Testing KDC Tripod/Bipods- pushing the limits of ultralight

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys,
I saw this product at the Salt Lake Expo and about fell over. I thought "no way". Well months went by and Terry Kramer, owner of KDC (Kramer Designs Corporation) got in touch with us to see if we'd like to test some of this gear. Of course we would!!! Jared is testing the SnipePod, w/ 3L-V2 Tripod conversion (he'll post on here in the next few weeks) and I'm testing the Granite Peak Tripod/Rapid-Release System

I've only had mine about a week. I did some testing in the backyard to make sure I understood the operation and now I've got a few days on it in the field and feel comfortable talking about the system (although this isn't a complete review or endorsement, I need more days).

Consulting with Terry, these are not for the big heavy optics, but for the very lightweight hunter trying to keep pack weight/bulk to a minimum using spotters in the 50 mm range like my Leupold 20x50 and the Vortex and Nikon 50s.

That's actually perfect for how I archery hunt. Because I'm hunting bucks I've already pre-scouted, I don't need to scrutinize them during the hunt, but I like to have a small spotter in my pack in the event I need to make sure a certain buck is a certain buck or maybe even a new buck shows up I want to see, or trying to peer in some distant shadows.

So far, so good.
Not much bigger than my hand:
attachment.php

Close up of the head (a "cute" little shoe like an adapter plate fits in the dovetail):
attachment.php

in the field, topped with my Leupold 20x50- a perfect match
attachment.php

attachment.php

If you're interested in learning more about the Granite Peak, or the V2 Snipepod w/ tripod conversion, subscribe to this thread (Thread Tools at top of post). You'll get a notification when we post or people ask questions so you don't have to keep checking back. You can also visit KDC website links below

I've invited Terry onto the thread, so if you have any questions for him, post 'em up!

https://kramerdesignscorp.com/Granite_Peak_Tripod.html

Rapid Release System (& bino tower)
https://kramerdesignscorp.com/KDC_Rapid_Release.html

Last edited:
I don't think there's a more versatile hunting rest for rifles then the Snipepod. I've owned one for 10 years and it has been on every one of my big game hunts since. It's not ideal for every situation but it's the best all around compromise I've ever found. I look forward to your reviews.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Looks like a simple, lightweight option. Appreciate the review and look forward to your continued feedback on the design and it's application. Thank you!

dotman

WKR
I have the V2 snipe pod bipod and really like it, I just keep it in my belt pocket and it attaches very quick and does the job. Panning and tilt isn't bad either. Overall for the price I think it is a good setup, I wouldn't use it with a 300rum but with my 270 win and Knight ultralite it works great. My Harris sits on a shelf now.

I didn't get the 3L attachment as I'm skeptical on how stabile that would be but the bipod works great.

Also, Terry is a great guy to deal with, I bought mine used a while ago and lost The small set screw and pin. I emailed that I lost these parts and was wondering how to buy replacements, told him I bought it used and misplaced them somehow, he just asked me my address and sent multiple replacements.

Last edited:
I also have the snipe pod V2. Bought straight from Terry I. His Garage/machine shop at his house. I had my head stop wanting to rotate forward to fold up so after the season one year I sent it in for repair. Short while later got it back and works great. Can't remember if he charged me or not. Either way I was happy to pay. Looking forward to hearing the results.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to say that I have been impressed with the KDC products up to this point.

I have been testing the SnipePod, w/ 3L-V2 Tripod conversion as well as using the Rapid Release System (RSS) family to allow me to use my binos with the tripod conversion as well. I have mounted the SnipePod in the sitting version as well as the prone version and like the weight savings and versatility. The tripod conversion really shaved some weight off my pack as I don't have to carry my heavier tripod any longer. Obvious weight savings on my rifle as well with an ultra-lightweight bipod in both the sitting and prone version. Initial tests in each have been pretty positive thus far but as anything, more testing is needed and when on hunts that will be happening!

Full review will be coming as Robby stated.

https://kramerdesignscorp.com/KDC_Rapid_Release.html

https://kramerdesignscorp.com/V2SnipePod.html

https://kramerdesignscorp.com/V2Tripod.html

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jareds bottom photo shows the bino tower and optics balancer. I have those too but haven't needed them for my small Leupold spotter. I did use the balancer with success on my 15x56 Swaros. It did balance them but I think they're just a tad big for the system. Need some field time to know for sure

snipepod

FNG
Tim.
Each leg of the GP has a 416SS ball socket on top. You get independent leg adjust ability from those ball sockets. There is a fourth ball socket that points upward, and I call it the optic ball. The shaft on the optic ball is your standard 1/4X20tpi camera thread. There is a cork covered "plateau" that works like a jam nut after you screw the 1/4X20 male into your optics. The picture that Robby posted shows the RRS-Shoe installed on the optic ball. This is part of the RRS (Rapid Release System) and is for quick interchange binos/cameras/GoPro/Spotter etc.Moving_Optic_Ball.jpg

Attachments

• Moving_Optic_Ball_1.jpg
    Moving_Optic_Ball_1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Moving_Balls_1.JPG
    Moving_Balls_1.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

snipepod

FNG
My go to mountain rifle is a Christensen 7STW with a 26" barrel based on a Browning Abolt. Weight about 7.25, 8oz with scope. No muzzle brake. Pretty jumpy gun. I shoot the V2-30, one handed. Never grip the forearm. Gun jumps, but it jumps the same, consistently shot to shot. I have a TC Contender in 375JDJ. Nasty recoil. SnipePod has no problem with recoil on TC. Because of extreme light weight, the SnipePod just goes with the gun. Have many customers shooting 400cal plus African rifles. No issues. A 300rum should be just fine. Cheers. TK.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
and here's a video of the GP in action
[video=youtube_share;OnKtH53AcGY]http://youtu.be/OnKtH53AcGY[/video]

Clarktar

WKR
Shrek has been running one of these for a few years I think.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jareds bottom photo shows the bino tower and optics balancer. I have those too but haven't needed them for my small Leupold spotter. I did use the balancer with success on my 15x56 Swaros. It did balance them but I think they're just a tad big for the system. Need some field time to know for sure

Robby, do you think you could tie some weight or pack in the center with some light cordage to try to stabilize the system?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Colineman, yes. If you look at Jareds bottom photo, the system comes with a cord system that secures the legs and can add stability. Only tried it at home so far though.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well I only know about the Granite Peak 33" that's on the website. Is there another?