Testing: SITKA 2021 Dew Point rain gear

Colt72

FNG
I’m wanting to buy some new rain gear for western Washington hunting I also hunt eastern Washington but this year everything I’m going after is western I’d like to stay with Sitka as I have some other pieces and love them does anyone have any suggestions on what set of rain gear I should get for western Washington day hunts

Any update on the new dew point? Would like to see the rokslide review before purchasing a set. Particularly concerned about durability. I'm an ounce counter, however, I still look for reasonably durable gear. Thanks!

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any update on the new dew point? Would like to see the rokslide review before purchasing a set. Particularly concerned about durability. I'm an ounce counter, however, I still look for reasonably durable gear. Thanks!
I'm working on the review right now. You won't have to worry about durability with these pieces unless you are inordinately rough on gear. Normal or hard use will be fine.

I'm working on the review right now. You won't have to worry about durability with these pieces unless you are inordinately rough on gear. Normal or hard use will be fine.
Awesome. Thanks for the update! That's what I was hoping/expecting to hear. I've heard good things regarding the old version as far as durability goes as well.

AlfNorway

FNG
@Josh Boyd I would be very interested in reading your full review, but I can't seem to find it anywhere? Any chance you could post me a link?

Most of all I am concerned about the durability. I saw you post saying "it also seems to be durable thus far but that is what the extended testing is for."

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Josh Boyd I would be very interested in reading your full review, but I can't seem to find it anywhere? Any chance you could post me a link?

Most of all I am concerned about the durability. I saw you post saying "it also seems to be durable thus far but that is what the extended testing is for."
This was a review that slipped through the cracks last year and did not get finished before hunting season. That's why you can't find the full review. But in a nutshell, the Dew Point is a solid lightweight option. It goes in my pack on every hunt unless the forecast is torrential rain lasting for days. It is very durable but not bomb-proof like the heavier pieces of GoreTex. If you are busting brush daily then you need to look elsewhere. But if you want something light to stuff in you pack for unknown weather and is very waterproof, the Dew Point might be for you. I hope this helps.
-Josh

Bumping this back up as I'm looking to order a set and unsure on which size I should go with.. 5'9" 200#. I wear a large in the vast majority of stuff (sitka fanatic, sitka base layers, all kuiu or first lite stuff, 35" sitka pants). The only thing I wear an XL in is a sitka Jetstream because the large was too tight across my shoulders, but its also listed as a "Performance Fit", whereas the Dewpoint is a "Standard Fit". Their pant sizing chart says the 35" falls into the Large sizing, so I'm guessing I'll probably be fine with a large jacket as well?

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping this back up as I'm looking to order a set and unsure on which size I should go with.. 5'9" 200#. I wear a large in the vast majority of stuff (sitka fanatic, sitka base layers, all kuiu or first lite stuff, 35" sitka pants). The only thing I wear an XL in is a sitka Jetstream because the large was too tight across my shoulders, but its also listed as a "Performance Fit", whereas the Dewpoint is a "Standard Fit". Their pant sizing chart says the 35" falls into the Large sizing, so I'm guessing I'll probably be fine with a large jacket as well?
If you ever plan on running a puffy under it, i'd size up. I usually wear medium in outerwear but got this in a large and think the medium would be too tight over a puffy but probably perfect over a tshirt. Rather rain gear be a little bit big than too small though. I'm about your height and 30lbs lighter for reference.

Last edited:
If you ever plan on running a puffy under it, i'd size up. I usually wear medium in outerwear but got this in a large and think the medium would be too tight over a puffy but probably perfect over a tshirt. Rather rain gear be a little bit than too small though. I'm about your height and 30lbs lighter for reference.

Size up the pants too, or just the jacket?

And my XL jetstream jacket would be the perfect size for a rain jacket - I just don't know the actual sizing difference between their "standard" and "performance" fits - is an XL in one a Large in the other? Or are they not that much different?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've owned my Dew Point set now for three years. It's been in my pack a lot, but other than a few errant storms here and there- it's been untested.

Until now :D. I finished up a three day adventure race where there was a high likelihood of a lot of precipitation. With that forecast, I left my normally chosen ultralight rain gear home and decided to pack the Dewpoint set. Saturday we had fine weather and much of Sunday as well. Sunday afternoon it set in with light rain and snow. Hiked until dark, so roughly 8 eight hours of precip. Pretty light precip that I think my ul rain gear would have handled decently. The Dewpoint stuff did great.

It rained all the night and was hoping it would peter out by morning, but no such luck. Packed up in the rain with a long ways to go and a lot of tough miles. While it let up a few times, I had precipitation all day- sometimes heavy. 15 hours (and 26 tough miles) of precipitation. Add to that climbing through blowdown, fording swift streams, navigating off trail to avoid fording especially swift streams and just generally tough conditions- I can now say with confidence that the Dewpoint set passes muster! :)

OjCe0x5.jpg

icZc57y.jpg

Size up the pants too, or just the jacket?

And my XL jetstream jacket would be the perfect size for a rain jacket - I just don't know the actual sizing difference between their "standard" and "performance" fits - is an XL in one a Large in the other? Or are they not that much different?

Wanted to follow up on this for anyone else that is wondering on the sizing. I spoke with Sitka on Monday morning and the rep suggested a Large for both the pants and the jacket, so I went ahead and placed the order. It showed up this morning and I got a chance to try it on..

I was most concerned about the jacket sizing, but the Large jacket fits perfectly over my regular clothes. I will try it on again later on over a puffy and make sure it doesn't compress it too much, but I think it will be just right.

The pants are another story.. Their size chart says 34-37 is a large, and as stated earlier, I wear a size 35 in sitka pants, so I figured a large would be plenty big. They also have an elastic band on the back of them, so there should be plenty of give. I tried them on over my regular pants and the waist is stretched out to the limit and they are plenty tight. If I had on my timberlines with a baselayer or a belt (or both), I think they'd be too tight, and if I had puffy pants on, they'd definitely be too tight in the waist, so they will be getting exchanged for XLs.

j33

WKR
Bumping back this thread, So everyone’s thoughts on the Dewpoint still good? Reviews seem decent the last few years.

peterk123

WKR
Bumping back this thread, So everyone’s thoughts on the Dewpoint still good? Reviews seem decent the last few years.
Yes. But like anything breathable, if it's a soaking rain, your getting wet. But it takes a while.

Reactions: j33

macher52

FNG
This was a review that slipped through the cracks last year and did not get finished before hunting season. That's why you can't find the full review. But in a nutshell, the Dew Point is a solid lightweight option. It goes in my pack on every hunt unless the forecast is torrential rain lasting for days. It is very durable but not bomb-proof like the heavier pieces of GoreTex. If you are busting brush daily then you need to look elsewhere. But if you want something light to stuff in you pack for unknown weather and is very waterproof, the Dew Point might be for you. I hope this helps.
-Josh
Hi Josh thanks. I don’t have the dew point yet but interested. My regular job I work as a ground worker for the state I live in. I was wondering if the dew point would be a good piece of kit for a grounds worker? I would want to wear this not as as protection from the rain but as a wind breaker when it get below 32 with a good layering system. Thanks!

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Josh thanks. I don’t have the dew point yet but interested. My regular job I work as a ground worker for the state I live in. I was wondering if the dew point would be a good piece of kit for a grounds worker? I would want to wear this not as as protection from the rain but as a wind breaker when it get below 32 with a good layering system. Thanks!
It would definitely block the wind and works well with a base layer appropriate for the conditions.