Teton Range Bighorns & Skier Interaction

I found this recent video by TGR that profiled the interaction of backcountry skiing and the effect on the Teton Range Bighorn Sheep.
In this area there are less than 100 animals left, due to reduction in habitat and winter ranges. As a winter backcountry user, I though this was a good video to educate those recreating in this range on the potential effects they could have on the remaining population.

chisana

FNG
How much awareness of the impacts heli-skiing can have on wildlife exists in the Alaska heli-skiing industry? I'm think Haines goats, Chugach and Western Alaska Range sheep here. The recent helicopter crash was in prime sheep habitat in 14A.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
How much awareness of the impacts heli-skiing can have on wildlife exists in the Alaska heli-skiing industry? I'm think Haines goats, Chugach and Western Alaska Range sheep here. The recent helicopter crash was in prime sheep habitat in 14A.

I would say that a Heli op could potentially have an effect on Mt Goats, though I’m not sure it’s been documented. In Turnagain pass, I will often be splitboarding around several goats that hang out in the area that don’t seem too bothered, as they have lots of escape terrain nearby. I think the real issue in the Tetons though is a lack of area for them to move into due to reduced habitat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chisana

FNG
I'd say a Golden Eagle get a few more than a crashed chopper.
I wasn't talking about the crash killing animals, rather I am referring to noise disturbance. There are areas where mining exploration has taken place using helicopters and it drove the sheep completely out of the country (permanently in one case I am aware of). Most heli skiing happens in spring when sheep don't need any extra stress.

Snyd

WKR
I wasn't talking about the crash killing animals, rather I am referring to noise disturbance. There are areas where mining exploration has taken place using helicopters and it drove the sheep completely out of the country (permanently in one case I am aware of). Most heli skiing happens in spring when sheep don't need any extra stress.
hmmm, Strange. Blackhawks, Chinooks, F16s, A10's, F35's, etc. all over DCUA and the AK Range. Still a few sheep around. A few years back we had a Ram show up at Fort Knox Gold mine here north of Fairbanks. When he got to be 7 F&G relocated him. He'd been know to head butt challenge dozers, huge trucks, etc. Funny how these critters can be bothered by stuff or not.

minengr

FNG
"Fort Knox Gold mine"

I know a few people that have worked there. Was a Kinross employee myself awhile back.