Texas A&M studies the connection between hunters and animal rights advocates

“There were some predictable responses from animal advocates and hunters, but there was also some interesting dynamics that showed there was some alignment between advocates and caring hunters,” he said. “That was surprising, but the biggest concern is the percentage of people identified as disengaged. They scored lowest on all of our measures and displayed little interest in wildlife conservation, empathy for wildlife, or consideration of their protection as a moral issue.”

CoStick

WKR
At the end of the day we all have far more in common than differences. It is a matter of what you choose to focus on. It is possible to discuss topics and maintain civility. I hunt with numerous people based on their desire to be part of nature and eat clean. They would have been disengaged or lean towards animal rights previously. However they would probably be attacked on here for not being conservative enough.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I was just having lunch with a friend and his wife last weekend. His wife is what most here would call a "liberal" with concerns for the treatment of animals. She's not a vegetarian, but close. Anyway, she has always cringed at the talk of hunting and has never really approved of her husband hunting. I pointed out to her over lunch that the meat I secure for our family is taken in the most humane way possible - that these wild animals live the best life possible right up to the moment the lights go out, which is typically very different from meat we would obtain from domestic animals. She said she had never really thought of it that way before. I've had a number of vegans and vegetarians in the past 20-25 years tell me they have less trouble with ethically hunted meat than they do with meat from domestic livestock. A few have even eaten venison or feral pig meat that I've prepared for them.

bozeman

WKR
hehe.....Newtosavage- she has never APPROVED of her husband hunting......cracks me up......

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
At the end of the day we all have far more in common than differences. It is a matter of what you choose to focus on. It is possible to discuss topics and maintain civility. I hunt with numerous people based on their desire to be part of nature and eat clean. They would have been disengaged or lean towards animal rights previously. However they would probably be attacked on here for not being conservative enough.
Very well said and I couldn't agree more.