Thanking after killing

To me, being thankful is really just acknowledging our own blessings to ourselves. It doesn't have to be religious or spiritual or anything like that. It's personal, and it has to do with our attitudes about the reality we believe for ourselves.

I wish I did this every day (I don't), but I do try acknowledge how lucky I am just to be born in this country to parents who had the desire and ability to provide me with a bright future, and of course all the freedoms I enjoy, aware of them or not.

No elk or deer get killed by accident; it's because someone did something, and we are damn lucky just to have the opportunity.

You know, I don't thank the animal, but I do apologize. I apologize that it was his/her time to go and whatever pain that the animal felt along the way. But I do like to take a moment and marvel at the beauty of said animal, for sure. I am mostly thankful to my wife and children for granting me permission to enjoy these hunts. It takes family support to get these things done.

It makes a lot of sense to be thankful, always thought it was odd to thank an animal you just shot though.

If something shot me and thanked me afterwards, my first thoughts would probably be:
  • Thanks? For being alive long enough for you to kill me?
  • For being dumb enough for you to kill me?
  • F*ck off, how about that.

Poser

WKR
I’d think that for the vast majority of modern hunters living in 1st world nations, being thankful for being in a position to live a life where you get to enjoy quite a bit of leisure time enjoying a hobby such as hunting would be the first priority. Thanking God directly for an animal you killed while enjoying a time consuming and expensive hobby seems a little ill conceived. For most, It’s not as if that deer in the freezer is going to keep your family from starving this winter. In fact, on that front, if you’re family is starving (and you’re not homesteading in AL), your time is almost certainly better spent working to make money to buy food for them. And, for that matter, you could probably sell your weapon, your freezer and your toys for a better ROI on feeding your family than hunting will provide. Do you get on your knees before you eat chicken wings? What about squirrel hunting? Coyotes? Insects? Theres a whole logical sequence that unfolds here that exposes some real philosophical problems in how “giving thanks” is selectively applied to the big game realm (ie the most expensive and time consuming sector) of modern hunting, but that’s just me.

I’d think that for the vast majority of modern hunters living in 1st world nations, being thankful for being in a position to live a life where you get to enjoy quite a bit of leisure time enjoying a hobby such as hunting would be the first priority. Thanking God directly for an animal you killed while enjoying a time consuming and expensive hobby seems a little ill conceived. For most, It’s not as if that deer in the freezer is going to keep your family from starving this winter. In fact, on that front, if you’re family is starving (and you’re not homesteading in AL), your time is almost certainly better spent working to make money to buy food for them. And, for that matter, you could probably sell your weapon, your freezer and your toys for a better ROI on feeding your family than hunting will provide. Do you get on your knees before you eat chicken wings? What about squirrel hunting? Coyotes? Insects? Theres a whole logical sequence that unfolds here that exposes some real philosophical problems in how “giving thanks” is selectively applied to the big game realm (ie the most expensive and time consuming sector) of modern hunting, but that’s just me.
Big game hunting is only expensive if you want it to be. I can shoot a deer with my dad's old 30.06 wearing jeans and a flannel shirt. I build my own recurve bows and arrows so I don't have a lot of expense compared to spending $2k on a new compound with all the accessories.

Also, I give thanks for every meal. I understand that not everyone looks at things the same and that's fine, but I don't consider hunting a hobby. We don't buy meat from the store. I look at the game that I harvest as a gift from God. It's a lifestyle and a process, it's about teaching my kids about where food comes from, and spending time working for that food, but certainly not a hobby.

I enjoy hunting, but I don't hunt for fun if that makes sense. I think that everyone hunts for different reasons and that's part of what makes it great.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
I give thanks for the amazing blessing to have been given a safe and successful hunt. I see the tv hunters saying thank you to their animals, and I am amazed at the lengths society will go to in order to deny the existence of our God. If you are such a TV or YouTube hunter, I ask you to give thanks to God.

Do I give thanks for a squirrel or for a hamburger? I do.

It is by His plan that we were born in this nation, given the abilities to hunt, and were allowed to hunt this animal amidst his creation.

Even feeling like you want to say thank you is to realize that you know there is more to this world than you.

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Romans 1:20-21

Rich M

WKR
I guess you feel this way. Your choice.

I hunt for food and sometimes for an adventure. Yes, I thank God for chicken wings and will acknowledge Him as I am able.

If I hunted squirrels or coyotes or bugs I'd thank God then too, I thank Him just for being able to see stuff and enjoy creation.

I don't begrudge folks for spending their time or money how they see fit. It's theirs...

BuckHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
Great question op. I can't say I thank the animal specifically. But I do think about the life the animal had up until the point I pulled the trigger and the fact that I ended it, and am thankful for the harvest.

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Depends...sometimes I’m on to the work of field dressing and other times very reflective. My reaction isn’t always the same though I consider myself a person of faith, I would say I’m more grateful than prayerful when reflecting on successful hunt.

Big game animals are on the same level as fish. Caught a nice one, shot a nice one. I’m not a religious person, saying grace at a table seems like commitment, all the phony shit that goes on in the outdoors, well, it reminds me of those televangelists.

caesAR15

Lil-Rokslider
I usually take a moment when I find the animal and say a quick prayer of thanks. Nothing big or grand, or showy. I think of it more of an acknowledgment of what just took place and an acknowledgment of the big guy upstairs.

Pro953

WKR
How can you not be thankful after a successful hunt. The amount of time and energy and luck it takes for everything to come together.

I am not a very religious person but I do usually say, thank you buddy or thank you momma I appreciate you feeding the family. Sounds silly to type it, but it seems right at the time. Like was said earlier, I am sure given the chance the animal would reply back with a big F-U. Still seems like the right thing to do, it died for my benefit.

Probably has a lot to do with how you came to hunting and what kind of death you have been exposed to in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk