Texas hog management

bachunt

FNG
Wondering if anyone on rokslide needs “help” knocking down some hogs on their property. I’ll handle carcass disposal, totally game for meeting up with some more members as well.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post!

TxxAgg

WKR
Good idea but any serious management is done with helicopters or traps. Hunting doesn't make a dent.

OP
B

bachunt

FNG
Good idea but any serious management is done with helicopters or traps. Hunting doesn't make a dent.
Damn. Not even with consistent hunting of the same heard? What about trapping? Would love to help some people out, it’s crazy seeing how much land they can chew through.

TSAMP

WKR
Yeah cats outta the bag on this one. Your better off trying to swap a hunt to gain "free" access to hogs, aka the poor man's grizzly. They are a money maker and nobodies giving that away.

The things you have heard about people just looking for someone to come shoot pigs is honestly a myth.

There are reasonable trespass fee leases and hunts. But be prepared for a challenge. As is most things in life. Cheap is usually that way for a reason.
I have an arrangement on a large lease for my group that is around 100 bucks a day with semi primitive lodging. Going there on Friday for a week.

I provide this as a baseline cost for your own research.

JFK

WKR
If you live close to an area with hogs, and have skills that would be valuable to a landowner (heavy equipment, carpentry, welding, etc) that is a better option. I’m in Ca but know a guy who got some great pig hunting permission on a large ranch here going that route. It’s very tough though and expect a lot of “No”s. The old land owners need the money so they charge directly or lease out the hunting. The new landowners typically have big $ and mostly don’t care about the money, but also don’t want additional people on their land for liability sake or they don’t want it hunted. That’s how it is here at least. Very frustrating that it’s been monetized to the point it is now. Hell, people want money to come onto their place to shoot ground squirrels off their pasture.

WCB

WKR
The only hunting 'management' for Texas hogs, is folk managing to charge hunters $200+/day whilst complaining about how devastating the population is.... still, King Ranch f350s don't buy themselves.
RIght? Same with deer...they want depredation payments and complain about losses on crops but you ask them to hunt to shoot the deer...crickets or how about a $200 tresspass fee?

How about I soot 4 does for you and you don't lose money on your crops as payment.

OP
B

bachunt

FNG
Yeah cats outta the bag on this one. Your better off trying to swap a hunt to gain "free" access to hogs, aka the poor man's grizzly. They are a money maker and nobodies giving that away.

The things you have heard about people just looking for someone to come shoot pigs is honestly a myth.

There are reasonable trespass fee leases and hunts. But be prepared for a challenge. As is most things in life. Cheap is usually that way for a reason.
I have an arrangement on a large lease for my group that is around 100 bucks a day with semi primitive lodging. Going there on Friday for a week.

I provide this as a baseline cost for your own research.
Really appreciate the insight. Thinking after I exhaust the public land options I will look into a hunting lease. Thanks