Tex Creek Zone Idaho

IdahoHntr

WKR
True of false: in Idaho a 500 watt or less e-bikes is legal to ride in a non motorised zone.

The reason I'm asking is, I was told a they are "legal" buy a person who elk hunts tex creek. He told me It was in the rule book.....

So he bought a e-bike.

It's a complicated issue because there are multiple agencies involved in the road travel restrictions. There is the federal agencies that actually control which roads are open and closed to which vehicles, and then the Idaho Fish and Game has gotten involved by making it illegal to hunt off certain roads from a motorized vehicle while hunting for big game. It's a good law in practice really, just too many people either don't take the time to figure out what is legal, or don't care. I've experienced good hunting in some areas because of the motorized hunting law, so I do think it works.

I will say BOTH federal agencies and the Idaho Fish and Game do consider E-bikes motor vehicles. You cannot legally take an E-bike on a non-motorized trail, at least on national forest service ground that is the law. I believe that there is a push to try to get that changed on national forest service trails, but it hasn't changed as of yet.

As far as the hunting laws go, the Idaho Fish and Game is very clear in that link that @rtrevor provided that a motor vehicle is anything with a motor, electric included. That don't matter if it's 10 watts or 5000. It's still considered a motor vehicle. You can't hunt off an e-bike anywhere that you can't hunt off a motorcycle in Idaho. If you're in a unit that has the motorized hunting rule, you can't utilize a road that is specified for vehicles 50-inches or less for anything other than packing camp in or packing camp and meat out with any motorized vehicle, including an E-bike.

Last edited:
OP
R

rtrevor

FNG
@IdahoHntr thanks for that response. That is definitely the way I read the regs, but it is nice to have someone with actual experience verify. It’s also nice to hear that the rule seems to at least to some extent serve its purpose. If more people would read the regs it might work even better.

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
Here's the realities that I've encountered.

- Getting away from ATVs is easily doable if you put in the leg work. Obviously don't hike into a trailhead that has ATV trailers parked there. But I wouldn't shy away from an empty trailhead that allows ATVs. We ran into moo cow ranchers on ATVs looking for their herd, not hunters.

- Getting away from horse hunters will be your biggest challenge. There's a one trailhead in particular that was lined up with parked horse trailers for a good 200 yds or so. Another trailhead looked like a wall tent city about the size of Tetonia.

That being said, we hiked into 2 different spots and got into elk both times. It's just not the style of hunting I'm interested in. Sorta like bumping elbows while fishing on the side of a river. You can catch fish, but how fun is it? There's probably some advantages to all the people - they push elk everywhere, so you could probably throw a dart on the map, hike in, and find elk. Good luck!

OP
R

rtrevor

FNG
@mitchellbk Thanks for the response and the intel. We will see how it goes. This may be my first and last year to hunt this unit. I look forward to this trip all year. So, whatever happens, we will make the best of it.

Good luck to you as well.

Rmhely

FNG
Just because there are travel restrictions doesn't mean the ATVers will respect them. I rifle hunted the west side of Bear Creek in the Tex Creek unit (coming in from the IF side) for 7 years during the "7 day War" (that's Idahoan for the rifle elk hunt) some on foot and some on horseback and saw ATVs in restricted areas Every. Single. Day. In fact, one year the Forest Service Yellow Coats decided to bring in controlled burn units, including a fire-bombing helicopter, and ran burns the whole week in the restricted areas, so plenty of yellow-coaters running ATVs on the restricted trails and chainsaws wherever they lit a fire. That was either 2014 or 2015. I hunted archery for two years on the east side of Bear Creek (coming in from Palisades) and got into elk every day, but also saw motorcycles ripping up and down the Bear Creek trail Every. Single. Day. I agree that in Tex Creek you either have to find the ugliest, brushiest, deepest, nasty spot to find elk, or just be dang lucky. Only nastier place in SE Idaho is Unit 67. Won't go there without a horse and 6 months of intense cardio.

Rmhely

FNG
Oh, and in 2014 I did see what looked like a sow griz and cub in Tex Creek. I keep a .357 close and my buddy carries a 10mm along with bear spray when we hunt Tex Creek, but we've never had to use them.

OP
R

rtrevor

FNG
@Rmhely Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate the information. I take it you don't hunt Tex Creek anymore?

Rmhely

FNG
@Rmhely Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate the information. I take it you don't hunt Tex Creek anymore?
Been lucky enough to draw some LE tags in other states the last few years, so no need to hunt ID. I do watch the sale of the non-res allocated tags. Used to be you could just show up and buy a tag - not any more, same with UT. I’ll get back to Tex Creek when my luck in the LE draws runs out.

jjdub

FNG
I hunted Tex Creek archery this year and it was TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH the week of Sept 20-26. Bulls were not talking and there were A LOT of hunters. I'm not sure I would spend the money for non res tag to do this again. I think if the bulls were bugling though, it would have been different. Despite the amount of hunters we were still able to get a way by putting some miles on the boots. my phone said we logged 50 miles in those 7 days. Saw elk, moose and bear. but the elk stay in the trees and are hard to spot. if you try to sneak them it's too loud and too thick to shoot with those stupid choke cherries everywhere.

It seems like there are ATV and truck trails all over this unit from what I have seen looking in the unit trying to decide if it is worth it or not

With the motorized hunt rule for those units, the only people you SHOULD see riding around in there are recreational riders unless it’s a hunter packing in/out a camp or hauling an animal out. That goes for trails accessible by things not a full sized vehicle.

87TT

WKR
With the motorized hunt rule for those units, the only people you SHOULD see riding around in there are recreational riders unless it’s a hunter packing in/out a camp or hauling an animal out. That goes for trails accessible by things not a full sized vehicle.
Hahahahaha