Tested out the Matty McMatt Face last night

After getting in a bit of pickle last year due to getting caught in a storm I’ve decided the bag and a makeshift sleep system needs to go with me wherever I go, especially if things are going to get much below freezing...

Got down to 11 degrees last night so I tested things out.

WM Kodiak GWS, Seek outside DST tarp (planning on using a 5x9 tarp to keep the total weight under 5lbs, but for now I’ve got the DST) and Seek Outside Matty McMatt face.

Mainly this was a test of the Matty Matt, as it’s going to serve as dual purpose sit pad, ground sheet, and emergency sleep pad. I wanted to see if I was going to get cold using just the folded over Matty Matt as a ground pad. I don’t want to plan on lugging around my Klymit Static V everywhere... it’s heavy at 24 oz. This is an emergency system, my goal was a total weight under 5lb that will get me through one night down to 0 F.

The Matty Matt performed surprisingly well. I was wearing poly pro base layers and an atom LT jacket and at no point did I feel cold. It wasn’t exactly comfortable but that wasn’t the point. I slept on just the once folded Matty until about 3am and switched up to the static V to get a better nights rest. I did a bit of squirrel hunting when I got up, and though there weren’t any squirrels moving around the Matty was a great sit pad, twice folded it was comfortable and roomy. I preferred it to the z seat which I find is too small.

The one and only downside was durability... with just one nights use I had several small holes and a tear from small sticks, etc. It’s relatively inexpensive, so if I tore one up every season it wouldn’t be the end of the world. There is a price to pay for only weighing in at 9oz after all.

Overall I’m pleased. I wouldn’t hesitate to spend a cold night with just the Matty as insulation if I had to. It might save a trip with a busted inflatable Matt. Not sure what it’s R value is folded once but I was pleasantly surprised given the conditions!

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
Thanks for the review. I have been considering skipping a ground sheet and running my lighter winter air pad with this pad. After dropping a sit pad for glassing, I'd be at an overall weight savings.
Do you think it would hold up if it was used as a sit pad on rocks?

How big is the rolled up mat?

OP
B
Thanks for the review. I have been considering skipping a ground sheet and running my lighter winter air pad with this pad. After dropping a sit pad for glassing, I'd be at an overall weight savings.
Do you think it would hold up if it was used as a sit pad on rocks?

How big is the rolled up mat?

5.5in x 21in all rolled up.

It might get a little torn up on rocks, but like someone else said it’s a wear item. Duct tape worked fine to patch any holes.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Folded over once the R value should be around 1.0, folded twice (torso length) it should be around 2.0. At 0 degrees you'd want to have an R value of 4-6 at minimum.

This pad is intended as a versatile backup / multi use item that can help get you through a bad night. It does that pretty well, especially compared to the 0 R value of a popped airpad. Supplementing with extra clothes, pack under the legs, raked up pine duff, etc will help.

1/8" thick foam is 1/8" thick foam. It will tear and pick up punctures....and still work, and is easy to patch with tape.

The pricing is intentionally affordable. The Exped Doublemat is a similar product at over double the price.

OP
B
Folded over once the R value should be around 1.0, folded twice (torso length) it should be around 2.0. At 0 degrees you'd want to have an R value of 4-6 at minimum.

This pad is intended as a versatile backup / multi use item that can help get you through a bad night. It does that pretty well, especially if you supplement with your pack, extra clothes, pine needles, etc.

1/8" thick foam is 1/8" thick foam. It will tear and pick up punctures....and still work, and is easy to patch with tape.

The pricing is intentionally affordable. The Exped Doublemat is a similar product at over double the price.

Yup, that’s pretty much what I wanted to see. Could this thing get me through if things went haywire? busted pad, unexpected storm, long ways from camp with a tracking job that needs to wait until morning, etc.

I think if I really got it down to 0 or if I used it all night I would’ve eventually gotten a bit chilly, but it worked, and I didn’t freeze. At the 10-15 degree range with a really high quality 0 bag and some extra clothes I was just fine.

It certainly doesn’t replace my main pad, and if I expect to spent a night away from camp I’ll probably grab my inflatable as well, but for an oh shit moment this will work, and it’s definitely worth the 9oz considering all it’s different uses.

Voyageur

WKR
Did Seek discontinue the Matty McMatt Face?
Their original supplier had a fire in their production facility. The last time I checked they were looking for a new supplier. I only know this becuase I ordered one right before they lost their original supplier and am waiting hoping they will be able to fill my order.

Their original supplier had a fire in their production facility. The last time I checked they were looking for a new supplier. I only know this becuase I ordered one right before they lost their original supplier and am waiting hoping they will be able to fill my order.

I ordered mine about a month ago and received it late last week, so they must be getting things up and running again. I imagine yours isn't far down that list.

Trial153

WKR
I like mine, it’s good replacement for a ground sheet. Does everything the ground sheet does while adding some cushion. Only real negative is the space it takes up.