Thanks, AKDoc!

USMC2602

WKR
September 9th, the day my buddy and I are supposed to land in Bethel for our DIY drop in moose with Renfro's, doesn't seem that far away now.

The main concern still in my mind was all of the "what if's" if we get a bull down in the water or some other hell hole. I'd been reading some of the older threads on the z-drag set up, but needed some more help. I reached out to AKDoc, and he could not have been more helpful with his own experience, advice, etc. I also took some of the great information on here from Kevin Dill and tdot to get my head around it. I'm a visual learner, and after watching a bunch of videos on YouTube, and then practicing with some stuff I had laying around in my basement, it all made sense to me.

IJaHbRC.jpg

Finally got this put together this weekend. 100 feet of 8mm dyneema core main line, 6mm dyneema core prussiks, 2 15' straps, caribiners, 3 regular and 1 locking pulley, all in right at 4.5 lbs. Now, just need more practice with it in the backyard between now and September.

It's advice and help from solid members that have "been there/done that" that I value most about this site. Thanks for your help, gentlemen.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
September 9th, the day my buddy and I are supposed to land in Bethel for our DIY drop in moose with Renfro's, doesn't seem that far away now.

The main concern still in my mind was all of the "what if's" if we get a bull down in the water or some other hell hole. I'd been reading some of the older threads on the z-drag set up, but needed some more help. I reached out to AKDoc, and he could not have been more helpful with his own experience, advice, etc. I also took some of the great information on here from Kevin Dill and tdot to get my head around it. I'm a visual learner, and after watching a bunch of videos on YouTube, and then practicing with some stuff I had laying around in my basement, it all made sense to me.

IJaHbRC.jpg

Finally got this put together this weekend. 100 feet of 8mm dyneema core main line, 6mm dyneema core prussiks, 2 15' straps, caribiners, 3 regular and 1 locking pulley, all in right at 4.5 lbs. Now, just need more practice with it in the backyard between now and September.

It's advice and help from solid members that have "been there/done that" that I value most about this site. Thanks for your help, gentlemen.

Extremely well done guy!!! Now...hopefully you won't need it!

Looking forward to hearing about your hunt! Sorry that my in/out dates with Renfro this fall don't coincide with yours...would have been great to meet you.

Semper Fi brother!

Saleen422

Lil-Rokslider
Heck of a setup been researching them as well, if you dont mind me asking what kind of money you have in your setup

If you find your prussiks struggling to hold with a two wrap prussik, add a third wrap. Sometimes newer rope or slicker sheaths can have a hard time holding with just two wraps.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Looking good!

I followed Kevin Dills how to on TradGang when making mine. Mine is lighter and not as heavy duty as yours, but I think it will work.

VernAK

WKR
Years back,........actually a half century back....... I heard a buddy shoot at a beaver pond that had been attracting moose........when i wandered over there, I found him naked and swimming one-handed toward shore while trying to pull a moose by the ear.

I didn't have Kevin and Doc to offer advice but i did have a coil of 550 cord that allowed us to get the moose to shallow enough so partner could wade rather than swim.

Thanks to Kevin and Doc for sharing their expertise

Beendare

WKR
Don’t forget the, “sit down and eat a sandwich“ strategy-grin

My buddies would kill me if I posted the pictures of them swimming out to get moose or Caribou In Alaska.

It seems the gases build up in those moose/caribou If you just give them a little bit of time and will make them easier to float Out.

—-

ColeyG

WKR
Generally speaking to get your prusiks to bite on the hauling line, you need at least a 2mm difference in diameter between the prusik cord and your hauling line, even with 3 wraps. With a 6mm prusik and 8mm hauling line you are right at that tolerance and so your prusiks should grab, but if your 6mm cord is on the stiffer side, you might get some slippage under more significant load. To see if this might be a problem for you, give your cord "the pinch test." Form a bight in your cord holding it about one inch down from the bight and pinch the two strands together. If the hole remaining in the bight is the same or smaller diameter than the cord (6mm or less) it should work fine.

In addition to building the 3:1, knowing how to quickly/easily convert that to a 5:1 (add simple 2:1 to your existing 3:1) or a 9:1 (3:1 pulling on a 3:1) would be handy in case you need a little more mechanical advantage.

Mechanical progress captures like your Micro Traxion are great little tools but come with some downsides as well. It can happen that you haul into a situation where you can't unload the weight on the pulley. Probably won't be an issue for you as you likely won't have a need to capture your progress as the load likely won't be in danger of taking off in a dynamic fashion, sliding back down a hill, etc.

Bear in mind that these pulleys aren't 100% efficient. I think your MOBILE pulleys are around 70% efficient? Meaning if you are hauling a 1600lb bull at 3:1, you are pulling 693lbs not 533 and the friction between the carcass and ground/foliage is going to add to the perceived load substantially, hence the potential need for more mechanical advantage.

If you want to lighten and/or simplify your kit, 2-3 prusiks are fine for 3:1-9:1 and you can certainly get away without the Traxion and locking biners. Wire gate non-lockers are totally fine for this application.

With 6mm cord and those pulleys your prusik hitch may slip into the pulley and can bind up so keep and eye on that as you are hauling away. Not sure how well those pulleys "mind" prusiks.

I'd also recommend knowing how to build deadman or mass vs. mass style anchors in dirt, mud, tundra, etc. in case there isn't a tree or other handy, suitable anchorage close by as is often the case on river backs and in moose swamps.

A guide buddy of mine had a client kill a bull a few years back that died in the middle of a beaver pond. After some head scratching, he took the beaver dam apart, the pond drained and the cut the moose up where it lay after the pond was gone. I thought that was a pretty creative solution to a rather large problem.

ColeyG makes some really great points.

Mastering a few types of equalizing anchors can allow you to use really small shrubs, all sharing the load, to move massive things.

If you are saving weight, you can also use items like this to add to a carabiner to use it as a pulley. It will be less efficient, but as Elmer Keith once said, "efficiency be damned! It's results we are after!"