Testing kryptek/La Sportiva trango cube GTX

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been testing these boots out for a few months now but wanted to give you guys a progress report but first a back story...

8618fc40f0ebc8ae743c985b6eb515eb.jpg

A special ops team was using these boots and La sportiva only offers them in "clown colors" so the team was spray painting their boots. They then went to La Sportiva to see if they can get them in camo and they wanted Kryptek highlander. Now La Sportiva offers them in Highlander and only sold through Kryptek.
9820e59abb153ff4bb365d788c0d709c.jpg

These boots are very lightweight and stiff in the ankle making them a popular choice for the backcountry hunter. They are gore Tex and very comfortable.

I've put on over 70 miles ranging from 3 feet of snow to mud to dry desert to walking around in town. For break in, I wore them around town for two days before hiking 2,000 feet elevation over 2 miles. I have not received a blisters and put on some hard miles granted not a ton of weight (20-30lbs in pack). The gore Tex goes very high on the boot and I have crossed a few creeks I was sure to get wet and I did not.

Traction seems to be good with the vibram sole and I haven't had any heel slip.

I will be updating this thread with my thoughts as well as specs as they come in but so far, two thumbs up!

Travis what's the stiffness like? Comparable to something else you have used?

I've wanted to try these as they are crazy light, but I've heard(true or not) the eyelets are a weak point as they are molded into the boot. What's your thoughts on the build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
build seems legit, they are up there in stiffness with other boots I've tried (scarpa, la sportive glacier evo's 1 and 2.) I would say similar to glacier evo.
They are molded into the boot but so far so good. I have had problems in the past with la sportiva boots holding a tight lace. I would walk 1/2 a mile and they would come untied, i would retie and be fine rest of the day. These boots have been holding tight and not a pain in the butt to get the boot off like other pairs like the Scarpa.

build seems legit, they are up there in stiffness with other boots I've tried (scarpa, la sportive glacier evo's 1 and 2.) I would say similar to glacier evo.
They are molded into the boot but so far so good. I have had problems in the past with la sportiva boots holding a tight lace. I would walk 1/2 a mile and they would come untied, i would retie and be fine rest of the day. These boots have been holding tight and not a pain in the butt to get the boot off like other pairs like the Scarpa.

a double knot takes care of that..... i double knot my boots always on mtn adventures... they never come un done. i have these as well in highlander. backcountry.com and moosejaw also sells them in highlander not just through kryptek.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I take offense to the clown colors! They are superman (women) colors and they are gangster in the backcountry! :)

For real though I've also been using these boots this year as well and am super impressed with them so far. The heel locking and lacing is better than any other boot that I've tried. For me the fit is about perfect and I went the entire Tiburon hunt (7 days heavy hiking and sweating) and I never got a blister. I don't plan on swapping anytime soon.

Super pumped your reviewing these Travis!

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha, "gangster" I love it.

I am really liking these books and I hope to spread the word on them. They seem popular amongst a small group of hard core hunters for sure.

These boots are close to the perfect boot for my skinny low volume feet. They were very comfortable for me and had great traction. Unfortunately there is very little cushion in the midsole by design and my feet never toughened up enough to make it through long days without the soles of my feet feeling pretty rough.

Basically think of a stiff outsole without much between to give, that rigid input is transferred strait to your feet. My soft office dwelling dogs couldn't hack it.

For those that haven't tried em - think Trango Evo, Scarpa Charmoz/Triolet, Lowa Cevedale, Hanwag Alaska type stiffness. There is some give to the uppers and the soles have some rocker up to the toes so you don't feel like a robot in ski boots walking on the flats.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
f73f07ad7287358dd795cf25c6f38b5e.jpg

Another day of hiking in them in multiple terrains. I'm really impressed with the tread and traction on wet surfaces.

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the Trango Alp Evos in. Had em for $229 on Sierra, so couldn't pass. Opted for these over the cubes for the colors haha. But these seem to be about the same, just have leather on em. Hope they work well!

I'm considering trying a pair of the trango cubes, for those of you that have had them, do they run pretty true in size? I am a 11 tennis shoe and a 44.5 (11us) in most boots, but on the la sportiva site, it mentioned sizing up a half size. My guess is that is from your actual foot size, not a half size up from your shoe size, which has extra length in it for comfort already...

