Tents and Tundra

Wyobull

FNG
In the planning for 2023 Seems a seek tent with a stove could be a game changer but the bugs without a floor could also be a game changer, Anyone used the seek tent with the stove? Or tents without floors?

mooster

WKR
Ive used a flourless tipi for moose and caribou. Never had any bug issues but my hunt locations may be N or later than others.

Will be using my cimarron in two weeks on the tundra. Floorless is the way to go in AK in my opinion. Tent stakes are the biggest issue on tundra, normal short straight stakes don’t hold anything.

Will be using my cimarron in two weeks on the tundra. Floorless is the way to go in AK in my opinion. Tent stakes are the biggest issue on tundra, normal short straight stakes don’t hold anything.

Use ground stakes the in somewhat the same way you'd use them in deep, soft snow. Believe me, they'll stay put.

Floorless in Alaska for caribou and moose and NEVER had a bug problem. Have never used a tent with a floor there and never wished for otherwise. A couple of bugs aren't going to change my mind either.

HoneyDew

WKR
Use ground stakes the in somewhat the same way you'd use them in deep, soft snow. Believe me, they'll stay put.

Floorless in Alaska for caribou and moose and NEVER had a bug problem. Have never used a tent with a floor there and never wished for otherwise. A couple of bugs aren't going to change my mind either.
What stakes you guys recommend for a cimarron?

I did a float hunt in Alaska in 2011. I used a Cabela's four-man four season dome tent. I had a lot of issues with condensation. One of my friends had a small floorless tepee style tent without any stove. He looked pretty miserable most of the trip, he didn't have the proper stakes for the riverbank, it varied from all sand to large boulders. A small stove would have been a huge help with the condensation. I have since bought a Kifaru 8-man tepee with a stove and would not hesitate to take it if I ever went again. I would make sure you have the proper number and type of stakes for the terrane you'll be in. As mentioned above the 10" msr cyclones and kifaru SST pins would be a good choice. I would also suggest you get a liner and ground sheet as well.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
For tundra camping I use a combination of MSR cyclone stakes and Snow Stakes...they always securely hold my SO 4-man and/or Hilleberg four-season in the heavy winds that are often part of the adventure.

*zap*

WKR
The snow stakes are pretty good for snow/sand. They are much wider than regular stakes and will need a bigger loop to fit over them.

Last edited:
What do you floorless tundra folk do to keep your bag dry?

I personally sleep on an ultralight cot (mine is a Luxury Lite) which elevates me above the ground. I found the cot to be far more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, tundra, etc....and my bag stays dry.

If no cot, I would bring a piece of Tyvek at least 2' longer and wider than my sleeping bag to place beneath it and the pad.

For condensation protection I always use liners in my floorless shelter. Lots of opinions on this but the liners never fail me and I don't have to take other measures against condensation.

mooster

WKR
I used long twisted type stakes (Amazon) for tundra and lake hunts as moss doesn’t allow much bite for normal stakes.

I use a tyvek ground sheet under my sleeping pad. Cot not best for me as a side sleeper.

Last edited:
Took a SO tent on a opening week northern brooks sheep hunt a handful of years ago. The bugs were so awful that we had to wear our rain gear and bug neat the whole trip. When we set the tent, we just zipped it close and within about 60 seconds every mosquito was at the apex of the tent. Opened the top zipper and just swatted them all out and that was it; no more bugs for the night.

Went with the SO tent last year moose hunting instead of the Arctic Oven to save on weight b/c I was solo. Had a couple voles living with me the whole trip. The last day I had all of my camp at the lake ready for pickup and was sitting in a chair reading a book in my empty tent waiting for an airplane. One of my little buddies came into the tent and looked around like "where the hell did all of our stuff go?" The floorless heated tents are nice enough and have their place, but if you want a true game changer for Alaska hunting and have the weight, the Arctic Oven is on a whole different level.

If not hauling camp on my back and I know I'll be setting camp on tundra, I have these Durapeg stakes. Made in the USA and built for the task.
Edit to add pic: 31DAF8D0-CDA4-401E-BFFA-27277D2C7650.jpeg

Voyageur

WKR
No condensation in the bivy?
I'm sure there was some, but is was never anything that I noticed. Years ago I developed the habit (picked it up from a buddy who introduced me to backpacking) of any time there is a nice day I set my sleeping bag outside for a few hours to air/dry out. I keep it in the bivy when doing this. Also, as mentioned by @twincedar a piece of tyvek under your sleeping pad adds additional protection. The tyvek ground cloth sold by Seek Outside is just the right size for me. Depending on conditions, sometimes I use both the bivy and tyvek, sometimes one or the other, and other times I use neither.
Hope this helps.