Testing case capacity

mtmuley

WKR
I want to test the case capacity of a couple different makers of brass of the same cartidge. I know a water test is normally used, so how do I go about it? Thanks, mtmuley

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody has done this? Bought some new brass and want to compare capacity with the brass I have been using. Measured it, weighed it but want internal volume numbers. Thanks. mtmuley

Last edited:
You can seat a primer in them, put it on your scale and then zero th scale. Then take an eye dropper or syringe and fill the case all the way up with water and measure the weights vs the other cases you are using. That measures total volume not useable volume. Either way it will tell you how close they are to each other.
What brands of brass?

I have never worried about internal capacity between manufacturers. I have always figured as long as each manufacturer is consistent within it's own lot I will be able to find an accurate load.

I also have never worried about maximum velocity so a brand of brass that squeezes an extra half grain or grain hasnt been a concern of mine.

OP
M

mtmuley

WKR
You can seat a primer in them, put it on your scale and then zero th scale. Then take an eye dropper or syringe and fill the case all the way up with water and measure the weights vs the other cases you are using. That measures total volume not useable volume. Either way it will tell you how close they are to each other.
What brands of brass?

I want to compare Remington with some ADG I just got in .300 RUM. I'm down to my last 100 or so new Remington cases. ADG looks to be of high quality. Just curious of how close internal volume is between the two. mtmuley

jd270win

FNG
Cahunter nailed it. Recommend you use brass fired in your chamber to get the most accurate results.

Dos XX

WKR
I would compare unfired to unfired or fired to fired. Fired to fired would be best. But if you are just going to see if one holds 1/2 grain more, unfired to unfired would likely work.

I leave a primer in a fired case or seat a spent primer and measure as stated above.