Testing the 2018 Stone Glacier EVO Frame & 40/56 bag

sr80

WKR
Looks like Ryan just posted an interview with Kurt from SG on the rokslide YouTube channel discussing the new Evo frame and bags.

Stone Glacier EVO Frame - YouTube[/QUOTE

did i hear a couple slip ups from Kurt in this video? :p Frame and bag look and sound great. The original straight krux frame fit me better of the two, but i had issues with the belt hurting and rubbing me due to that 2 inch webbing that ran on the outside of the belt. Im glad they addressed that with the evo.

I purchased a Krux Evo frame only and received it a week or so ago. I haven't tried the x curve so I can't really compare it to that. I wish I could try it too. My previous pack was a heavy old Cabelas Alaskan external frame pack. The evo fits good, but the uprightness of it feels a little awkward. I have a 65 lb sandbag that I bought from mountain tactical institute. There wasn't any strap to tie to frame so I used a ratchet strap. How do you all strap a load to your SG frame without the bag on?

DA

deadwolf

WKR
Testing the 2018 Stone Glacier EVO Frame & 40/56 bag

I have had a Krux frame and now an Xcurve. Everyone’s experience is different, along with body type, and end use is important in factoring in if a frame is going to work for you or not. Also, the knowledge or absence of knowledge of other packs and their comfort is going to play in as well. So I can weigh in with my experience with this two frames as well as Kifaru.

The Krux just “flat” out didn’t work for me. Because, well there’s no curve to it whatsoever. I have broad shoulders, and play a little hockey, along with working out four to five times a week. I would say I have quite a bit of curve when looking at a profile perspective of myself. So a flat pack frame just doesn’t work with my body type. The Xcurve frame fixed most of the fit problems I had with the Krux frame, the curved stays and bigger lumbar pad worked much better for me. I like that frame a lot, but it still doesn’t fit me as well as my Kifaru Tactical. The waist belt, huge lumbar pad, and thick straps just provide me with a fit like it is made specifically for those of us with a lot of curve. I sold the Krux pretty quickly after I got it, and for now I’m gonna hang on to the xcurve. But it could likely be for sale too as my Kifaru is just my go to. I do really like the SG bags though, well thought out bags for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I purchased a Krux Evo frame only and received it a week or so ago. I haven't tried the x curve so I can't really compare it to that. I wish I could try it too. My previous pack was a heavy old Cabelas Alaskan external frame pack. The evo fits good, but the uprightness of it feels a little awkward. I have a 65 lb sandbag that I bought from mountain tactical institute. There wasn't any strap to tie to frame so I used a ratchet strap. How do you all strap a load to your SG frame without the bag on?

DA

I use a Minimalist Buckle kit the load shelf. It allows the use of the frame without a bag. Give SG a call and they'll make sure you order exactly what you need.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There wasn't any strap to tie to frame so I used a ratchet strap. How do you all strap a load to your SG frame without the bag on?

DA

As noted need to swap out the male ladderloc buckles on one side for female ladderlocs and the straps can buckle together (I X them with a concrete sack since the top strap wants to slip off the top if just going horizontal).

I'm actually a bit surprised the bags/frames aren't setup up that way (ladderloc female off one side of the frame connecting to loop male on the bag vs both sides being male ladderlock off the frame and loop female on the bag) to allow a bag to rapidly be removed to use the frame alone w/o change the type of buckle on the strap. Any of the folks with more experience on their bags have a scenario why? Not sure if it makes sense for certain combinations I'm overlooking.

As noted need to swap out the male ladderloc buckles on one side for female ladderlocs and the straps can buckle together (I X them with a concrete sack since the top strap wants to slip off the top if just going horizontal).

I'm actually a bit surprised the bags/frames aren't setup up that way (ladderloc female off one side of the frame connecting to loop male on the bag vs both sides being male ladderlock off the frame and loop female on the bag) to allow a bag to rapidly be removed to use the frame alone w/o change the type of buckle on the strap. Any of the folks with more experience on their bags have a scenario why? Not sure if it makes sense for certain combinations I'm overlooking.
My only guess is because they didn't think of it in the first place, and since all of the bags work on all of the frames, they had to keep doing it. You can break the female buckles off of one side of your bag and replace them with a set of the male quick release buckles and use that as a permanent solution to not having to switch the buckles out on the frame when you want to use it without the bag. I talked to Pete at SG about this situation, and he said he would send me the buckle kit and if you buy it new they will set you up like this before they ship it to you. He assured me that the quick release buckles are structurally as strong as the ones sewn onto the bag. I asked him specifically about the Sky 5900 FYI.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am making my own bag from scratch and planned to do so, mainly was just wondering if I was missing something.

My guess is it’s easier for assembly to have the bag buckles symmetrical. With the frame straps not being sewn around their buckles it’s simpler to just give you a bag of buckles. Since the lowest straps don’t use buckles (when using a bag) you have to add some for the minimal mode anyway.

What are you all using for a gun sling on the krux evo. The SG sling isn't compatible with the Krux evo and it's sold out for now anyway.
Thanks
DA

What are you all using for a gun sling on the krux evo. The SG sling isn't compatible with the Krux evo and it's sold out for now anyway.
Thanks
DA

Why wouldn’t the SG sling be compatible with the Krux Evo? The bottom piece attaches to one of the compression straps. The top goes to a sewn in tri slide which they possibly might have removed to save weight but that’s the only way it wouldn’t be compatible. Even if they did remove the tri slide you could still attach it to the top compression strap. I did that on my EXO frame. I like the SG rifle sling the best out of all the pack company options and have run it on EXO, Kuiu and SG.

Why wouldn’t the SG sling be compatible with the Krux Evo? The bottom piece attaches to one of the compression straps. The top goes to a sewn in tri slide which they possibly might have removed to save weight but that’s the only way it wouldn’t be compatible. Even if they did remove the tri slide you could still attach it to the top compression strap. I did that on my EXO frame. I like the SG rifle sling the best out of all the pack company options and have run it on EXO, Kuiu and SG.

Just going by the description on their website.

DA

Just going by the description on their website.

DA

They must have plans for a new version because that was the reason the bag doesn’t have a side pouch. You can still put the top piece on the top compression with a tri glide. It will let the rifle move around a little more but that didn’t really bother me with my EXO.

JD619er

WKR
AK - nice goat and nice pics. That load actually shows what I am referring to. When strapped tightly, the tops of the frame stays turn inward, around the load. This pitches the load lifters out and the shoulder straps spread further.

Perhaps, something in my physical build makes this more obvious to me. Again, the load you have on isn't an extreme example, like with a sand bag, but the shape of the torso pads on your pack loaded that way would register in the comfort department for me personally. It's bearable and can be adjusted for comfort when I end up with a load like that but it's noticeable. That said, I'd be grinning to carry that goat off the mountain:)

I'm kinda wondering why no one ever talks about the kifaru hunting frame barreling? I have a hunting frame with aluminum stays and I can make that thing barrel with my hands and even more when I load my pack up. It doesn't really bother me in any way but there seems to be a lot of worry about barreling with the krux evo

bmart2622

WKR
You're right, they all barrel, Duplex, Evo, and XCurve. The frame straightens out once you pull the top compression straps tight and I have never noticed it effecting the comfort of any of them but they definitely all do it.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Josh, is there room in that pocket for a puffy and the spotter?

There is with my 65mm spotter and a light puffy like the Kelvin lightweight. If your scope is an 80mm and your puffy is bulky it might be a tight fit.