Thank you, an update, and a question

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,

I wanted to say thank you for all of your help.

My bow is dialed in with new 100 grain inserts and a 100 -grain head. I also sorted out my layering system thanks to your advice. Also, I decided to use the inner layers I use for fly fishing and get a camo, wind-resistant, and water-resistant outer layer. I am selling my peloton mid-layer and bought a First Lite corrugated jacket. I can fit my baselayer, midlayer, and a puffy coat under it. I'm going to run some more tests this weekend, as the morning will be in the low 30's, then if that goes well, I'll sell my attack pants for the corrugate guide pants. I am hoping to fit a baselayer and mid-layer under them. I am currently researching more mobile, public ok tree stands and I am narrowing down my list.

I also wanted to say other posts have been super helpful to think about stand placement and scouting. Saturday, I found an area about 100 yards from my stand with a lot of deer tracks and deer poop, which I think might be a bedding area. The bedding area is right along a creek. About 30 yards above the suspected area there is a high ridge.

I can't move my stand, so I would be on the ground. If I wanted to set up near the bedding area, of course watching the wind, where would you set up, A, B, C, D, or other?

Either way, I picked up a game camera based on a suggestion here, along with a lock, and will place it either near my stand or near the creek, to see if I am right.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• map1.png
    map1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 15

WCB

WKR
Honestly, I wouldn't hunt the bedding unless it was a last resort or you have the deers movement to the bedding pin pointed. This time of year being 100 yards away might be a good opportunity to call and rattle a little.

also what is your predominate wind direction and how does it correlate with the map. Lets say the top of your map is north...in the next couple weeks bucks might start cruising the south edge of that creek scent checking the bedding areas. your map shows your current stand would be a good spot for catching those bucks. Plus you can ruin that bedding area the very first time you hunt....being on the ground is tough enough on passing deer but in their bedroom...no thanks.

OP
C

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, I wouldn't hunt the bedding unless it was a last resort or you have the deers movement to the bedding pin pointed. This time of year being 100 yards away might be a good opportunity to call and rattle a little.

also what is your predominate wind direction and how does it correlate with the map. Lets say the top of your map is north...in the next couple weeks bucks might start cruising the south edge of that creek scent checking the bedding areas. your map shows your current stand would be a good spot for catching those bucks. Plus you can ruin that bedding area the very first time you hunt....being on the ground is tough enough on passing deer but in their bedroom...no thanks.
Thank you. The top of the map is North. You are probably on to something. Deer tracks are all around that bedding area and then go east-west, so eventually, they might swing up. My stand is in a hollow, at the lowest point, which is at 1100 ft, with ridges on either side at 1800 ft. The wind changes direction all the damn time. I am brand new at this, so thanks for the advice. I'll steer clear of their bedding area and get to my stand extra early on Saturday. I have a grunt and bleat call, but no rattle call. Saturday is the start of muzzleloader for bear so there will be a lot of hunters in the woods, so unsure what that will mean.