Tested: Velocity Loss per 1" barrel chopped off

Hi All,

In case anyone else is considering shortening their barrel (in my case to use with a suppressor on a 300wsm) and would love to reference an actual test, here are some done by rifleshooter.com. Figured might be nice for easy reference:

300 Win Mag

6.5 Creedmoor

7mm Rem Mag

Cheers,

s

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
Your post reminded me of an article in Truth About Guns on this very topic that I read a few years ago. It’s a good eye opening read as well.

AkRyan

WKR
Cutem all! I am a huge fan of short barrel hunting rifles. Every person I have loaned one to has either gone to a Smith to cut there barrel or purchased a rifle through me.

OP
L
Ended up having 3" cut off from 24" original on my new 300wsm. Thunderbeast Arms face mounted (semi-permanent) their CB brake onto which their suppressor will thread on once paperwork clear.

Shot 5 different ammo today andI was happy with the groups for the first time putting it through the paces. Next time bringing the chronometer and will see how the velocity compares with stated on the box.

Liked the 200gr Federal Terminal Ascent the best.

300wsm pic.jpg

AkRyan

WKR
My 300WSM got the barrel chopped to 20” and with the Ultra 7 gets 2,900 fps with the Norma factory 180 bondstrike ammo.
how does the tikka like the bondstrike? i picked up 2 boxes on a wim, i normally shoot federal premium with 180 AB and its lights out accurate. mine is 18" with a 300blk muzzle brake.

I didn't see any mention on if the barrels used in those tests are broken in prior to the tests. If it's a brand new barrel i think that might be a possible source of error. The 6.5 results with 142s sure dont make sense.

Reactions: WCB
The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
how does the tikka like the bondstrike? i picked up 2 boxes on a wim, i normally shoot federal premium with 180 AB and its lights out accurate. mine is 18" with a 300blk muzzle brake.
Mines not a Tikka, it’s a GAP build with #3 contour Bartlein barrel. It has a little over 100 rounds on it so should be just about broken in and sped up.

AkRyan

WKR
i think a .300wsm is a better candidate for a shorter barrel than the .300wm
I have both but no numbers and performance. The WM is 17" and the WSM is 18" both have VG6 Gamma .300blk brakes. My brothers wife chose the WM over her 22" 30-06

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
i think a .300wsm is a better candidate for a shorter barrel than the .300wm
I remember either reading some article or listening to some podcast that said the 300WSM was originally developed using 24" barrels with the goal of roughly matching the 300WM out of a 26" one. If that's true, then it would definitely be a better candidate for the hacksaw, but I can't seem to dig up that source anywhere so I could just be totally wrong.

AkRyan

WKR
I remember either reading some article or listening to some podcast that said the 300WSM was originally developed using 24" barrels with the goal of roughly matching the 300WM out of a 26" one. If that's true, then it would definitely be a better candidate for the hacksaw, but I can't seem to dig up that source anywhere so I could just be totally wrong.
Powder volume and bullet size determine the "proper" barrel length.

madcalfe

WKR
my custom .300wsm i just built is rocking a 20" proof sendero.
will be doing load work up for it in 2 weeks I'm hoping to be around the 2925fps mark with 178gr bullets.

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up having 3" cut off from 24" original on my new 300wsm. Thunderbeast Arms face mounted (semi-permanent) their CB brake onto which their suppressor will thread on once paperwork clear.

Shot 5 different ammo today andI was happy with the groups for the first time putting it through the paces. Next time bringing the chronometer and will see how the velocity compares with stated on the box.

Liked the 200gr Federal Terminal Ascent the best.

View attachment 273593
How did the chronometer results turn out?

OP
L
How did the chronometer results turn out?
Got distracted with life and archery, plus waiting for the suppressor paperwork to finalize, so haven't done it yet. Maybe this winter.

300wsm ammo supplies also has kept me from shooting more, so hopefully will come back sooner than later.

I don’t own a rifle with a barrel longer than 22”. To me the gains from a long barrel are not worth the trade off. I recently started shooting a 25-284 with the 135 Berger and cut my barrel from 27” to 22”. Velocity went from 3206 to 3110 and now the rifle handles much better. I shoot suppressed on everything I own and to me a long barrel with a can doesn’t work.

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t own a rifle with a barrel longer than 22”. To me the gains from a long barrel are not worth the trade off. I recently started shooting a 25-284 with the 135 Berger and cut my barrel from 27” to 22”. Velocity went from 3206 to 3110 and now the rifle handles much better. I shoot suppressed on everything I own and to me a long barrel with a can doesn’t work.
What length can?...and does it "add" any velocity? If so, how much?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don’t chrono with the can on since i just use a magnetospeed. All I usually do is add about 20 fps for the can and then punch the velocity into StrelokPro. It has worked out to 1000 on a few different rifles that I have done that with.