Testing KDC Tripod/Bipods- pushing the limits of ultralight

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Steve O, you're not derailing it. Warranty issues was the first thing I thought of too, so thanks for diving in.

Terry, the "free-float" idea is fine on this thread- part of the conversation for sure. It really made me think, especially since I shoot a lot of muzzleloaders and the bullet is in a long barrel even longer than centerfire. Thanks

snipepod

FNG
The longer the barrel and slower the FPS exit speed, the more time the bullet spends in that barrel. Hence worse problem. I always thought a good muzzleloader marksman had to have a smooth, rock solid follow through, much like an archer. Lots of time from ignition to exit.

Shrek

WKR
I realize that this is probably a topic for a new thread, but I want to give my 2cents on the "PRELOAD" bipod shooting technique. I am a firm believer in free floated barrels, and I take it one step further and free float my rifle. I don't touch the barrel/forearm during the shot. I just make sure the recoil pad is securely into my shoulder pocket, and hold the pistol grip lightly, just enough to get a smooth squeeze. With this technique, I am confident that the rifle will recoil consistently from shot to shot. This is the classic bench rest shooters technique. First, the V2 SnipePod will not allow "PRELOAD", but if you have a bipod like a Harris that does allow "PRELOAD", then think about this. At the moment the feet of a "PRELOADED" bipoded rifle leave the ground, they will snap back into their "UNLOADED" position. Any vibrations will be transmitted into the firearm, and if the bullet has not exited the muzzle, this is not good. Also, how do you consistently apply the same PRELOAD pressure? One shot it is 1lb, next shot 2lb, each with different unloading vibrations. Also, what if the preloading snags some brush, grass etc and changes the recoil barrel lift angle? Another wild card in the equation. It takes about 1.3 milliseconds for the bullet to rattle down the barrel and exit the muzzle in 24" barrel with a approx 3,000fps round. The calculation assuming a linear acceleration rate inside the barrel. So any thing you do or your "preloaded" bipod does has a detrimental effect to the bullet placement down range. So play it save, don't preload and free float your rifle, take that variable out of the equation. The V2-SnipePod will maintain rock solid X (horixontal) and Y (vertical) Axis stability at the forearm. The weakness is the X and Y Axis at the recoil pad, or in other words, the shooter. The Z (front-rearward) axis does not have as much influence. So practice your technique to lock that X & Y on the back of the gun. You will see great improvement to your groups down range.
The guys I know who kill things at a mile plus all preload the bipod. I preload the bipod but have no illusions that I'm capable of EOL shooting.

snipepod

FNG
Preloading bipod

The guys I know who kill things at a mile plus all preload the bipod. I preload the bipod but have no illusions that I'm capable of EOL shooting.

All things are relative. If these mile long shooters would work on improving they body technique on the back of the bipod, then free float their rifles, they would shoot equivalent groups at 1.25 miles.

Seriously, if you have a technique that works, sometimes it makes sense to stay with it. It is like a basketball play who shoots 85% freethrows. Now 90-93% is about as good anyone gets. Does it make sense to tweak your free throw technique for 5-8%? You could make things worse!

I am an engineer, always thinking about the no compromise approach to shooting, hunting, product development and production. 5-8% improvement is something I would not walk away from. Eliminating variables like preload is just one of those engineering obsessions.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
All things are relative. If these mile long shooters would work on improving they body technique on the back of the bipod, then free float their rifles, they would shoot equivalent groups at 1.25 miles.

Seriously, if you have a technique that works, sometimes it makes sense to stay with it. It is like a basketball play who shoots 85% freethrows. Now 90-93% is about as good anyone gets. Does it make sense to tweak your free throw technique for 5-8%? You could make things worse!

I am an engineer, always thinking about the no compromise approach to shooting, hunting, product development and production. 5-8% improvement is something I would not walk away from. Eliminating variables like preload is just one of those engineering obsessions.
I own and use you snipepod and think it works great for an all purpose mountain bipod but I'm certain that I wouldn't use it for long range shooting. I think it's great for sitting down in high grass or bushes and steadying up for a shot.

e437f77b2ef312ec15703c89c01e5573.jpg
b6e98f2731ede542273de2ab4ec835e6.jpg

Worked great!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been testing the Snipepod w/ 3L-V2 tripod conversion with very good luck!

The lightweight design makes it very easy for me to take with me on my hunts. I don't notice it in my pack or even in my side pocket of my pants because of its compact design and weight. It has become a staple in my day trips out west after antelope and mule deer in the prairie!

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
He Roksliders, I can also tell you the Granite Peak will work in a pinch for shooting off of in high brush. My son killed a nice buck over it at 186 yards and I passed on a pretty nice buck at 260 yards using it. In both cases, there was no way to get steady in the brush without it. Not for long range, but under 400 yards, it can work if you don't carry shooting sticks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Zuludog

FNG
I've been testing the Snipepod w/ 3L-V2 tripod conversion with very good luck!

