Hoyt Ventum 33 Review ***Updated 8/11/21***

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
For 2021 I will be testing and reviewing Hoyt's new-for-'21 Ventum 33. I'll be documenting the setup process, tuning, and performance of this new aluminum riser flagship bow. There are a few new features included on this bow and I will give my honest opinion of how they perform. I'll also give a quick look at how it compares to my current setup (the 2019 RX3 Ultra with the ZT Pro cams).
Feel free to chime in and ask questions as I proceed with the testing.
FYI: My draw length is 27" and the draw weight set at 70 lbs.

***Update 8/11/21*** Hoyt Ventum 33 Review

It's a sharp looking bow that comes in at 5.3 pounds with all the factory dampers and the included 2" Short Stop stabilizer.
P1000480.JPG

I decided to see how the new Wilderness Green pairs with the Optifade Subalpine.
P1000481.JPG

New for 2021 is the HBX cam which is a major departure from Hoyt's Cam & a Half eccentrics of the past. I'm looking forward to compare the draw cycles, noise, and speed of the two different systems.
P1000482.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm picking mine up next week in Verde camo. Shot a bunch of bows from bowtech, matthews, and Hoyt and this one was my favorite. Can't wait to start flinging arrows with it. I'll be following along!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ncavi8tor

WKR
Just ordered one in that exact color combo, green riser/Subalpine limbs!! Now the wait begins. At least 3 months.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

flyboy214

FNG
I just helped my buddy set up his Ventum 30. 68# on the scale with the top cam hitting slightly early. 28in draw. through the chrono 474 gr arrow @ 277 fps and the 520gr arrow at 267 fps.

406unltd

WKR
Just got mine today. Aaaaaand a large section of my sight housing is being blocked by the riser. Three shot through paper were absolute money. I’m at a loss and have never seen one this bad. Any ideas guys? I’m gonna post this up on the archery forum as well but I figured I take a shot here too. Thanks fellas!

anfangja

FNG
Just got mine today. Aaaaaand a large section of my sight housing is being blocked by the riser. Three shot through paper were absolute money. I’m at a loss and have never seen one this bad. Any ideas guys? I’m gonna post this up on the archery forum as well but I figured I take a shot here too. Thanks fellas!

Just ordered my 33 yesterday... this makes me a little nervous. What sight are you using?

406unltd

WKR
Just ordered my 33 yesterday... this makes me a little nervous. What sight are you using?
Fast Eddie xl. The thing about my issue is that I have not Broadhead or bareshafted yet. Once I got home I noticed it was set at 11/16 centershot. I will likely move that to 13/16 and as a result see my sight be in a much better spot. I can have the shop swap my shims as well if I feel like it’s too far out of centershot. I’m not worried it was just annoying cause I had to go back to work and I don’t get to fiddle with, and fix it so I get anxious. It will all be good and so will yours.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve got one I’m tuning right now. I’m interested to see what spine and arrows yours likes.
Post up your specs and results of your set up. I've got a few different arrows I'll be trying and will keep this thread updated as I tune.
-Josh

Post up your specs and results of your set up. I've got a few different arrows I'll be trying and will keep this thread updated as I tune.
-Josh
28”/72#. I’ve shot a ton of arrows playing around. Had the best luck so far with a 27 3/4 carbon to carbon 300 rampage with the focus system and 100 gr tips. Also 25 7/8 340 axis with 50 gr brass inserts and 100 gr tips.

I’m still tinkering though. Looking forward to seeing your review and what you find.

bsnedeker

WKR
Anyone else planning on replacing the factory strings? I just ordered a set from GAS but they won't be here for a month or so. I had some issues with peep rotation last year with a set of Vapor Trails I had just put on so it's at the top of my mind, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.

I'm building my arrows right now: Day6 300's, 29 inches, 150 total upfront, 4 fletch, wrap, standard nock. Should put me right around 525 grains. I'll be shooting at 70 lbs, 30 inch draw.

TheTone

WKR
Love the looks of it and hope to shoot one as soon as local shop gets one in. I can’t believe the weight though, 5.3 lbs bare!

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone else planning on replacing the factory strings? I just ordered a set from GAS but they won't be here for a month or so. I had some issues with peep rotation last year with a set of Vapor Trails I had just put on so it's at the top of my mind, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.

I'm building my arrows right now: Day6 300's, 29 inches, 150 total upfront, 4 fletch, wrap, standard nock. Should put me right around 525 grains. I'll be shooting at 70 lbs, 30 inch draw.
I'll be keeping the factory strings for the initial test to see how they settle and handle the rigors of daily use. If for some reason they don't work out I'll be looking for aftermarket alternatives.

JasonR1

FNG
Im going from an RX-3 to the 5, have heard some great things about the new hoyts.

Anxious to hear everyone's experience.

bsnedeker

WKR
Im going from an RX-3 to the 5, have heard some great things about the new hoyts.

Anxious to hear everyone's experience.
I had my choices down to the Ventum 33, the RX5 Ultra, and the Matthews V3 31. It was a really tough choice between all three, but particularly between the Ventum 33 and the RX5 ultra. They both have the same cams so the draw cycle is almost identical. I like that the RX5 has a bit more brace height so it should be more forgiving than the Ventum but it has the same IBO spec which is cool. The RX5 also feels AMAZING in the hand...the grip is perfect for me and the carbon just feels nice.

The Ventum 33 felt deader in the hand during the shot to me. That combined with the price difference was pretty much what made my decision for me. I just didn't see enough of a difference between the two to justify the extra 500 bucks. It was tough though, that is a sweet bow, I think you are going to love it.