Tenzing packs for hauling out?

I tried a empty Tenzing pack at Cabela’s the other day and it didn’t feel too bad. I’m going on my first elk hunt and don’t have 500 for a pack to see if I like it. What’s the word on maybe using a 6000 for 1 or two hunts?

Tradchef

WKR
If you’re dead set on a tenzig I’d go back and load it up and walk around the store with it. Personally......I’d look in the classifieds, save a few extra bucks and go with an exo, Kifaru, SG or MR.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
Anyone know anything about the mystery ranch non hunting packs. Some of them look like they are right color for hunting and can be had for under 200.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
Budget is whatever’s cheapest! All joking aside, I can find lightly used kuiu for 350 or a team elk for 200. The Tenzing popped up because I have found them under 200 and on paper they fit the bill for a first time DIY elk/deer hunt without a huge outlay of cash. I already own a Kelty Redwing from backpacking years ago that is still in good shape and handles a luxury camp setup well for several miles. Should I just try that with a camo rain cover? Guy I’m hunting with has Kuiu everything so I’m probably getting some biased opinions.

Vaultman

WKR
Budget is whatever’s cheapest! All joking aside, I can find lightly used kuiu for 350 or a team elk for 200. The Tenzing popped up because I have found them under 200 and on paper they fit the bill for a first time DIY elk/deer hunt without a huge outlay of cash. I already own a Kelty Redwing from backpacking years ago that is still in good shape and handles a luxury camp setup well for several miles. Should I just try that with a camo rain cover? Guy I’m hunting with has Kuiu everything so I’m probably getting some biased opinions.
I went a few years ago with my 15 year old Kelty Internal Frame Hiking backpack, with one minor mod (a gun bearer added). Not the best but it worked. Kuiu doesn't make the elk dumber. It makes us think we are cooler even though we aren't. (Maybe we are the dumber ones?)

Don't get all wrapped up in having the latest and greatest on your first go... just go. The buy once, cry once motto is ok for something you know you are going to repeatedly do. But I know so many people that buy the top of the line gear use it once and then either didn't like the experience or can't go again for some reason (work, family, other hobbies, age, medical). Then they sell it, taking the $200 hit, when they could have bought the Tenzing for $200 and still owned it to go again. (It's kinda like leasing a car).
Sure it can be a little daunting being the only one with a "Non-hunting brand" pack (or tent, or ......), and looking like a hiker out of the 1980's (like me), and not having the new sitka optifade camo everything. But that stuff isn't all needed.

You don't need a laser scanner to resolve a property line (assuming you are a land surveyor).

Hessticles

Lil-Rokslider
I've hauled a few elk out with my TZ 6000, couple being 100+ lbs. I might actually be selling mine, it's been a good pack, but when I have it loaded real heavy it hurts my shoulders.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
I went a few years ago with my 15 year old Kelty Internal Frame Hiking backpack, with one minor mod (a gun bearer added). Not the best but it worked. Kuiu doesn't make the elk dumber. It makes us think we are cooler even though we aren't. (Maybe we are the dumber ones?)

Don't get all wrapped up in having the latest and greatest on your first go... just go. The buy once, cry once motto is ok for something you know you are going to repeatedly do. But I know so many people that buy the top of the line gear use it once and then either didn't like the experience or can't go again for some reason (work, family, other hobbies, age, medical). Then they sell it, taking the $200 hit, when they could have bought the Tenzing for $200 and still owned it to go again. (It's kinda like leasing a car).
Sure it can be a little daunting being the only one with a "Non-hunting brand" pack (or tent, or ......), and looking like a hiker out of the 1980's (like me), and not having the new sitka optifade camo everything. But that stuff isn't all needed.

You don't need a laser scanner to resolve a property line (assuming you are a land surveyor).
Any advice referencing land surveying and laser scanners is awesome!

lkwoolsey

WKR
I tried a empty Tenzing pack at Cabela’s the other day and it didn’t feel too bad. I’m going on my first elk hunt and don’t have 500 for a pack to see if I like it. What’s the word on maybe using a 6000 for 1 or two hunts?
I bought one years ago. First trip out, one of the zippers blew out. I wasn't packing much weight, all I did was put my sleeping bag back in the bottom compartment. I put a bit of weight in it one time, but it was not super comfortable. I seriously doubt it would be comfortable with a hindquarter in it. Thats if something didn't blow out. That's just my opinion, but I would go Kifaru for sure (or Kuiu, Stone Glacier, Exo, etc. I prefer Kifaru.)

Dcaccia

FNG
I got a tz3000 off Amazon only to find out their one size fits all belt is too big for me with any weight in it. I’m a 32-34 waist. Dropped the cash on a MR Metcalf and the difference in quality is very apparent. Zips buckles are a lot beefier, tons of adjustability. Tenzing may serve you well, just make sure that it fits, and know that you’ll probably end up upgrading packs in the future.

Try a surplus ILBE pack $80-150. Many have used it to haul elk. Watch Bryce Slively’s YouTube video. He does an 11-mile packout with one.

Some complain about the comfort but I think a lot of that comes down to not adjusting properly. When you get the torso length right and frame stays bent to the shape of your back, it is more comfortable than $250 lightweight backpacking packs. And that MARPAT camo pattern is BA lol.

You can also get it down to about 6.5-7lbs by cutting off some stuff that civilian users don’t need.

What's your plan? Truck camping and just looking for a meat hauler, pack in hunt 10 miles in and up? I used my dad's old 60s vintage Kelty for my first 10 years. Then went to a Dana Design long bed, then Kifaru, and now Seek Outside. If your old Kelty is comfortable loaded up and fits you, you'll honestly be fine with it for most circumstances. You may have to get a little creative cinching a bag of meat or a quarter to the frame- but you'll also look like a cool seasoned local instead of some duded up out of stater decked out in Kuiu! 🙂 I really like the pack I have now, but I wouldn't hesitate to use any old external frame pack if it fits you if that's your budget. Personally I wouldn't bother with a rain fly. Buy some cheap ultralite roll top dry bags from STP and pack your clothing in them. Since a rainfly is really only covering about 2/3s of the pack, if its heavy or extended rain the inside will still get wet. My 2 cents. Get in shape, get out there, and have a great time!

Tradchef

WKR

There’s some really good deals on the used market now. The MR Beartooth or the pop ups are getting stellar reviews and it looks like you can get into them for about 300. It’s about comfort, what fits and what you want to do with it. I used an eberlestock x2 for years. It hauled well but it was the most uncomfortable hauler after I had 60lbs or more in it. I’ve packed them out in REI bags as well. If you know you are going to use it more than once or can use it for another application that’s a bonus. Check the closeouts from all the manufacturers or call them and see if they have any seconds or returns cheap. Nothing wrong with Kuiu. Good price point and gets the job done. The osprey Atmos series can haul some meat as well. Good price point too. If you can find an older MR Crewcab or Metcalf with NICE frame you can get into those for around 275 to 300. Not the lightest but they can haul a ton and keep you comfy.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
I worry that the kelty I have won’t handle a awkward item like a quarter well due to the locations of the compression straps. I’ve hiked with 35lbs in it recently and it worked ok, but I need to make a ruck weight around 65 to really see how it works loaded up. Honestly I better concentrate on getting the quarter before I waste a lot of time figuring out what do do once I have one.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
And I will probably be maybe packing in for a night or if I get caught late out there. Probably walking in from a somewhat permanent campsite if we can find the general area where they are.

Hessticles

Lil-Rokslider
We bone everything out right there at kill site, 3 times we have packed out a whole elk between 2 of us In 1 trip but dont carry much gear