Tenzing Packs

GrayGhost

FNG
Looking for some feed back on there bigger packs? Feel, fit, durability etc. I know there are some of you out there that have gotten a chance to try them out. Let's hear your thoughts!

I was able to play around with them a little at the ATA show this year and our shop did order them in. My issues in the past have stemmed from my under 29" waist and I have to be honest...the Tenzing fit me. I was super impressed with the fit and feel (unloaded) of their packs and can't wait to actually throw some weight in them when we see them.

The expansion of the pack for hauling meat out is very thought out keeping it close to your back with mess on both sides to allow air to flow through and keep your meat cool. Colored zippers to the different compartments so you know if you are getting into your main or a secondary pouch. Very well thought out and through.

For those of us hunting bear country the waist pockets are independently adjustable from the waist harness which will allow for wearing a side arm under your waist pockets without the loss of room!!!

Hope that helps a little.

cmeier117

WKR
The thing I am confused by is the size difference in there TZ 6000 and TZ 5000. The 6000 is 6013 Cu inches and the 5000 is 5620 Cu inches. They seem like the same pack?

OP
G

GrayGhost

FNG
cmeler117, I thought the same thing myself! I might as well buy the TZ6000 for what 10 more ounces. Need to get a Tenzing rep on here to elaborate some!

D

david long

Several Rokslide members will have Tenzing packs in their hands shortly. We will get some reviews up ASAP!

cmeier117

WKR
The price difference is one 10 bucks I think. It is just a few inches taller. I was thinking the 5000 would be better to save 10 oz. ;)

Don't be fooled by the "numbers" on the packs. The Tenzing 6000 is 6013 FULLY EXPANDED. Without expansion you are looking down at a 4500 cubic inch pack where the 5000 Expands to 5620. BUT you will only see 4000 out of it when not in MEAT HAULER MODE.

D

david long

[FONT=&quot]OK guys, I know there is a little confusion as to why the Tenzing 5000 and 6000 are so similar in size. Here’s the scoop:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Just visited with Jay Robert (pack designer) and Bryan Emrich (Vice President of Marketing, Tenzing) about the packs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The key difference is the entire torso systems; they are about 2” shorter on the 5000 versus the 6000. Jay’s ultimate goal was to design a pack that came in right at the 5500 ci mark that fit well for both the hunter under 5'10", as well as one for the taller guys. In reality, the difference is minimal and both can be adjusted from S to XXL via the torso adjustment system. Basically the 5000 is 2 inches shorter.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is a direct quote from Jay:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“At Tenzing we understand hunters always go in with less weight then they come out with. Sooooo ... We advanced our packs to having two ultra-light fluted vertical stays and one horizontal at the top. Totaling 3 stays. This combination is the ultimate in load stabilization without adding weight. Our load lifters work really good. We have two sizes on the platforms. The TZ 5000 fits really good on people up to 5' 10" and the TZ 6000 fit those over 5' 10" by adding 2" in the platform length.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In summary, don’t let the pack size be the deciding factor when you go to purchase one of these packs, let your torso length decide. If you are 5’ 10” or shorter, then the 5000 should be your pack of choice. If you are over 5’ 10”, then the 6000 should fit you nicely.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hope this helps clear up any confusion.[/FONT]

B

bearguide

photos of what, for the contest ? i would like to get a look at there pack, are they near SLC

D

david long

bearguide,

The designer of the packs (Jay Robert) lives in Idaho. He was one of the founders of Black's Creek. Then he left Black's Creek and joined Tenzing which is actually owned by Plano. They won't actually be shipping packs until May 1.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am looking forward to a relationship with Tenzing! Finding a pack that fits me can be difficult. Tenzing has answered my call!

Last edited: