Tents that use trekking poles?

Elite

WKR
So o was pretty set on buying the LBO tent from seek outside side due to being able to
Use it with a stove. But I am wondering what everyone does that uses trekking poles to pitch it with. Do you you guys just fold the tent up every morning to use your poles for the day? I often camp at the same location every night. So now if I add the weight for the carbon pole/nest the weight is more then most freestanding tents. So I am wondering what the best way to go is for my next tent purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really surprised nobody has responded to this yet.

I have a tent that requires two poles and I have also contemplated how this would work. This particular tent could also be setup by stringing it between two trees, but that means finding a spot that is both flat and with two trees the correct distance apart.

I recently found a tent that only requires one trekking pole but provides the same sq ft and am considering switching because I would then have my other pole available.

All that said, I’m guessing most guys do not carry trekking now poles with them after they setup camp. You can’t carry them and handle binoculars, bow/rifle, range finder, calls, etc. They could also be a liability by banging on branches during a stalk making an unnatural sound.

Skinnj01

FNG
I use a mountain Smith tarp uses 2 trekking poles floor less. Great early season. But my poles stay in pack unless we are packing meat. You dont need them til you need them. Going the ultra lite carrying camp on our back everyday style. You gotta take them.but if your camping in same spot dont see why you couldn't leave them. And go back to.get them.after you have meat to haul out.
Good question.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Really surprised nobody has responded to this yet.

I have a tent that requires two poles and I have also contemplated how this would work. This particular tent could also be setup by stringing it between two trees, but that means finding a spot that is both flat and with two trees the correct distance apart.

I recently found a tent that only requires one trekking pole but provides the same sq ft and am considering switching because I would then have my other pole available.

All that said, I’m guessing most guys do not carry trekking now poles with them after they setup camp. You can’t carry them and handle binoculars, bow/rifle, range finder, calls, etc. They could also be a liability by banging on branches during a stalk making an unnatural sound.

Thanks for the input, I don’t think I would ever personally leave my poles at camp on a sheep hunt. They are a game changer for hiking once you get used to them you start relying on them a lot

I bought a trekking pole tent for my hunt this fall but later thought about this very scenario. I ended up buying a pair of collapsible aluminum tent poles on sale at KUIU so I can leave my spike camp intact in the event I want to use my t poles while hunting.

Mike 338

WKR
I've never considered the trekking pole tent pole a good option for a hunter. I guess most people use their poles to get to a destination and that's it. Hunters... heck, they're always at the bottom of some ugly place and need to climb out.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can always use sticks you cut on site, or collapse the shelter and weight it down. Heck, even if you carry dedicated poles and a nest you may be the same weight as a floored tent but with a helluva lot more space and headroom. Or, you can buy a trekking pole extender and keep one pole with you to use and leave the other one with the shelter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

worx53

WKR
I use a tarptent stratospire 1 & 2 which both require trek poles of some sort. the strat 1 takes 2- 48" poles and the 2 takes 2-50" poles. I took old carbon arrows cut to 3 equal length pieces and then cut 4 sleeves at about 3.5 inches each from old Easton 2114 arrows and glued them hallway the length of the sleeve to two of the cut carbon sections to make a 2- 3 piece poles that slide together like a normal tent pole but with no shock cords. Almost everyone has a couple old junk arrows (ask a buddy if you don't) and I now have superlight poles I pack with the tents so I can take my trek poles with me and not mess with the tent.

Last edited:
If you're that hungup about leaving a pole or two behind just cut some sticks. Or leave it droopy on the ground. Either is fine.

Another option: my Benro tripod has a leg that you can unscrew and use as a monopod, could always use that in a pinch.

I love the ease of setting up a trekking pole shelter. Way faster than deploying a pole and getting all the segments in alignment and then threading through the tent.

I also don't use pole while hunting unless there's a big climb where I don't expect to see animals (bow on my pack) or the hunting is "over," i.e. past dark, tagged out.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use trekking poles while packing in. While hunting I normally don't because I'm already "up" and not doing a ton of gain, plus I want fast access to rifle or bow and a pole in your hand can hinder that. Packing out meat I want my poles. So it's not much of an issue for me.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I use a tarptent stratospire 1 & 2 which both require trek poles of some sort. the strat 1 takes 2- 48" poles and the 2 takes 2-50" poles. I took old carbon arrows cut to 3 equal length pieces and then cut 4 sleeves at about 3.5 inches each from old Easton 2114 arrows and glued them hallway the length of the sleeve to two of the cut carbon sections to make a 2- 3 piece poles that slide together like a normal tent pole but with no shock cords. Almost everyone has a couple old junk arrows (ask a buddy if you don't) and I now have superlight poles I pack with the tents so I can take my trek poles with me and not mess with the tent.

