The 1 Thing You Learned- MULE DEER

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They have ice in their veins, nerves are steel, they can hold, and stay absolutely still for hours. They are magicians.
I glassed up a buck last year from a fair distance, decided to move in on him and get a better look. I snuck into the location I estimated was close. I glassed for 45 minutes, finally I spotted the buck at 48 yards from me, almost completely hidden, I spotted his eye peering at me through the brush. It was awesome, once I found him I could make out parts of his rack and body, and I have to admit I was shocked that he held that close for so long. Really awesome experience. He never did move, I backed out and moved on. He deserved to live another day.
You're so right! Once I shot a buck in a wheat field, and unknowingly shot right over the top of two much larger bucks that were bedded 30 yards from us down a steep embankment. Even after gutting and loading up my deer, they never moved because they were sure they were hidden

Be diligent and persistent with glassing. Make small moves to new vatanges throughout the day. After the morning, start looking intentionally for bedded bucks and their features, not deer up and about (it's a different mindset). Also pay attention to the ground and tracks while you're changing vantanges or making a trip to fill up on water. I killed a buck this year because I saw his tracks all around a rock outcropping. Ended up glassing him up bedded at 4:00pm just a few yards away from there the following day.
Never forget these.