Terrible at sausage making. Need help!

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I tend to use spices from butcher-packer.com. Their packets are made for 25 lbs of meat, but I discovered there wasn't enough flavor to my liking, so I us it for 20-23 lbs ( 16-17 pounds of elk meat and 4-5 pound of pure pork fat to get me in the ~20% fat range)
For sausage, I blend the seasoning with 1.5-2 cups of water before adding the mixture to the meat. Water helps to keep the sausage mixture from being too solid/sticky when stuffing into casings.

For grinding, I prefer to coarse grind the meat and then the fat separately. Then combine the coarse ground meat, coarse ground fat, and seasoning and then mix throughly by hand. Next I'll do a fine grind of the mixture (helps it to stuff casings consistently, and breaks up/removes more of the tougher silver skin bouncers. I hate taking a bite and getting a chunk of rubbery meat! Final step is to use a stuffer to put the sausage into casings. I found it goes a lot smoother with an actual stuffer rather than trying to stuff casings with a grinder attachment. If using fresh hog casings, be sure to thoroughly rinse off the salt, and soak the casings for 45-60 minutes in lukewarm water before attempting to stuff. This will make the casings really flexible and less likely to burst when stuffing.

I also like to add some diced Hatch green chilies and hi-temp cheese to my sausage (5-7%). I'll do this after the fine grind and before stuffing so the the chunks of chilie and cheese don't get ground up in the grinder.

I use the same process for loose sausage, such as breakfast or italian for spaghetti sauce except I'll shoot it directly into the poly bags out the grinder during the fine grind step.

mym93

FNG
I used to cut in/manage an old timey meat dept. in PA and we had a cult-like following for our sausage. I highly recommend checking out Pittsburgh Spice and Con-Yeager Spices. I believe both can be ordered online. I've tried just about every product both make and I've yet to come across anything better, but as others said in the thread, don't skimp on fat. once you have your meat chunked up and portioned out, add your spices, a little bit of water if necessary, mix, and let it sit overnight if possible before grinding. It makes a difference.

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
What do you guys prefer for casings?

Pros and cons?

mym93

FNG

Pros and cons?
Are you looking to make a rope/link style sausage or something more like trail bologna? If you're going to make a rope/link style sausage, get some good hog casings and soak them in cool/cold water for at least an hour if you have time, if you're pressed for time, you can put them in lukewarm water to get them soft and flexible faster but there will be a definite compromise in their strength as well in my experience and I would definitely stray from using hot water. Another good thing I've had luck with is taking some of the meat you're going to stuff it with and coating the sausage horn with either that or a little oil for lubrication before putting the casing on. Nothing is quite as frustrating as a casing that wont come off the horn and has blowouts all through it.

Last edited:

Ein

FNG
If a recipe calls for onion, shallots, dill, or garlic, just mince fresh ingredients. Dried or powder doesn’t even do it justice...

Pro953

WKR

Pros and cons?

Good natural hog casing. I used to order online but I live near a Whole Foods and they make a lot of sausage. I just walk and and let them know how much I am making a they sell or sometimes just give me some. I was burned to many times wit crappy casings when I ordered online. I would find a local butcher or market the lakes sausage and see if they will sell you some. Otherwise you may have some trial and error until you find a supply you are happy with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely check out Hank Shaw (Hunt, Gather, Cook) as stated above. Also look for recipes for traditional Brats, Italian Sausage and Cheddar Jalapeño brats. Tons the people have for beef or pork but work perfectly with wild game. And absolutely recommend a stuffer on the larger side, it gets extremely irritating always reloading the hopper on a smaller one.

Luckyrxc

FNG
Thanks to you all for the motivating pictures and suggestions...there’s hope for me too.

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
Always remember about seasonings - "you can always add but cannot take out!"

I think the main key is keeping it cool and finding spices that you like because we all have different likes. I prefer the coarser texture so I only grind once when making sausage and then mix spices, cool off, then stuff. For burger going to spaghetti or tacos is the only time I grind twice and with the fine plate. For sausage the once and medium plate is my go to. Id love to learn more curing processes and get set up to make pastrami and other interesting things!

