Tex Creek Zone Idaho

rtrevor

FNG
Hello all. I have a B tag for the Tex Creek zone in Idaho this October. I have never hunted this zone before, and I have a question about the motor vehicle restriction rule in place for this Zone. As I understand the rule, no motor vehicles, including atv's and motorcycles can be used for hunting on any road not designated for use by full sized vehicles. Based on my review of the road and trail maps, this would seem to create quite a few areas where a hunter could get away from some of the road hunting. However, reading older posts on the forum, it sounds like these rules are regularly ignored and that there are atv's and motorcycles everywhere, even where not allowed. I am wondering if anyone who has hunted this zone could help me understand the reality of the situation "on the ground" during rifle season. I know there is a lot of pressure. I am just wondering how hard it is to get away from that pressure, particularly the road hunters. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Everyone nowadays is going to be on electric bikes in those areas, so getting away from people in those areas only happens when you decide to do something absurd. like this ---> Bring a pistol and find the nastiest area possible, so thick you wish you had a machete. October bulls like those spots after being pressured.

OP
R

rtrevor

FNG
Everyone nowadays is going to be on electric bikes in those areas, so getting away from people in those areas only happens when you decide to do something absurd. like this ---> Bring a pistol and find the nastiest area possible, so thick you wish you had a machete. October bulls like those spots after being pressured.
Thanks. I completely forgot about the e-bike fad. That certainly complicates things.

Expect lots of pressure anywhere you go. I hunted that a bunch as a teenager like 10 years ago. They was lots of pressure then. We always sat and waited for the elk to cone to us after the pressure pushed the elk. Find a draw that the elk will use as an escape route and that mite work for you.

You bet. If you’re looking to get away from people chasing elk, try archery next year

OP
R

rtrevor

FNG
about the electric bikes... I looked up the definition used for "motorized vehicle" and it includes a vehicle powered by electricity.

"A motorized vehicle is any water, land or air vehicle propelled by means of steam, petroleum products, electricity or any other mechanical power. "

So, it would seem that even the e-bikes would have to stay off the restricted roads and trails. right?

I know this does not reduce the pressure in the unit, just trying to use the info to pinpoint some possible spots to target.

Thanks again.

87TT

WKR
I think That "Ebikes" are not considered as motor vehicles by the Feds.

87TT

WKR
Besides with guys shooting rifles out to 800-1000 yards, you can't get away from them.

OP
R

rtrevor

FNG
Are you hunting on foot? Tex creek is a large area, do you know where you're staging from?
@Deplorable77 I will be hunting on foot, no atv or horses, probably from a base camp, but willing to hike in to get away from roads. I do not have a staging spot selected yet. So, pretty much the whole zone is open for consideration. Again, I know there is no way to get completely away from the pressure. I am just hoping to find some spot that is maybe overlooked or inaccessible to most of the road hunters. I hunted the Salmon zone last year, and I am well aware of the frustration brought on by the nonstop atv and side-by-side caravans.

OP
R

rtrevor

FNG
Besides with guys shooting rifles out to 800-1000 yards, you can't get away from them.
@87TT I experienced that last year in the Salmon zone. Guys blasting away at elk they had no chance of hitting.

True of false: in Idaho a 500 watt or less e-bikes is legal to ride in a non motorised zone.

The reason I'm asking is, I was told a they are "legal" buy a person who elk hunts tex creek. He told me It was in the rule book.....

So he bought a e-bike.