Texan's first trip up the [REDACTED] headwaters (CO 78 SJW )

From what you've said so far your plans are going to change big time. The areas you mentioned are generally not hunted by people without horses/outfitters and I'm not just talking about for game retrieval. I strongly recommend you take the distances you're planning to go, and cut them into thirds and focus on areas within that first third of the distance from where ever you park. Trust me, or don't, but you will be changing your game plan at some point. That's also a tough time of the year for your very first backpacking trip.

Weather will likely be mild during the day and it will get below freezing every night. Or it could be snowy, it could be very snowy.

Don't always count on outfitters bailing you out for game retrieval. They might be too busy when you call, and there's a strong chance that wherever you are won't have any cell coverage to call them in the first place.

Hunting pressure will likely be heavy to very heavy, it's an over the counter season. You sound like an honest guy so I gave you my honest response. You can still have a successful, and safe season without trying to go deep into the backcountry.

OP
C
Not yet... shopping though. I figure a stove also means a saw and hatchet is needed, huh? If there is no snow by then, will there be any water at all? I don't expect there is any of lasts years snow melting off still, or is there?

rayporter

WKR
when you find water fill your water jugs and at night keep one in your bag with you. you might heat it up before you put it in your bag for warmth.
the one out side the bag should be upside down and covered with some gear so it dont freeze solid.

OP
C
From what you've said so far your plans are going to change big time. The areas you mentioned are generally not hunted by people without horses/outfitters and I'm not just talking about for game retrieval. I strongly recommend you take the distances you're planning to go, and cut them into thirds and focus on areas within that first third of the distance from where ever you park. Trust me, or don't, but you will be changing your game plan at some point. That's also a tough time of the year for your very first backpacking trip.

Weather will likely be mild during the day and it will get below freezing every night. Or it could be snowy, it could be very snowy.

Don't always count on outfitters bailing you out for game retrieval. They might be too busy when you call, and there's a strong chance that wherever you are won't have any cell coverage to call them in the first place.

Hunting pressure will likely be heavy to very heavy, it's an over the counter season. You sound like an honest guy so I gave you my honest response. You can still have a successful, and safe season without trying to go deep into the backcountry.
Appreciate the response. Yea, may be truck camping the entire time (and I have some holes I've been eyeing near the road), or maybe 2 or 3 day spikes - figure the weather will determine that. I've got an InReach I've been testing for comms and sos. I'm not planning to take stock this go around.

From buds that have been to the area and got their asses kicked, I fully expect the same. But I'm buying preference points and need to start practicing so I'm ready when my points are. Last real backpacking trip was when I was teenager and it was summer in New Mexico. I did work a bit at a ranch in Guffey, CO but I high-tailed it before winter set in.

OP
C
when you find water fill your water jugs and at night keep one in your bag with you. you might heat it up before you put it in your bag for warmth.
the one out side the bag should be upside down and covered with some gear so it dont freeze solid.
Thanks for the tips. Why upside down? Is iodine the way so I don't need to worry about filters freezing?

Im glad to hear that, and you'll be much happier base camping from a vehicle that time of year. Get in a mile or two or three from there and hunt hard, good things can happen. Save the first backpack/hunt for a September hunt some year.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Give sundown outfitters a call. They can pretty much do day stuff in any of the surrounding units. And like you just said keep an Eye on the weather because that higher elevation stuff you’re mentioning can get a ton of snow quick come October.. There’s good elk hunting around if you just stick it out and don’t give up! Good luck to you guys and maybe we’ll see you on the trial.

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
Was just in that area for vacation. Bring good rain gear, we got rain every single day. Also if you’re high up be prepared for some storms. Granted September is a ways away and the monsoon may dry out before then but it’s wet, thick, and muddy depending on the weather.

OP
C
It's pretty much the same.
LOL! Here, I can wait until peak rut and get them all in a frenzy and they can't leave the fence, and when I get one down bring the tractor up and haul him out. Got to say though, the african hoofstock took it pretty bad 2 winters ago but the elk weren't phased atall.

OP
C
Was just in that area for vacation. Bring good rain gear, we got rain every single day. Also if you’re high up be prepared for some storms. Granted September is a ways away and the monsoon may dry out before then but it’s wet, thick, and muddy depending on the weather.
I ponied up for Forloh rain gear and sure hope it's worth it.

Did you say Pagosa?

Attachments

• 37A675AA-C904-4797-B5F2-67533A21D2CA.jpeg
    37A675AA-C904-4797-B5F2-67533A21D2CA.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 1DD97FAD-6770-4A4B-A537-CE3CB4940DFC.jpeg
    1DD97FAD-6770-4A4B-A537-CE3CB4940DFC.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 37
Heads up guys! Some mountain greenhorns are heading up the [REDACTED] this year during 2nd rifle.

Experienced with elk and big game but not backpacking or mountains. Looking for advice about the [PAGOSA AREA & SJW]. Water resources? 2nd rifle weather? Hunter pressure? Packers in the area? Dead and Down?

Not committed to any specific areas but some sure look pretty from above. Especially the [REDACTED] between [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] Creeks; looks like quite the glassing spot.

Any locals here?

PS. First post here and I just want to say thanks to all of you that participate and make learning from this forum so easy.

EDITED: to redact specific location details
This post reads like the Trump raid warrant. LOL