The 1 Thing You Learned- ANTELOPE

It’s not going to be the most difficult hunt ever but it’s a hunt that can be enjoyed with a buddy or two so bring friends ( it helps is your fiends purchase WY preference points lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s not going to be the most difficult hunt ever but it’s a hunt that can be enjoyed with a buddy or two so bring friends ( it helps is your fiends purchase WY preference points lol)

It's my favorite type for "social hunting". Since you usually don't have to pack way into the backcountry, or spend days packing meat out, you have more time to enjoy hanging out with friends

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I learned the importance of knee pads and good leather gloves. After the first several stalks and rolling over to pull cactus out of my legs or hands learned those lessons the hard way
Good reminder! I grew up in the West, but never and States with cactus. Not sure if it was just me, but I don't associate cactus with places like Wyoming and Montana. Could be a really rude awakening if someone doesn't listen to your tip

Picture this "You've made it to the 10 round with Mike Tyson but he's beat the $hit out of you and finally you land the only punch that you had to" It's not about "They've earned your respect" It's relief that they can't hit back when you finally knock them into the dirt....I hate the little devils... but cannot wait until August. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
When you are watching a bunch and they are watching you, they will give you an obvious warning that is the start of the launch sequence. The hair on their butt patch will flare, you better be squeezing the trigger, because they are not sticking around long.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Picture this "You've made it to the 10 round with Mike Tyson but he's beat the $hit out of you and finally you land the only punch that you had to" It's not about "They've earned your respect" It's relief that they can't hit back when you finally knock them into the dirt....I hate the little devils... but cannot wait until August. I'm a glutton for punishment.
I used to feel this way about hunting chuckars in the steep canyons of the Deschutes River. At the beginning of the day you were hunting for fun, but by the end you were hunting for revenge lol

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Inquisitive by nature...to a fault! I’m amazed how they seek out things that are “out of place”

I've heard of hunters taking advantage of this inquisitive nature by doing things like flagging or waving a white handkerchief to lure them in. Do any of you have experience with this?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When you are watching a bunch and they are watching you, they will give you an obvious warning that is the start of the launch sequence. The hair on their butt patch will flare, you better be squeezing the trigger, because they are not sticking around long.
That's a fantastic tip that sounds like it was learned through hard experience

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I've heard of hunters taking advantage of this inquisitive nature by doing things like flagging or waving a white handkerchief to lure them in. Do any of you have experience with this?

On my hunt 5 yrs ago, my buddy took off his cowboy hat and slowly moved left to right.... closed the distance from 1500-400yds.

And they new we were there from the time the stalk started! Almost makes ya think they’re one of the dumbest creatures.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
On my hunt 5 yrs ago, my buddy took off his cowboy hat and slowly moved left to right.... closed the distance from 1500-400yds.

And they new we were there from the time the stalk started! Almost makes ya think they’re one of the dumbest creatures.

Turkeys frustrate me like this. How can animals be so dumb that they can't figure out how to get out of the road or around a fence, but they can foil our best laid plans (and expensive gear) in the field? Lol