Texas: Early Teal

Tex68w

WKR
Kent Teal Steel #5's on Teal this morning got it done.

0lyfBu3.jpg

3kazuHR.jpg

hnT1nxQ.jpg

XAcC8W6.jpg

0s5tYOz.jpg

JATails

FNG
Been an awesome teal season! If y'all go to purchase another box of shells try out the #6

JATails

FNG
If y'all have some recipes/styles let me know. We've been doing the normal bacon/cheese/pepper wrap and glazing with a jelly, sometimes stuffing with a pitted date (desert like). Try and change it up some and do stir fry, chicken fried, fajitas, nachos, breast grilled with Tony's and pot roasted (whole birds). Any additions I'd be appreciative!

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
Been an awesome teal season! If y'all go to purchase another box of shells try out the #6

I have some of those, we actually used them this weekend, they worked equally as well!

Teal are good eating!!

Agreed! IMHO they are the best of all waterfowl. Mallards and Woodies aren't bad either.

If y'all have some recipes/styles let me know. We've been doing the normal bacon/cheese/pepper wrap and glazing with a jelly, sometimes stuffing with a pitted date (desert like). Try and change it up some and do stir fry, chicken fried, fajitas, nachos, breast grilled with Tony's and pot roasted (whole birds). Any additions I'd be appreciative!

I made a pretty tasty fried rice with this last batch, I'll post the recipe below.

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
Duck (Teal) and Pork Fried Rice

Ingredients
  • 1-1.25lb boneless pork butt or shoulder cooked
  • 8-10 Teal breasts (4-5 Teal breasted)
  • 3 cups long grain rice boiled
  • 2-3 large eggs beaten
  • 4 green onions chopped
  • 1 stick of unsalted butter
  • 1 tbsp coarse Sea Salt
  • 4 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp Uncle Chris' Seasoning (substitute any all-season spice) *Optional
  • 1 tbsp Toasted Sesame Seed *Optional

I started with a small boneless pork butt which I cooked up Carnitas/Pulled Pork style (find any number of recipes for Pork Butt or Shoulder), it rendered around 1lb of cooked meat. I fried the Pork Butt in a pan for 5-6 minutes over Medium-High heat with 1/2 stick of butter and then removed it from the pan and set it aside.

vu2rRbN.jpg

Salt the duck breasts with the Sea Salt and let them sit out for 20-30 minutes to get to room temperature. Reuse the butter in the pan from the pork, add and melt the other 1/2 stick of butter and cook the duck breasts for 3 minutes on each side over Medium-High heat, remove and set aside to cool. Chop the breast meat into bite size pieces.

N2Hr5At.jpg

mwfwHTO.jpg

0mCPmLY.jpg

V1kodXC.jpg

Boil 3 cups of long grain rice and set aside. Chop up 4 green onions and beat 2-3 large eggs and set them aside. Combine half of the green onion along with with the duck meat and pork meat in the pan with the remaining butter from cooking the meat earlier. Add 4 tbsp of soy sauce and cook for 5-6 minutes over Medium-High heat.

gzmJepO.jpg

Add the cooked rice to the pan and mix it in well with the meat. Reduce the heat to Medium-Low and cook for 5-6 minutes stirring frequently to keep it from sticking to the pan. Push the rice to the sides leaving an opening in the middle of the pan for the eggs. Cook the eggs while stirring frequently until scrambled and then stir the egg into the rice mixture. Add in the remaining green onion and continue to cook for 5-6 minutes. Add the optional toasted Sesame seeds and Uncle Chris' Seasoning to the rice and stir in well.

fhYsoTl.jpg

Once served we add in Sriracha, Hot Yellow Mustard and additional Soy Sauce to personal taste/preference.

YYKnpAf.jpg

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
We got one last hunt in before Early Teal closed today. Not quite a burner but we had a solid morning. Looking forward to big bird season opening here in another month.

lf7ispG.jpg

MKJ45UK.jpg

7VLBPgO.jpg

JATails

FNG
I have some of those, we actually used them this weekend, they worked equally as well!

Agreed! IMHO they are the best of all waterfowl. Mallards and Woodies aren't bad either.

I made a pretty tasty fried rice with this last batch, I'll post the recipe below.
Thank you! I'm going to print this and giving it a go. Glad to hear y'all got on them again for the closure! Been the best duck/teal hunting I've experienced and talking with the others around sounds like the majority had the same consensus. Bring on the big ducks and specks!

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
Thank you! I'm going to print this and giving it a go. Glad to hear y'all got on them again for the closure! Been the best duck/teal hunting I've experienced and talking with the others around sounds like the majority had the same consensus. Bring on the big ducks and specks!

I had another forum user suggest hammering out/tenderizing the breasts before cooking and then tossing them in flour before cooking, it might be worth trying!?

Yea we had five hunts planned for early Teal and we only got three in the books, that tropical storm wrecked the other two. So far this season is better than what I can recall of bird activity in the past two years, I hope that trend continues through the rest of the year.

We have many big duck trips planned along with a few geese and Sand Hill Crane as well. It looks like we are going to do a few days up in Stuttgart, AR in December as well. I haven't been this pumped about waterfowl in a few years. Best of luck this season to all of you waterfowl hunters out there.

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
Managed limits during the two teal hunts I was able to get out for this year. Bird numbers were higher than any of the last three years. On top of that I was able to take my 5 year old both times and he had an absolute blast. According to him now, "Saturday's are for duck hunting". IMG_3906.JPG

IMG_4048.JPG