Let me know if you guy have an opinion on the sizing.

RyanG505

FNG
I'm considering trying a pair of the trango cubes, for those of you that have had them, do they run pretty true in size? I am a 11 tennis shoe and a 44.5 (11us) in most boots, but on the la sportiva site, it mentioned sizing up a half size. My guess is that is from your actual foot size, not a half size up from your shoe size, which has extra length in it for comfort already...

Let me know if you guy have an opinion on the sizing.
Brightwhite, I normally wear an 11us in my Salomon GTX 4Ds and had originally purchased the 11s in the la sportivas but they were just a slight bit to tight so I went up to the 11.5 in the cubes. They seemed like maybe a whole size up from my running shoes is what I needed to fit correctly. hope this helps

RyanG505

FNG
I take offense to the clown colors! They are superman (women) colors and they are gangster in the backcountry! :)

For real though I've also been using these boots this year as well and am super impressed with them so far. The heel locking and lacing is better than any other boot that I've tried. For me the fit is about perfect and I went the entire Tiburon hunt (7 days heavy hiking and sweating) and I never got a blister. I don't plan on swapping anytime soon.

Super pumped your reviewing these Travis!

Jordan, I just switched to the "clown" colors version too!!! haha, good to hear the experience you've had with them!

Brightwhite, I normally wear an 11us in my Salomon GTX 4Ds and had originally purchased the 11s in the la sportivas but they were just a slight bit to tight so I went up to the 11.5 in the cubes. They seemed like maybe a whole size up from my running shoes is what I needed to fit correctly. hope this helps

I'd also recommend going up at least a half size from your standard boot size.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have used the La Sportiva Trango Alp and Trk the last two years and have no complaints. I wonder how much difference there is in the Cube as far as construction and weight goes.

I have used the La Sportiva Trango Alp and Trk the last two years and have no complaints. I wonder how much difference there is in the Cube as far as construction and weight goes.

I'd guess Cubes are similar in stiffness to the Trango Alp evo and between the alp evo and TRK in weight.

Well, I should have listened to you guys on the sizing...I ordered the true size 11 (44.5) and they are a little snug and I think I need the 45's...awesome boots though! They feel totally different than the meindel, crispi, Lowas, and salomans that I have had.

If anyone is interested in a pair of the 44.5 cubes in highlander, shoot
me a pm. I am going to offer them up in the classifieds in the next day or so. Figured I'd give someone a shot at these before I exchange them.

Well, I should have listened to you guys on the sizing...I ordered the true size 11 (44.5) and they are a little snug and I think I need the 45's...awesome boots though! They feel totally different than the meindel, crispi, Lowas, and salomans that I have had.

If anyone is interested in a pair of the 44.5 cubes in highlander, shoot
me a pm. I am going to offer them up in the classifieds in the next day or so. Figured I'd give someone a shot at these before I exchange them.

im pretty picky with boots. i think the sizing is correct with these. im a 42.5 and these feel true in size to me. i have also was able to put super feet guide foot beds in them. for whatever reason the carbon and or construction in general gave this boot added cusion.

im pretty picky with boots. i think the sizing is correct with these. im a 42.5 and these feel true in size to me. i have also was able to put super feet guide foot beds in them. for whatever reason the carbon and or construction in general gave this boot added cusion.

I think with only 1 layer of thinner non-cushion socks the 44.5 would be ok, but on steep downhill with a heavy pack, I am not sure. It's hard to test that scenario inside keeping them new though. And, I would hate to be hunting in colder September weather and not have the volume to wear a slightly thicker socks to keep the feet warmer when glassing.

I have a 1/2 size up coming, I am going to try those and see if they feel better and go from there.

I put my superfeet green insoles in and that didn't change much for foot volume. The factory insoles la sportive provided actually feel really good - I was shocked because the other boots I have had have all been junk.

Just figured I'd follow up on this if anyone is following it or looking into these boots...

Definitely go up a 1/2 size, from my post above you'll see I didn't do that and they definitely ran exactly a 1/2 size small on me.

I friggin love these boots. They have the best feel on my heels that I have ever had in boot. I've put about 5 miles on them and have done a boat load of step ups in them and they seem to lock my heels in better than I've ever experienced. Stiff, but they are great even on flat ground. Just an awesome boot. I highly rrecommend giving them a try.