The 1 Thing You Learned- ELK

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great topic. I learn something new on every elk hunt. One that I don't think has been mentioned...
Don't "guestimate" distance, even if you think he's "really close." Use that damned range finder that you've been lugging around all week.
So true! In high school I drove by this pine tree growing in a CRP field for years. Always thought it was pretty close. When I finally got a rangefinder, I found out it was 270 yds away. No wonder I missed that coyote in that big field!

FlyGuy

WKR
Know what your plan B is. I had a good plan A going into the hunt. Plan B was very generic, but 1 of our 3 had hunted this unit multiple times so we were going to lean on him for that. On day 3, we gave up on plan A and just as we hit the trucks my buddy got a message that his mother had passed. Terrible deal. He headed home and the two of us remaining were really scrambling. We wasted a lot of precious time those next few days picking roads that were terrible, picking areas that had tons of pressure. Just came down to Zero experience in that unit and no real plan on where to go. We managed to come out of there with a great bull but it could have gone the other way just as easily.

Losing one of my hunting partners wasn’t a contingency I had planned for. Anything can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've gone back and forth on this dilemma so many times. Is it better to be in your spot at opening light and not worry about bumping stuff, or wait and hunt your way in. I've done it both ways, but I always wonder what the right move is. Curious to hear other people's experience on this?

I think it depends a good deal on where you're hunting, but I have bumped dozens and dozens of elk in the dark moving up to a glassing spot. The thermals are generally favorable early and I want to be in "that spot" before daylight. Most of the spots I'm going to are an hour to two hours (almost always up) so it's inevitable that I'm going to bump elk occasionally on the way up.

I've also had several instances of folks starting a little later than myself, push elk up to where I am- alway a bonus :)

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think it depends a good deal on where you're hunting, but I have bumped dozens and dozens of elk in the dark moving up to a glassing spot. The thermals are generally favorable early and I want to be in "that spot" before daylight. Most of the spots I'm going to are an hour to two hours (almost always up) so it's inevitable that I'm going to bump elk occasionally on the way up.

I've also had several instances of folks starting a little later than myself, push elk up to where I am- alway a bonus :)
I wonder if animals are a little less spooked when bumped in the dark because they may not associate the disturbance with humans as much?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My thought is yes. All of the bumps have been on the "softer" side- not a ton of crashing, more just getting out of the way. Often I smell them before bumping, nothing like the strong smell of elk in the morning :)

Wapiti1

WKR
My thought is yes. All of the bumps have been on the "softer" side- not a ton of crashing, more just getting out of the way. Often I smell them before bumping, nothing like the strong smell of elk in the morning :)
In the general season in MT, my experience was more often than not, if I bumped elk on the way in, they were cows. Most of my glassing spots are lower than the bulls will be, or about on plane with them.

All the elk that were lower were herds of cows. That said, I also exploited those for a raghorn tagging along with mom. A dead elk was the point of the exercise. Any dead elk.

In archery, if I bump elk, I modify my strategy and figure out why they are there. I didn't expect them there, or I wouldn't have used it as an entry route to where I thought the elk were. Then I hunt them. No reason to find more elk when they are right here.

Jeremy

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In the general season in MT, my experience was more often than not, if I bumped elk on the way in, they were cows. Most of my glassing spots are lower than the bulls will be, or about on plane with them.

All the elk that were lower were herds of cows. That said, I also exploited those for a raghorn tagging along with mom. A dead elk was the point of the exercise. Any dead elk.

In archery, if I bump elk, I modify my strategy and figure out why they are there. I didn't expect them there, or I wouldn't have used it as an entry route to where I thought the elk were. Then I hunt them. No reason to find more elk when they are right here.

Jeremy
Great insights Jeremy! Now that you mention it, I've always done a little less concerned with bumping elk when rifle hunting vs archery hunting. Would you say that in your experience, rifle hunters can be a little more aggressive and worry less about spooking elk? I wonder how this would differ on public land versus private land?

Wapiti1

WKR
Great insights Jeremy! Now that you mention it, I've always done a little less concerned with bumping elk when rifle hunting vs archery hunting. Would you say that in your experience, rifle hunters can be a little more aggressive and worry less about spooking elk? I wonder how this would differ on public land versus private land?
Bumping in the dark is something they will tolerate provided they don't wind you. They wind you and nothing will keep them there.

