Texas Panhandle Archery Mule Deer

Krem

FNG
Does anybody on here hunt archery season mule deer in the Texas Panhandle? I'm looking for some advice on how to locate bucks in October. The property I hunt is a cattle operation that consists of a lot of arroyo country with juniper and mesquite flats with 0 agriculture. I love how difficult hunting mule deer is compared to the typical texas whitetail hunt but after 4 seasons I'd love to come to finally come full draw on a buck. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Ctb124

FNG
I always have found that if you keep moving and hunt all day you normally run into something.

Bghntr416

FNG
I hunt similar country. As stated, you need to hunt all day and look for vantage points to glass from. I often climb into the back of the pickup and glass from there. Pay attention to the mesquite patches. They seem to like those. If you have any neighbors with crops check to see if any deer are coming back onto you to bed up for the day. Cover lots of ground.

Jtd432

FNG
Glass, glass and glass. They are there. They will lay in the grass, under a tree or in a dune and let you walk or drive right by them.

dtrkyman

WKR
I call mule deer hunting staring at bushes, sooner or later a deer turns up in one! Low density desert mule deer make you question your very existence!

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Yes hunt similar. Agree on alfalfa if possible. Also strangely enough notice they bed during day around water as the cover and growth is thicker by the water in that country.

OP
Krem

Krem

FNG
PXL_20221104_165346893.jpg
Well I found a couple of bucks and was able to close the distance. Unfortunately there's a 20" main beam to main beam restriction and this guy was just inside his ears.
Now on to rifle season

I’m headed out near Caprock Canyon tomorrow. Fingers crossed but that 20 inch rule sucks.

Sucks but makes for large bucks!

How did you and OPs hunts turn out?

I’ve been dreaming of a good muley spot in the panhandle for years, I have a killer whitetail ranch I hunt but muleys are never present

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jtd432

FNG
Sucks but makes for large bucks!

How did you and OPs hunts turn out?

I’ve been dreaming of a good muley spot in the panhandle for years, I have a killer whitetail ranch I hunt but muleys are never present

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’d think it make for bigger deer. I don’t believe it, only the older better deer get shot. Cull deer live and breed, genetics get degraded.