That seems like a good idea, what did you use for the sleeve part?

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
If you're that hungup about leaving a pole or two behind just cut some sticks. Or leave it droopy on the ground. Either is fine.

Another option: my Benro tripod has a leg that you can unscrew and use as a monopod, could always use that in a pinch.

I love the ease of setting up a trekking pole shelter. Way faster than deploying a pole and getting all the segments in alignment and then threading through the tent.

I also don't use pole while hunting unless there's a big climb where I don't expect to see animals (bow on my pack) or the hunting is "over," i.e. past dark, tagged out.

Has anybody left there tent collapsed during a rain storm? I am wondering how wet it would get with the water pooling in some areas. They stick idea is good but timber is hard to come by while sheep hunting

Carlin59

WKR
My solo tent is a GoLite SL3 that I use two trekking poles for (it did come with an aluminum pole I never take). It’s pretty rare that I keep camp setup during the day, usually move daily. I’m a huge trekking pole fan and always have them with me. The few times I’ve left the SL3 setup for multiple days, I just pull the poles in the morning, leave the stakes in place, half fold up the fly while still staked, and place a decent sized stick or rock on it just to keep it from flapping. Haven’t had any problems yet doing it that way. Honestly though, most mornings I just pull camp completely. It adds ~6lbs during the day, but no need to backtrack to a set location or worry about your gear during the day.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Has anybody left there tent collapsed during a rain storm? I am wondering how wet it would get with the water pooling in some areas. They stick idea is good but timber is hard to come by while sheep hunting

I would get a set of custom carbon fiber poles from Ruta Locura if you are dead set on keeping your trekking poles with you. Custom lengths and diameters from those guys, and extremely lightweight. If you wanted dedicated aluminum poles, get John at BPWD to make you a set to your specs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For my trekking pole shelters, I have just pulled them and left the shelter staked to the ground for the day. Have not had a bad rain storm to deal with when I have done that so cannot comment on that. Done it with both a Megatarp and a Mtn Smith shelter.

worx53

WKR
That seems like a good idea, what did you use for the sleeve part?

The cut Easton 2114's are the short sleeves that the next carbon piece slides into. They fit over several carbon shaft brands ( they work great as footings also).
So cut the 2114 sleeves double the length you want to go over each carbon section and glue it halfway down the sleeve. These are the toughest homemade super lightweight trek poke replacements ever.
Will post pics later ..really simple to make

These are cx400 from Walmart I think with 2114 Easton sleeves. Full nock on one end that fits the tarp side and trimmed nock on the other for the ground. These are 16" for a combined 48"...1.2 ounces for each 48" pole.
Cabela's Hunter shafts 65-80 are same size
2a1a00efef13fa4d8a1728fac336e1f1.jpg
63d414d863a6aa3793d08544f7d56175.jpg

Last edited:

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
I recently purchased a trekking pole tent and was wondering the same. So i went to Walmart and baught cheap second pair of trekking poles and i plan to cary one of them to camp strapped to my pack so i still have my good ones to use after setting up camp. It may not solve your weight issue but its the cheapest solution i thought of other than a stick or pulling your shelter support each day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
The cut Easton 2114's are the short sleeves that the next carbon piece slides into. They fit over several carbon shaft brands ( they work great as footings also).
So cut the 2114 sleeves double the length you want to go over each carbon section and glue it halfway down the sleeve. These are the toughest homemade super lightweight trek poke replacements ever.
Will post pics later ..really simple to make

These are cx400 from Walmart I think with 2114 Easton sleeves. Full nock on one end that fits the tarp side and trimmed nock on the other for the ground. These are 16" for a combined 48"...1.2 ounces for each 48" pole.
Cabela's Hunter shafts 65-80 are same size
2a1a00efef13fa4d8a1728fac336e1f1.jpg
63d414d863a6aa3793d08544f7d56175.jpg

That is a awesome idea, and crazy light weight, do you find they are sturdy enough tho in high winds? They are a lot smaller diameter then a trekking pole and have you had any issues with out having any height adjustability?

worx53

WKR
My tarps take a specific height ( tarptent sells an aluminum pole kit separately)but I have used the 50" on the 48" ...a couple inches doesn't seem to matter much.
I've never broken any...only been in 35 mph winds but these seem tougher than the aluminum.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk