Testing: SITKA 2021 Dew Point rain gear

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka has launched an updated and redesigned Dew Point rain jacket and pant. This is Sitka's lightest and most packable rain gear yet. I've had the good fortune to test the set a little last fall before the arctic weather blew into Montana. I'll continue the testing this spring and I'll have a review out shortly after spring bear season.

P1000485.JPG

In the mean time I'll use this thread to answer questions and share updates on the review. For those wanting a little more information hear is a link to the Dew Point rain gear. SITKA Dew Point

Here are a few specs.....
Jacket:
3-layer GORE-TEX 20-denier nylon ripstop
Cut to accommodate added layers
Pit zips expel heat on uphill slogs
Chest pocket positioned to work with Mountain Optics Harness
Micro-taped seams for weight reduction
Weight: 12.5 oz.
P1000488.JPG

Pant:
3-layer GORE-TEX 20-denier nylon ripstop
7/8-length side zips vent for expelling heat and easy on/off
Adjustable nylon web belt
Weight: 10.5 oz.
P1000490.JPG

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I currently have the Cloudburst system, how would you compare the two in terms of durability and noise?
The overall feel of the fabric is softer than the Cloudburst and less stiff making it quite a bit more quiet. It also seems to be durable thus far but that is what the extended testing is for. 👊

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
how is the sizing ? the jacket looks a tad short in the pics. does is pack down well ?
The sizing a accurate and since it is expedition cut it will layer over other garments just fine. The length is normal but doesn't have a really long drop in the back as it's a light weight piece. It will pack down to the size of a large grapefruit. It is a perfect system for the lower 48 backpack hunter.

406unltd

WKR
The sizing a accurate and since it is expedition cut it will layer over other garments just fine. The length is normal but doesn't have a really long drop in the back as it's a light weight piece. It will pack down to the size of a large grapefruit. It is a perfect system for the lower 48 backpack hunter.
I wear a XL Kevin lite down jacket. Should I order the XL dew point to go over it for rifle season?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you give it any extreme brush busting rock scraping durability test yet?
There have been a few trips into the NW Montana brush but nothing too rocky yet. I beat the snot out of the old version and it held up fine for me over the years. The updated fabric seems as tough or more so.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are the hand pockets mesh lined or...? Also the pitzips looks small but maybe it’s just the picture?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are the hand pockets mesh lined or...? Also the pitzips looks small but maybe it’s just the picture?
Good questions. The pockets are not mesh lined but are fully seam-taped fabric. And that picture does make the pit zip look small, although they are not huge....about 12 inches.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
If you have tried a Timberline Jacket, how would you compare the durability? I could definitely see replacing my Timberline with this jacket if it will hold up as a general purpose outer layer like I use my TL for.

peterk123

WKR
Are you guys using goretex shells for rain, or do you use it for everyday hunting as well? Like days when there is wind or a chill in the air.

I use hardshells for skiing. I use it during warm days and cold. Windy and or wet. I just layer differently underneath.

I would think hardshells could be used fairly effectively in the mountains for all sort of conditions, but get the feeling that most people have these stuffed in their packs just in case they get caught in the rain.

Thanks Pete

Are you guys using goretex shells for rain, or do you use it for everyday hunting as well? Like days when there is wind or a chill in the air.

I use hardshells for skiing. I use it during warm days and cold. Windy and or wet. I just layer differently underneath.

I would think hardshells could be used fairly effectively in the mountains for all sort of conditions, but get the feeling that most people have these stuffed in their packs just in case they get caught in the rain.

Thanks Pete

I used to use one skiing, until I tore it by brushing a dead pine branch. Now I only use shift shells for skiing.

For hunting, I usually only use my rain shell over my down puffy when I'm sitting and glassing.