The lightweight design makes it very easy for me to take with me on my hunts. I don't notice it in my pack or even in my side pocket of my pants because of its compact design and weight. It has become a staple in my day trips out west after antelope and mule deer in the prairie!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just curious as to what size tripod that is and how tall you are. I'd like to be able to look through mine while standing and I have the same spotter.

Zuludog

FNG
How did you use it? Did you just turn your spotter horizontal and lay the rifle on it directly?

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just curious as to what size tripod that is and how tall you are. I'd like to be able to look through mine while standing and I have the same spotter.

The 3L-V2 conversion is meant for using the tripod while sitting. It has proven very effective as such!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
How did you use it? Did you just turn your spotter horizontal and lay the rifle on it directly?

Zulu, sorry I didn't see this question. If you look at the bottom photo in post #48, you'll see exactly what I did.

I also took aim on a buck over the KDC just like in the photo above right at dark at 260 yards that at first I thought was a shooter. After getting settled, I could see he wasn't so I kept the gun on safety and "practiced" by pressuring the trigger and watching the crosshairs. I'm 99% sure I could've killed him.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all,
OK, some final thoughts on the KDC Granite Peak Tripod.

I'd given all the function stuff earlier, so see those posts for that. Now that the season is over for me, I feel I can comment on the durability of the system and a few other notables.

I estimate I hunted about 25 days with the KDC between late August and November. I used it on all my hike-in or backcountry hunts for both archery and rifle.

As mentioned in previous posts, I ended up using it as a bipod on two occassions, which meant I cranked the head down with a lot of force so the spotter wouldn't rock or slip. I did it so tight, it was difficult to break loose. I've done this to more than a few heads over the years and have found that once overtightened, they begin the slow steady slide to disfuntion and tend not to hold the optic as well.

This was not the case with the KDC. The head still works perfectly.

I also figured out what the instructions so clearly stated in the beginning was the best method for assembling the legs- let gravity do the work. As long as I wasn't in close on a buck where I'd be worried about errant noise, the instructions were right. Drop the legs, give the tripod a shake and about 90% of the time, you don't even have to touch them, they assemble themselves. This is a super benefit especially if time is of the essence as it sometimes is when you spot a buck on the move.

The Rapid Release System (basically a rapid release shoe that allows you to mount optic quickly or switch between optics easily) funtioned very well, with the exception of this: it took me some getting used to make sure I had the shoe secure. Several times, my scope fell out and when I checked the RSS, discovered that I hadn't tightened the threaded shaft enough. Had to go more than finger tight on mine. Once I got that through my thick-walled cranium, no more drops occurred.

Very impressed with the KDC Granite Peak/Rapid Release System and have no issues recommending it to you guys if used within the design parameters we wrote about in this thread.

Thanks also to the other members (Steve O, Shrek, etc) that chimed in. Anyone else with experience is welcome to share on here.

Last edited:

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still been using these quite a bit in the last few months with great success!

I have to say that I have been impressed with the KDC products up to this point.

The SnipePod, w/ 3L-V2 Tripod conversion with the Rapid Release System (RSS) has been being used with my binos and spotter. It really allows me to stay lightweight for sure! HUGE plus! The snipepod in both sitting and prone version steadies my rifle well enough for shots out to say 400 yards. For long range shots having something a bit more steady is preferred. The only down fall thus far is using these when the wind is howling. There just seems to be not enough weight to keep really solid. Pictures to come!

Either way I would highly recommend having these in our pack for the option to use!

https://kramerdesignscorp.com/KDC_Rapid_Release.html

https://kramerdesignscorp.com/V2SnipePod.html

https://kramerdesignscorp.com/V2Tripod.html

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really enjoy using the Snipepod with the tripod conversion on both my small spotter and my 12X50 binos. Shaving weight is a big concern with many and this gives you that option for sure! I won't go into the backcountry without them! Easy to switch between the two optics with the addition of the rapid release mount!

Keep in mind, you can also use this set-up as a bipod for your rifle as well by removing the extra leg!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is the snipepod mounted on one of my rifles. Don't even notice it is there! It remains fairly steady in this version and I enjoy using it. It also still has the adaptor to use your sling in conjunction with the mount.

attachment.php

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Love the photos Jared and glad you got to test the system with the 12x50s. Thanks

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a no brainer really! You can pack this set-up right in our side pocket! Can never even tell I have it with me! When it comes to using it I am reminded of how great this option is to have in my possession!

dotman

WKR
I'm pretty sure I sold a few buddies on it this season :). Seriously for the price it is cheap and is an amazing piece of gear. Mine is pretty beat up after a few years of hard use, it looks banged up but works great.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Well it’s been a few years now....how many of you are still using this tripod system for your binos and small spotters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk