Texan's first trip up the [REDACTED] headwaters (CO 78 SJW )

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
BOIL SNOW! Mountains are steep and ass whooping. Killed one that fell to the bottom of a 50 degree slope. DONT DO THAT. Focus on Escape routes and think outside the Box when on Google earth. Stay away from trailheads and dead end roads if possible. They are NR magnets,including myself at one time. Don't focus So much on where You go in,but more on Where you think the ELK will come out. Have fun Pagosa is a GREAT TOWN and I have never been treated other than with respect.

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
From what you've said so far your plans are going to change big time. The areas you mentioned are generally not hunted by people without horses/outfitters and I'm not just talking about for game retrieval. I strongly recommend you take the distances you're planning to go, and cut them into thirds and focus on areas within that first third of the distance from where ever you park. Trust me, or don't, but you will be changing your game plan at some point. That's also a tough time of the year for your very first backpacking trip.

Weather will likely be mild during the day and it will get below freezing every night. Or it could be snowy, it could be very snowy.

Don't always count on outfitters bailing you out for game retrieval. They might be too busy when you call, and there's a strong chance that wherever you are won't have any cell coverage to call them in the first place.

Hunting pressure will likely be heavy to very heavy, it's an over the counter season. You sound like an honest guy so I gave you my honest response. You can still have a successful, and safe season without trying to go deep into the backcountry.
LOL. BRINGS back nightmares. You hit the nail on the Head. Thank God I REMEMBER my mistakes...

OP
C
BOIL SNOW! Mountains are steep and ass whooping. Killed one that fell to the bottom of a 50 degree slope. DONT DO THAT. Focus on Escape routes and think outside the Box when on Google earth. Stay away from trailheads and dead end roads if possible. They are NR magnets,including myself at one time. Don't focus So much on where You go in,but more on Where you think the ELK will come out. Have fun Pagosa is a GREAT TOWN and I have never been treated other than with respect.
What's a NR?

So only kill ones that fall to the bottom of 50 degree slopes if you're parked at the bottom... got it!

OP
C
LOL. BRINGS back nightmares. You hit the nail on the Head. Thank God I REMEMBER my mistakes...
The harder the lesson the deeper it's cut into memory. The messed up thing is I'd buy you beer if you told me of everything you wish you'd done different the first time and I still make the same mistakes. I mean... that shit won't happen to me, you know? just built different! :ROFLMAO: