Texas hog hunt advice , San Antonio area

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, I’m planning on going to visit some family in Louisiana and Texas in January and was looking at setting up a hog hunt while down there. Anyone have any ideas on where to start looking? Any past experience on the forum? Sure would be nice to turn this little trip into a at least a day hunt. I’ve never been to Texas so I want to check all the boxes , BBQ and hog hunting, and maybe a day on the flats fishing. It’s gonna be a 2 to 3 week trip so plenty of time to get a hunt in.

Thanks I’m advance,

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look into booking a night hunt using thermal gear. High success rate. Most of them start up as soon as deer season ends.

OP
M

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Budget is pretty flexible. I heard that some hunts go for only a couple hundred a day, not really that interested in in spending several thousand to hunt a hog like a 2-4K helicopter hunt. Rode one in the army so I’ve checked that off my bucket list already.

gburk

WKR
there was a young guy around Floresville (like 45min SE or so out of SA) that did night time hogs with dogs hunts. pretty exciting, you will get some blood on you when you work the blade in there! I did it a few years ago and could look up his contact information if you're interested. If he's not still doing it, could probably hook you up with someone that does. Bonus is that the hogs around there tend to eat a lot of peanuts and taste great. true Texas experience there!

wytx

WKR
Check out the outfitters thread on the Texas Hunting Forum. Lots of options and I would also recc. a thermal hunt if possible. You should be able to find a place with stand hunting or spot and stalk til dark then a thermal hunt after sunset. Look to east Texas and North Texas areas as well. Texas Bowhunter Forum might have some contacts as well.
Lots of put and take places, don't go there.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Tons of options for hog hunts. I'd highly recommend an axis deer hunt, if it's in your budget. You'll be close to lots of free range axis in the Hill Country to the north and west of San Antonio. Biggest axis rut is in the summer, and those bucks will be dropping their antlers by January. But there are some bucks that have hard antlers at all times of the year, and some does that are in heat at all times of the year. I'm seeing several bucks starting velvet antler growth right now on my lease. They'll be hard antlered by January.

I'd advise anyone looking to hunt Independence Ranch do their due diligence, verify actual hunters reviews, and check with the TX Attorney General before committing to a booking with this outfit/ministry.
I know it's been a while for this thread but take a look at Independence Ranch in Gonzalez.

Funnily enough I have a coworker who today told me he went to Independence Ranch over the weekend. Sounds like its about as canned as a hunt can get. They bring in truckloads of pigs and release them on like 250 acres that's broken into smaller tracts according to him.

I'd advise anyone looking to hunt Independence Ranch do their due diligence, verify actual hunters reviews, and check with the TX Attorney General before committing to a booking with this outfit/ministry.
I've hunted there and would be happy to answer any questions as to why I'll never go back via private message.