Testing the NIMROD Carbon Fiber pack *Update* Review Complete

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had a chance to take out the new Nimrod Carbon pack system using the pack frame and their pinnacle day pack. This was the longest day of the shed season, so it was good first day to see how this pack would fit on an extended day in North Idaho while shed hunting.

First thoughts. The pack is light, comfortable with loads up to 40 pounds, has many buckles, provides many accessories for day hunter types, with many types of pockets and attachments, not as simple to lash antlers as some, though this is not the primary design. I simply through my gear in and went out with no adjustments after they set it up prior to shipment with no issues this morning to my old body.

Edit to add article link: Nimrod Outdoor Carbon Canyon Pack Review

Attachments

• GOPR0707.jpg
    GOPR0707.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 129
  • GOPR0729.jpg
    GOPR0729.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 113
  • P1012511.jpg
    P1012511.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unsure of the answer to that question WV so I will let the owner chime in on a response.

OK.

FWIW, the Wilderness pack system is a stow-able aluminium frame and 3500 CI game bag. It rolls up and stores in the fanny pack until you kill something. Then you assemble the bag and stay's and hook it up to the harness system for the first load out. It is a great system for people like me that primarily carry deboned whitetail deer. I've hauled deboned elk in it too. It actually does very well for what it is and, meant for the guy who likes to hunt out of a fanny pack but, have meat hauling capabilities. Being it is a Nimrod, it's bullet proof in construction as well.

God Bless

HunterN8

FNG
Good day folks! This carbon frame pack that Ross is reviewing is a new product for the Nimrod Outdoor line. We have redesigned the belt over the past couple of years and we wanted to add a good lightweight back country type pack to our product line. This is a full sized external carbon fiber frame. We have been introducing it to the public at all of the 2017 sportsman shows. Our pro staff has been using it in the field for the past 2 hunting seasons and we have had good results. This product usually is accompanied by a 4500 cu in pack and it is called the Carbon Canyon Pack. Ross requested just the frame with minimal additional storage for his necessities. If you have further questions or desire additional photos with the pack attached, please email me directly and I will attempt to provide info; [email protected].

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for doing this Ross I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I looked at this pack when Nate was in Spokane. I really like their Bugle pack and wonder what people will think of this frame. Do you plan on getting the 4500 bag for your hunts this fall? Have you tried it with anymore than 40 pounds?

E. Wa Hunter

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far just one good extended day out in the mountains. Have not loaded more than 40 pds yet but will do so far the review. Regarding the bag. Unsure if will obtain as was looking to do the review while hammering the mountains during the end of shed season.

HunterN8

FNG
Ross...in your initial post, you mentioned that it was a bit difficult to strap those sheds onto the frame. Just a quick suggestion...the mesh pocket attached to the bottom of the frame is designed to be a load shelf. You might try throwing the base of your antlers into that mesh pocket and then use the straps to secure the tops. Hope that makes sense.

Randle

WKR
Hey Nate good to see you here. Thanks for the input. The pinnacle bag and new belt I bought at the bighorn show are great. The belt with the new lumbar pad really fits comfortably and the pinnacle holds all my day gear. I just need to sell a few more things to get the frame.

Randy

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe it will work better for you than it did me. I had to send mine back as I just could not get it to work for me even after Nate made some modified straps and personal fitting. I wanted to like don't get me wrong. This was to be my first real light weight pack. That said I ended up with an EXO and the difference is night and day.

It was great idea but I think it needed more testing before making the mold for the carbon Frame. YMMV

Brett

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
my wife and I both have the Pinnacle setup with hydration bags. I carry my compound (yes, I do have one!), and we both love the packs! That being said however, I think this year I'll be getting a Kuiu Ultra 1800 for the lightness of the setup, the ability to easily strap an elk quarter to the frame, and the ability to add the 6000 bag later. As far as local day hunts though, it's my Nimrod, hands down: easy to use, holds everything I need, including a sidearm, fits great, rides perfectly. It's a great system, and i live about 20 minutes from their place in Cashmere, so if I ever had an issue, help is just a short drive away.

LBFowler

WKR
I think it would be far more useful if we could get some more comprehensive photos and specifications on this thread. Can we get some detailed suspension shots and pictures of the bare frame?