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
I think the main key is keeping it cool and finding spices that you like because we all have different likes. I prefer the coarser texture so I only grind once when making sausage and then mix spices, cool off, then stuff. For burger going to spaghetti or tacos is the only time I grind twice and with the fine plate. For sausage the once and medium plate is my go to. Id love to learn more curing processes and get set up to make pastrami and other interesting things!

Try some sausage with a chili grind plate. It's very coarse but adds a ton of texture and is very good.

MHB

FNG
I struggled when I first started making fresh sausages with game meat. The thing that changed my product from having brick like consistency was adding about 25% pork shoulder to my mix. Without the pork/pork fat I feel like the links are too dense similar to an overcooked meatloaf.

In talking with several butchers and local sausage makers, they were all pretty consistent about the fat to lean ration of 25/75.

I would recommend starting our with fresh sausage (no cure) until you have a better understanding of the whole process. There are many great books out there Great Sausage and meat curing By Rytek Kutas) is the one I prefer. He goes in to great detail on keeping your sausages safe and proper handling of the product. He also has some great recipes in the book.

As far as casings I have been using Syracuse casing company. for over 10 years now and have never been disappointed with any of the products I purchase from them. I use the smallest sheep intestine for snack stix and their normal 34 to 36mm hog casing for brats hot dogs etc.. I went with them because they selling the casing pre-tubed and it makes it much easier to load on a stuffing horn.

As others have suggested I would recommend getting a dedicated stuffer if you are going to be doing snack stix or sausages much. Stuffing our of a grinder is just a PIA and in my opinion produces an inferior product. The grinder will heat your mix and cause the fat to streak and in my opinion over mix breaking down the little fat chunks.

Once you start getting in to cured products temperature control and heat curve are very important to minimize bacteria growth. Because sausage is a mixed product the potential for contamination is high. Keeping the product below 40*F throughout the entire grinding mixing and stuffing process is very important. The book mentioned above goes into great detail on this and walks you through the safe process.

Good Luck and happy sausage making

Matt

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
My biggest piece of advice would be to stick with proven recipes while you get started again vs. going "freestyle" and making your own recipes from scratch. I learned that the hard way when I was getting started when I came up with a decent spicy hunter type sausage I had used for venison rope type sausage. Everyone in the house, including the kids, liked the blend. The next year I had even more venison so decided to make a even bigger batch of the same recipe. When I was mixing my spices up I ran out of ground red pepper. I went to the store bought the same brand of red pepper I had before. What I didn't realize was the company had changed the scouville rating of their pepper. Meaning, the stuff I bought was so hot it was not edible. TOTAL bummer. If I would have been aware of and read the fine print it was all there but as a newbie, I had missed this detail and basically ruined my whole batch of sausage. Lesson learned. Also, on equipment, if you are questioning what size to buy, always bump up to the next size bigger unless you know you will always be doing same batchs. God luck!

I used to do a coarse grind then a finer grind, second grind took for ever to feed into grinder. Decided to try just the fine grinder plate one time and now thats all I use for sausages, snack sticks and burger. My fine plate is 4.8mm and the coarse is 8mm.

I mix my pork, pork trim, beef tallow or pork butt in at the same time I grind the game meat. I measure everything out and try to mix the meats and or fat evenly through the grinder. Once ground I have a pair of slick insulated barbecue gloves that I put on to mix the mix by hand, I use the insulated gloves so my fingers don't get so cold while mixing and I have no excuses to stop mixing until I get it mixed good.

Another thing a stuffer is good for is filling poly meat bags, any ground burger or ground breakfast sausage I make gets stuffed into 1 pound poly bags which are taped closed with the LEM bag taper machine deal. Poly bags can be had for $40 a 1000 off Amazon.

Here are some inspirational pics

3Vbkmw1.jpg

PIlPaGA.jpg

f4Mik6i.jpg

sdJnucK.jpg

z38ZO1m.jpg

WcCtOLo.jpg
Hey muddydog, great pics! What type of casing are you using? Never been able to get that long of a stuff without a blow out...