Thank you for not becoming a Wordpress forum

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
2 of the other forums I frequent recently changed to Wordpress back-end and with that got a completely new design. It sucks. I guess it makes me old but I like the Rokslide style of forum more than anything new. Is this called a UBB forum? whatever it is, please never change to Wordpress. WP is a steaming pile of turd in all ways.

Anyways, I wanted to thank the rokslide admin team for keeping the forum as it is for as long as it has. It functions well and if it aint broke dont fix it.

"New" is not always "better". At this point I feel like software companies are changing things just so they can say 'look we did something, now give us more money!' (if anyone uses Wrike at work, they are the #1 offender of changing the layout every 3 months to the point I have to relearn the UI 4x a year). That's BS. WP forums are less easy to read, less functional, require more clicks, and generally harder to use. im not impressed with new things for the sake of being new, which seems like Wordpress' MO.

Call me old (im not), but I like things the way they are. New forum styles are worse than Rokslide's tried and true UBB. Keep it till the world ends!

OP
M

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
Our homepage and reviews are on WP. It's the best CMS for a blog-style format.
You just hit the nail on the head - WP is good for blog style / longer articles

It starts to suck when they treat a forum in the same way as a blog. Those are different mediums that should look and behave differently IMO, but WP tries to apply the blog format to a forum and it doesnt work for me.

Thank you, now I can articulate my distain for WP forums much more concisely :)

Weber

FNG
WP is fantastic for a lot of things, including forums, when you have professionals developing it. Most people buy a cheap theme and plugin and end up with garbage. It's like throwing a $20 Scope on a $1000 gun and blaming the gun. XenForo is nice, also a big fan of Invision as well.