I always thought the tenzing carbon fiber frame was an interesting idea but didn't care for their bags or suspension, I'd love to see if nimrod did it better.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
A full write up will follow along with photos of the pack and items noted simply showing time afield to add interest and conversation and that in fact it is being used as designed and for extended days👍

HunterN8

FNG
Thanks Ross, I look forward to your write up, especially because of your experience and expertise with packs. This pack is a new adventure for Nimrod Outdoor and we can only get better with feedback!

I'd like to address the posts from Brett (esteemgrinders) about his negative experience with the Carbon Canyon pack. Indeed, Brett had a negative experience with the pack. During the 2015 hunting season, our pro staff logged extensive miles and numerous 90+ pound loads without any symptoms that Brett experienced. Therefore, we were confident going to the public market with the pack. Brett's experience instigated some concern and uneasiness, so we started work immediately to make improvements.

Brett has mentioned in his posts that he feels the carbon frame is the reason for the challenge. It is my opinion that the frame was not the problem that resulted in Brett's challenges. The problem was in the details of how the frame connected to the shoulder harness and belt. Due to Brett's challenges, we knew we needed to improve. Therefore, we redesigned our shoulder harness and the way the carbon frame attaches. The results were a more secure and solid attachment to the shoulder harness.

The pack has changed and been improved since Brett's experience. Brett, thank you for your feedback and helping us get better. I'm happy you found what you were looking for with EXO.

I have reached out to some of our pro staff and other customers who have logged a bunch of miles and loads with this pack in an effort to get some info and feedback from extensive 'experience' in the field.

markr

FNG
I have always had top performance with Nimrod Packs and the carbon fiber frame has been no different. In fact I have packed out my last two bulls with the Nimrod carbon fiber frame. The performance and ease of loading is unbeatable!
IMG_1588 (Medium).jpgIMG_1725 (Medium).jpg

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had another good long day with the pack using the load shelf on this nice 6 pt shed. Pretty simplistic and expect as above it can carry a good load comfortably. Tomorrow will give me a heavier load going back in to place trail cameras.

Attachments

• P1012522.jpg
    P1012522.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 42
  • P1012526.jpg
    P1012526.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry I had missed your response to my post. Thanks for coming on here to follow up. I am very happy to hear you were able to redesign the shoulder straps and make use of the carbon frame and its mold. I know you had put a lot of money and energy to get them made. I look forward to seeing the newly designed straps and how they function. I will try and catch up with you next spring at the sportsmen show and give it another run.

Thanks
Brett
Thanks Ross, I look forward to your write up, especially because of your experience and expertise with packs. This pack is a new adventure for Nimrod Outdoor and we can only get better with feedback!

I'd like to address the posts from Brett (esteemgrinders) about his negative experience with the Carbon Canyon pack. Indeed, Brett had a negative experience with the pack. During the 2015 hunting season, our pro staff logged extensive miles and numerous 90+ pound loads without any symptoms that Brett experienced. Therefore, we were confident going to the public market with the pack. Brett's experience instigated some concern and uneasiness, so we started work immediately to make improvements.

Brett has mentioned in his posts that he feels the carbon frame is the reason for the challenge. It is my opinion that the frame was not the problem that resulted in Brett's challenges. The problem was in the details of how the frame connected to the shoulder harness and belt. Due to Brett's challenges, we knew we needed to improve. Therefore, we redesigned our shoulder harness and the way the carbon frame attaches. The results were a more secure and solid attachment to the shoulder harness.

The pack has changed and been improved since Brett's experience. Brett, thank you for your feedback and helping us get better. I'm happy you found what you were looking for with EXO.

I have reached out to some of our pro staff and other customers who have logged a bunch of miles and loads with this pack in an effort to get some info and feedback from extensive 'experience' in the field.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had a chance to cover some ground with approximately 45 pds of cameras and miscellaneous gear a week or so back to check out how the pack would handle some weight using the load lifters and mesh pocket as a load shelf. Wore the pack full for 3 hours and then dropped weight as I set up cameras and drank water. With a full day being 7 hours. The pack carried the weight comfortably and was easy to balance the load as I adjusted through the day. The lumbar pad is of proper size and rides comfortably in my lower back as to not create any issues. This country is brush and I have noticed the frame getting hung up a few times in the dense brush. Maybe it is me trying to be an elk, but have gotten wacked a few more times than normal it seems:)

Attachments

• P1012535.jpg
    P1012535.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 42
  • P1012537.jpg
    P1012537.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 41
  • P1012540.jpg
    P1012540.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited: