Thank you Randy Newberg /gutless method.

So I am an eastern hunter that learned a new trick that will become a staple in my arsenal when breaking down my deer going forward.

I learned about the gutless method watching a Randy Newberg video. Tonight I shot a decent buck and utilized this method of field dressing for the first time. What a time saver! I shot the deer at 5:16. It ran 20 yards and was dead in about 5 seconds. I waited 10 minutes just to make sure. I climbed down from my stand and packed it up. Then went to the deer and started the gutless method. All together I packed up my stand , broke down the deer and packed 1/2 of it in my 2200 cubic inch daypack and the other two quarters in another game bag and was back to my truck 1/4 mile away by 6:37!

It was the easiest packing out of a deer in my life. With the vegetation where I hunt It would have taken at least an hour to drag it out to the truck and then the additional time once I got home to quarter it.

Very impressed and am a new convert to this method!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
yes, it is great. i used to drag my deer like you but that became less appealing when an elk is on the ground with nasty cover. even with snow on the ground i still prefer not to drag the whole animal.

since i learned about the gutless method a decade ago i've only gutted 2 animals. those were both within a few hundred yards of the truck.

I’m surprised it hasn’t caught on out east more. I showed it to a friend this year and his mind was blown... I think there is a cultural aspect still in play as up until a few years ago you had to physically bring your deer to a check station in a lot of eastern states.

I pretty much do it regardless of scenario these days. I did drag one deer this year because I was close to the truck and took it to the processor whole. I didn’t have the time to deal with processing... The other I did gutless and processed myself.

The gutless deer tastes much less “gamey.” I think that’s the last deer I’ll ever drag out whole.

It’s amazing how much heat is trapped by the hide. Unless you have the luxury of getting the hide off ASAP, it’s much better for meat care to just do gutless IMO.

I also had to do gutless last year because my truck was in the shop and was driving a rental car.

Brendan

WKR
I’m surprised it hasn’t caught on out east more. I showed it to a friend this year and his mind was blown... I think there is a cultural aspect still in play as up until a few years ago you had to physically bring your deer to a check station in a lot of eastern states.

It is still the law in certain places and in certain seasons that you need to check an animal whole at a check station.

I've done gutless on my only 2 Elk, and a whitetail as well, but I still prefer getting a deer home and aging it whole if temps allow.