Teton rain pants enough for WY,ID and CO hunts

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
I know it’s subjective and broad but what are your opinions about these pants. Moved from Valdez AK to Sheridan Wyoming so gear adjustments needed.
Used yukon pants and stormtight jacket and those were absolutely skookum for sheep and moose. Outlet has these on sale and thinking about getting them. Your thoughts. robAK

ericF

WKR
Are you going archery or rifle. In 15 years of rifle hunting Colorado for elk, I have never once had a need for rain jackets or pants. The majority of the time in the high country it is snowing, or raining for such a small amount of time that it doesn't matter. Archery might be a different story, but I think you would be fine with the Tetons.

Last edited:
OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Guess I should have clarified. Basically high country muleys SW CO early, archery and etc around Sheridan and G/H muleys, high desert and sawtooths for ID. Basically how well do these perform/ durability for multiple years of use in these areas.

CCH

WKR
I think there is a reason they are discontinued. If you look at the breathability to waterproofness, they aren't great. But as ericF said, you may go many trips without needing them. On the flip side, when you do, you do.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can only speak for Colorado. They did their job in heavy rain and hail but they are fragile. It’s a nice piece for when you don’t expect rain but it wouldn’t be my primary set. Currently I only have the ultra nx which breathes better than the Teton and I’m looking for something more robust to add to my collection. I might try the Skre nebo since they have an awesome return policy.

For the outlet price you won’t find anything of better quality and performance except durability. Something more abrasion resistant at that price would likely not be built as well or keep you dry as long.

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks 4life. My brother used the NX set in Alaska thisseason with no problems. Might just get them anyways as a “just in case”.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks 4life. My brother used the NX set in Alaska thisseason with no problems. Might just get them anyways as a “just in case”.

Any brush busting with them?

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, but not too severe. A lot of rock to rock in nasty rain/sleet/snow and still held up, but no 1+ hr of climbing in devils club. I think the ultra nx would work for most of the typical hunts in lower 48, my .02, could be wrong

I have the Yukon and Teton jackets. The Teton is what I use in Colorado. It is small and light and with me for emergencies. Idaho May test its limits though. I would double down on that with the pants.

I've used my Tetons in Wyoming and here east, 2 yrs. and no issues. Super light, full length leg zippers are great, and you'll stay dry. They're not the best for breathability, but I would buy another pair if I needed.