How aggressive you can be depends on your end game. If you want any elk, then I would hunt cautiously and not blow any opportunity if possible. If I'm after only bulls, and I think my odds are best by not checking out the cow herds, then I'll just burn to my glassing spot and get after it. Usually this will be in an area where the cow herds are low and you already know they don't have any bulls. Places with ag fields where they snack at night, then hit the timber at daylight. You can usually glass them as they filter into the timber and see if there are any bulls with the herd. Sometimes there are, so it pays to check.

Every encounter that you didn't expect needs to be evaluated. Like I said above, I typically don't expect elk on the route I take, regardless of season, so it makes sense to me to try and figure out why they were there.

Jeremy

Cody_W

WKR
Always know your route to retrieve an animal you plan to shoot. Sometimes the easy way across the canyon doesn’t exist like you think it does. First picture is where the elk I shot this past season was, second picture was the cliff I had to navigate down, third picture shows a better scale of the area. 4th picture shows how most of the trek was. Makes sense why the elk were here, people weren’t stupid enough to go here. 😅😂

The route straight down from where I shot my elk cross canyon had a house sized boulder sheer off closing it off the year prior leaving it unnavigable. The route we took on the way to the Bull is the route in the picture, after 8 miles to get to the bull busting dense buck brush due to having to find a different route. Thankfully, the way out was 6 miles of which 4 was a horse trail making the heavy half of the trip muchhhh better. Ended up being 21 hiking hours to go a little under 15 miles on opening day of season. At least we were able to capitalize on a highly pressured low success unit with a decent 6x6!

Attachments

• E9500EEC-34B3-4ADF-B872-F2C9310C944E.jpeg
    E9500EEC-34B3-4ADF-B872-F2C9310C944E.jpeg
    495.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 686835F1-BC24-45EE-9C4F-93DE3DB0512F.jpeg
    686835F1-BC24-45EE-9C4F-93DE3DB0512F.jpeg
    745.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 45B4EC28-5348-4C3E-A29C-05E4DC68A7CF.jpeg
    45B4EC28-5348-4C3E-A29C-05E4DC68A7CF.jpeg
    502.3 KB · Views: 87
  • E9751756-9C23-4884-A3D0-CAB65079A111.jpeg
    E9751756-9C23-4884-A3D0-CAB65079A111.jpeg
    817.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 62DBDAE9-295A-4269-B7C6-7B7DCF4B84FC.png
    62DBDAE9-295A-4269-B7C6-7B7DCF4B84FC.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 256C06CE-8F8A-4630-A8F1-71FDC706EBB6.png
    256C06CE-8F8A-4630-A8F1-71FDC706EBB6.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 44DA0C02-4180-49E5-9F33-47B5A86E6F21.jpeg
    44DA0C02-4180-49E5-9F33-47B5A86E6F21.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 89

Cody_W

WKR
Ounces=pounds and Pounds=Pain!!

I’d like to add though, don’t short yourself on lightweight comfort items for the sake of the weight on the scale. Lose it off your ass and bring the blow up pillow and a decent pad. Sleeping well on the mountain makes for a much better trip. Also, make sure to have a patch kit for said pad. 7 nights on the rocks starts to hurt on the morning of day 3 and numb shoulders and hips begin on night 4 and on.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Always know your route to retrieve an animal you plan to shoot. Sometimes the easy way across the canyon doesn’t exist like you think it does. First picture is where the elk I shot this past season was, second picture was the cliff I had to navigate down, third picture shows a better scale of the area. 4th picture shows how most of the trek was. Makes sense why the elk were here, people weren’t stupid enough to go here. 😅😂

The route straight down from where I shot my elk cross canyon had a house sized boulder sheer off closing it off the year prior leaving it unnavigable. The route we took on the way to the Bull is the route in the picture, after 8 miles to get to the bull busting dense buck brush due to having to find a different route. Thankfully, the way out was 6 miles of which 4 was a horse trail making the heavy half of the trip muchhhh better. Ended up being 21 hiking hours to go a little under 15 miles on opening day of season. At least we were able to capitalize on a highly pressured low success unit with a decent 6x6!
Nice bull, and a great tip. When I 1st started hunting elk I had no idea how different the retrieval process would be then for something like a deer. Now I always make sure I have a group of friends lined up to help

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’d like to add though, don’t short yourself on lightweight comfort items for the sake of the weight on the scale. Lose it off your ass and bring the blow up pillow and a decent pad. Sleeping well on the mountain makes for a much better trip. Also, make sure to have a patch kit for said pad. 7 nights on the rocks starts to hurt on the morning of day 3 and numb shoulders and hips begin on night 4 and on.
I liked a trimmed down foam pad because I've had such a hard time keeping the air pads from getting holes. They are nice when they work though