Terrain type for new spot and stalk hunter

I’m looking for opinions on what type of terrain is best to start learning the ins and outs of spot and stalk hunting. I’m from Wisconsin, but I have been getting out westish a couple times of year as of late. I realize there’s a pretty vast variance in terrain types, what types do you more experienced hunters recommend to start out on? I’ve tried the Sandhills in Nebraska a couple days last year and it seemed very hard to keep tract of deer in the smaller hills. Would big mountains with 500-1000 foot elevation changes be better or maybe 200-300 footers? My guess would be Maybe the areas with 200-400 foot hills/mountains with Trees scattered around throughout but where it’s still open? Would any of you agree to that thought process or not? Thanks

Calbuck

WKR
The animals will be where you find them, and with that they will very seldom be where you want them to be. If you are not comfortable with the terrain they are in you will be at a disadvantage so you should practice in all types of terrain and for all types of situations. When you are out in the hunting grounds, analyze the area you are in and pick out points where you could visualize making a stalk to. The next step would to be actually go out and do the stalk. Knowing your hunting area is key.

Rich M

WKR
Get high and let your eye do the walking. If you don't find anything you might be looking in the wrong kinds of places.

Shy of a buck feeding in an open field, deer are hard to follow as they meander around - that's why many guys wait for them to bed before trying a stalk. They hope the deer will lay up for an hour or two while they do what they have to to cover enough ground, get downwind, etc. and move in.

I wouldn't ever limit yourself to trying to just learn spot and stalk. Spending time behind any glass in terrain that let's you see country will help you develop your ability to spot game; which is first and foremost. The stalk can also be practiced, but isn't always the logical conclusion. Often times you spot and pattern animals, then move in for a ambush in a spot you know they frequent. When I rifle hunt, I'll often scout areas and then set up with a shooting/glassing position that lets me get on the animals as soon as I spot them. (My primary technique in burns)

OP
WI in the west
Thanks guys, from what im Understanding from All of you is maybe don’t worry so much what I hunt terrain wise and just focus on studying and learning every part of the land and animals I can in what ever area I happen to be. And when you learn tendencies is when you will find success or maybe more so opportunities I should say

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
You can definitely look for an area with certain characteristics, so the odds they end up in good stalking terrain are higher. The sandhills are difficult to stalk in because of no great landmarks. I typically use clumps of grass, yuccas, or unique hills.

In SD there is a wide variety of habitats you can find muleys. There is near mountainous sections of the black hills, the badlands (lots of washes, breaks, valleys), flat plains, river breaks, sandhills, and ag fields. Many states have a similar breakdown. MT has breaks, mountains, plains, and ag. Wyoming does as well.

For spot and stalking, and particularly learning it, I would select an area where there is more breaks and washes and some vegetation. Deer typically will bed in this "rough" country, but it is easy enough to stalk in because of the different terrain features. For me that means river breaks and badland type areas. Stalking deer in flat plains or sandhills can be difficult because of the lack of cover. Not impossible, but harder. Areas with huge elevation changes (large mountains) have their own difficulties, most of which are more logistics of being up there and less purely with stalking.

My typical process is something like this:
Find a high spot, 100+ ft higher than where you suspect deer to be, and glass. Wait till they make their day-bed, and then stalk in. Deer where I hunt typically bed more than once in a morning. Around 9 am or so they will bed, sit for about an 30 mins to an hour and then move (sometimes a half a mile or more). Usually the second bed they make will be there day-bed. Stalking on the first bed is risky because they are likely to move. So once in their day-bed I will look over every little detail I can, the draw or cover they are in or near, the vegetation around, and other deer. Once I have an idea with this I will look for route to stalk through this cover taking in account the wind and other factors. After I come up with a plan, I head down from the glassing spot and use my plan and try and get the deer.

I certainly don't have the experience other people do on this site, to this day I have made 7 stalks with archery equipment, punched 2 tags, missed twice, and have been under fifty yards on every stalk but 1. I pick and choose my stalks very carefully though, and won't stalk if I think I will spook the deer (unless it's the last day, then I will take more risks)

Learning an area and how the animals react on the landscape is great, and a for-sure method to get on some deer, but it can take years to learn an area well. Developing good spot and stalk skills will help you fill tags, especially in new areas.

OP
WI in the west
I have heard some similar things to what you said before, i do like the 100+ feet higher idea and the land mark stuff thats definatly something im going to look for now, thanks.

Scottyboy

WKR
I got schooled in Nebraska 2 years ago on spot and stalk. My biggest take away was to slow down, glass...then glass some more and then, slow down even more.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I got schooled in Nebraska 2 years ago on spot and stalk. My biggest take away was to slow down, glass...then glass some more and then, slow down even more.
That's a good point too. Anytime I get to an area I wasn't previously able to see I try to always stop and glass. Definitely pick out more deer that way.

Tomks

FNG
Try some canyon country to learn to spot and stalk. It allows you an opportunity to make a move on deer and gain some quality experience.

OP
WI in the west
I had the same problem in nebraska last year. it seemed the deer would bed in bowls in the sun and out of the wind even though it was hitting 80 degrees in late october. making it hard to get an eye on them until its to late.

By canyon country are you meaning rocky terrain with less trees so you can see long distances and have better chances with circling around and droppoing down on bedded deer?

Tomks

FNG
Not necessarily rocky but yeah a place you see out make a move on one and gain some experience doing it. The sand hills is tough to spot and stalk because it's so vast you have to figure out where the deer are gonna go and beat them there. In canyons you can take off after them because they're only so many options for the deer to head to.

OP
WI in the west
Ok i see what your saying, that does make a lot of sense why it was hard finding any tendencies on where the deer where or heading to in the sandhills now that you say it like that.

BlkMamba

FNG
Gotta love the Sandhills! They can humble even the most experienced spot and stalker. The great thing about them is that you can get in numerous opportunities to spot, bed, and stalk in on deer daily.

Lots of good advice here already. Every type of terrain will have its pros and cons. Consider how far you are comfortable and proficient shooting, and seek out terrains that will offer opportunities within that range. I'm a big fan of keeping it fun so explore some areas that simply call out to you and inspire you to explore. Before I left Idaho I was rifle hunting whitetail in steeper terrain with thicker timber. Now that I'm in Eastern Washington, I have fallen in love with spot & stalk bow hunting mule deer in the sage brush and rim rocks. Both landscapes have taught me a lot and made me a better hunter. With that, I would also say that variety is the spice of life so try out some different types of terrains and see what happens :)

jc91

FNG
I wouldn’t be worried about 500-1000 foot elevation if it were in 0.5-1 miles distance for an ideal spot and stalk hunt.

I have no idea what type of country is around you, but for me I prefer steep ground with big rocks. Steep ground helps with the spotting and the vantage, big rocks and boulder fields are virtually silent to walk on with normal footwear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk