Tents that use trekking poles?

I just pull my trekking poles out and let the tarp collapse over the gear I am leaving in camp. When I return to camp, reinsert the trekking poles. You can also cut sticks or branches at your camp instead of carrying a dedicated set of poles if you don’t want to use your trekking poles.

For me, I am trying to cut weight, no way am I carrying extra poles.

worx53

WKR
I just pull my trekking poles out and let the tarp collapse over the gear I am leaving in camp. When I return to camp, reinsert the trekking poles. You can also cut sticks or branches at your camp instead of carrying a dedicated set of poles if you don’t want to use your trekking poles.

For me, I am trying to cut weight, no way am I carrying extra poles.
At 2 ounces the arrows are less than a Snickers...lol
I have done the collapse before as well but it sucks when it rains/ snows.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

At 2 ounces the arrows are less than a Snickers...lol
I have done the collapse before as well but it sucks when it rains/ snows.

I do have a bunch of old carbon and aluminum arrows, I find uses for them all the time. Kudos to you for ingenuity.

Grover

FNG
I bought an LBO last year and found that a 5’ stick works as good as anything and is one less thing to pack in.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I bought an LBO last year and found that a 5’ stick works as good as anything and is one less thing to pack in.

How do you like the LBO system? I agree with the stick but in some sheep country sticks are hard to come by

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
My tarps take a specific height ( tarptent sells an aluminum pole kit separately)but I have used the 50" on the 48" ...a couple inches doesn't seem to matter much.
I've never broken any...only been in 35 mph winds but these seem tougher than the aluminum.

Are they bendy or get unstable at the 50” mark? I would need one to be 60”

Grover

FNG
I love the LBO. Getting the set up right is the key.

I hunt at treeline so don’t have a problem finding a good branch that is sturdy. I have tried the trek pole system and toyed with ways to connect them but ended up just using a branch. I measure it from my boots to my chin and cut it. Once I set up my tent I don’t move it so this works well for me.

So o was pretty set on buying the LBO tent from seek outside side due to being able to
Use it with a stove. But I am wondering what everyone does that uses trekking poles to pitch it with. Do you you guys just fold the tent up every morning to use your poles for the day? I often camp at the same location every night. So now if I add the weight for the carbon pole/nest the weight is more then most freestanding tents. So I am wondering what the best way to go is for my next tent purchase?

How much $$ are you willing to spend and do you really need a nest? Also, if a stove jack is a requirement, than I would assume the places you'll be using it will have plenty of wood. If that is the case, why not just use a stick cut to size? I'm a big fan of DCF, and with the exception of my 12 person tipi, all my floorless shelters are DCF. Seek Outside is making several of their shelters available in DCF now, and there are tons more from various other manufactures as well. A HMG Ultamid 2 is a very decently sized shelter for two and even with a dedicated CF pole, it comes in at around 23-24 oz., not including stakes. That's pretty good for a shelter that's close to 65 sq. ft. You throw in a 5 oz. UL bivy and you're golden. All the coverage and durability you could ask for, even in the most windy, bug infested areas (although typically those two don't go hand in hand). Anyway, just a few things to consider.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
How much $$ are you willing to spend and do you really need a nest? Also, if a stove jack is a requirement, than I would assume the places you'll be using it will have plenty of wood. If that is the case, why not just use a stick cut to size? I'm a big fan of DCF, and with the exception of my 12 person tipi, all my floorless shelters are DCF. Seek Outside is making several of their shelters available in DCF now, and there are tons more from various other manufactures as well. A HMG Ultamid 2 is a very decently sized shelter for two and even with a dedicated CF pole, it comes in at around 23-24 oz., not including stakes. That's pretty good for a shelter that's close to 65 sq. ft. You throw in a 5 oz. UL bivy and you're golden. All the coverage and durability you could ask for, even in the most windy, bug infested areas (although typically those two don't go hand in hand). Anyway, just a few things to consider.

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the DCF tents and the weight is very attractive but the price tags seem to be very high especially for a Canadian customer right now. In my sheep hunting area in the early season there is a lot of bugs/mice. I have never used a floor less before so I just assumed I would need a nest? Unless some one can convince they are not needed. In the late season there should be wood available in the spot I am planning to hunt not so much the early season tho

bamagun

FNG
Ive been using the LBO with the trekking pole and pole extender from rutalocura and just pulled the poles out each day that I wanted to camp in the same spot. This year Ill be using the dyneema cimarron and am just going to get a deticated pole from rutalocura since its going to be 72 in. I will, however, use the LBO when it gets cold and I need to run the stove and then Ill just take the trekking poles out again and put them back when I get back to camp (if I ever stay in one spot more than one night)

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Ive been using the LBO with the trekking pole and pole extender from rutalocura and just pulled the poles out each day that I wanted to camp in the same spot. This year Ill be using the dyneema cimarron and am just going to get a deticated pole from rutalocura since its going to be 72 in. I will, however, use the LBO when it gets cold and I need to run the stove and then Ill just take the trekking poles out again and put them back when I get back to camp (if I ever stay in one spot more than one night)

How does the shelter do when it is collapsed in the wind and rain? And is there any chance the base and vestibule fit 2 with a stove?

How does the shelter do when it is collapsed in the wind and rain? And is there any chance the base and vestibule fit 2 with a stove?

I never collapsed mine and just left it staked out (I used a dedicated carbon fiber pole, so there was no need to do that), but I did use it on occasion with a buddy, and I would not feel comfortable using it with 2, and a wood burning stove. Just too tight IMO. Also, in regards to the nest vs. bivy, I also have a two person SO nest that I did occasionally use in my LBO (now I just occasionally use it in my tipi), and it weighs 22 oz. on my scale, compared to UL silnylon bivy's that weigh 6 oz. My LBO, with everything (3 piece vestibule, seam sealed, guy lines, stakes, and 8.5 oz. CF pole), weighed 49 oz. total.

sneaky

"DADDY"

No way I would try two and a stove in my LBO with just base and vestibule. You want two and a stove you need a double base setup, or a connecting tarp

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bamagun

FNG

Ive never had it rain with the shelter collapsed on the ground, but since its floorless you wont technically have to worry about rain getting "in" the tent since there is no floor to contain it. There will probably be some moisture on the inside of the fabric, but I bet most of that would just run off once you pitch it back up. As far as two guys with a stove using the base/vestibule option, you can just turn the stove lengthways and then sleep lengthways too, BUT YOU BETTER NOT DO ANY TOSSING IN THE NIGHT (and youre probably going to be all over the tent walls too). In my opinion, if you plan on needing to run the stove, I would go ahead and tote the extra pound and put the tarp section in the middle and you will have more room than you could ever need. I think the weight with all three pieces is something like 47oz and you end up with enough room for two guys, a stove, both packs, a place for two guys to sit, and still enough room to spread gear out to let dry. Again, for the price, you cant go wrong with picking up the tarp (have them sew a jack in the tarp) and having that option if you need all that extra room.. Also know that the usable "floor" space on the vestibule side is slightly less than the base side due to it not being quite as tall.

Last edited: