The 1 Thing You Learned- MULE DEER

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One of the things I've learned about mule deer is that mature bucks are not like young bucks. Many times I've seen groups of deer spooked out of their bedding areas. Most mature bucks will not follow the others. They will sneak out the bottom or over the top, always staying in the cover or they may just circle around and not leave the area at all. This is one of the reasons why they're so tough to get in their bedding areas.
This is right on the money. With this idea in mind, I make a note of where the deer go, and then intentionally think where a deer could sneek out in the opposite direction

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Slow down and stalk in socks...I spent 7 years here in Alberta learning that and succeeded in getting my first archery mule deer this year...they can hear and see much better than we give them credit for...binoculars even at 40 yds will help you!!
I've heard of people doing this before, so its cool to see that it can be done successfully. I would probably lose my shoes hahaha

TheGDog

WKR
If you wanna see bucks you have GOT to stay on it until last light! Get yourself used to hiking in via headlamp in the dark, and similarly leaving via headlamp in the dark. You've made all this other effort.... why in the heck wouldn't you maximize your time spent on it anyway?

Also pick a spot like 1000yds back from your intended destination while hiking-in... stop at that spot to change out that shirt that's now all sweatied-up from the 5-6 miles+ with a fresh dry one. Leave the sweatied up one hidden and draped over a greasewood bush to dry in the sunlight. And pick it up on your way back to camp or on your way outta there. No sense in dragging that ultra-sweatied-up shirt in there to your sit spot all thick with sweaty funk on it. Good time to put on your mesh or leafy facemask too. Lense cloth wipe your glasses ready. And your scope lenses. And maybe even slip-on your Sneek Boot coverings. As you approach your spot... take off the scope shield.. double-check you've backed down to low-power on your scope. Have your binos ready now in the bino harness (if you've had them in the pack up until this point). And be sure to use those binos to pre-check the path ahead of you on the way in to make sure you don't end up spooking an early-riser deer that you might not be seeing with naked eye.

And hug the edge like they do! It's usually quieter to travel like this anyway since a little path without grasses typically exists right beside the beginning of the chaparral. You don't have to take the trail line in always.

Most will know this, but newcomers may not. If you blow one out, stay calm and get ready to shoot. Odds are better than even money, he's gonna stop a ways out and turn to look back. You'll typically get 5-15 seconds at him before he moves out.
The only thing my grandfather told me when I asked him to give me some advice for mule deer hunting was this. In an old timey kind of way of talking he said, “when you eventually stumble upon a mule deer, you won’t be ready for it and you’ll spook the first half dozen you come across but be ready. They’re can be forgiving to the common idiot and will sometimes turn around once on their way out to get a good look at that stupid look on your face.”

TheGDog

WKR
When bow hunting at an ambush spot in concealment gear... that need for them to see where the arrows are coming from can lead to crazy close quarters face-to-face encounters. Mine was a 7yds stand-off. Didn't have enough time to actually remove the next arrow from the on-board quiver. So was playing the freeze-game when he unexpectedly turned inward toward my location whilst fleeing away from where the original arrow(S) were flung at him. And shortly after turning in toward me and we have the face-off. Son of a b*tch if he wasn't smart enough to then know to turn around and show his butt to my direction, and then look over his shoulder at me, just to be more cautious. The stand off lasted a surprising amount of time... me staying frozen in the hopes he might calm back down and then just saunter off calmly. But eventually he musta smelled my scent on the air and elected to stott away. Was my 3rd buck experience and definitely a "WTF do I do now!?" moment.

Good idea! You can always pour some out to shed weight if you didn't use it and you're on your way back home.
In my experience that water will get drank. Found myself in this scenario this year and I am thankful that my preseason scouting told me I couldn't count on finding water within a reasonable distance of camp and if I wanted to hunt my preferred area thoroughly then I needed to pack water in. Between standard hydration and dehydrated meals, water goes quick. Take as much as you can carry if there isn't a source at your destination and keep the focus on the hunt.

TheGDog

WKR
In my experience that water will get drank. Found myself in this scenario this year and I am thankful that my preseason scouting told me I couldn't count on finding water within a reasonable distance of camp and if I wanted to hunt my preferred area thoroughly then I needed to pack water in. Between standard hydration and dehydrated meals, water goes quick. Take as much as you can carry if there isn't a source at your destination and keep the focus on the hunt.
Rule of thumb is typically 1.5Gal/day for an adult. So figure 2 Gal/day.

WCB

WKR
Mine is one but a combo of two....Contrary to what a couple have said above about them stopping and looking back, my advice is...Don't expect mature bucks to stop and look back and don't wait. Be ready to shoot and make the shot happen.

I have been with and guided a bunch of people that dilly dally around and miss shot opportunities or "wait for them to stop". Unless it is early season or a hot doe is hanging around more times than not a mature mule deer buck gets gone and keeps going.

Learn to shoot rather quick. learn to shoot from uncomfortable positions (laying, sitting, kneeling, free hand, down hill, up hill, etc.)

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Experience from this year isn't as wisdom inspiring but I bumped several deer this year from being a little sloppy, getting too close to gullies while sneaking around and skylining myself in areas I didn't respect or expect to have deer (but did) - this is high plains of KS btw. Just need to slow it down. I use 20x binos exclusively for spotting (with a tripod) and when I'd get to an area I'd have to cross that exposed me, I'd glass for 5-10 minutes, look for deer and if I didn't see any I'd continue through - well even 20x aren't good enough if you're in a hurry as deer have pretty good vision out to 700+ yards and can tell if you're not a cow or something else on 4 legs - I just didn't really pick apart the terrain to look for all of the deer in the drainage I was covering - saw a few does I thought I could sneak past but a few others at around 300-400 yards spotted me and that's when about 20 or more got up (incl a monster) and hit the road. Really regretted that one.

Ultimately had a very successful year this season but last year was more informative - hunted CO's second rifle and hiked into a great set, used a four wheeler to get to a secluded part of the mountain that most trucks/jeeps couldn't get through and then hiked another 3 or 4 miles into the wilderness area where we set camp. On the first night, we about got snowed in and had to completely change up our plan. My best friend had hunted the same unit earlier in a different area/different elevation during archery and found some great muley habitat while elk hunting and gave me the details. The deer in the area were really only about a mile from the parking lot but were bedding in dense pine woods (with like 20 yards or less visibility in general). I think the snow had them holding tight to the cedars and while I walked around 10 miles scouting the majority of the area, I stuck to what I knew at the time and just tried hunting high points with good visibility (had an elk tag too). The first evening, I bumped a few does on an open knob that ran back into the cedars. On my way out of the woods that first evening, I came out down a clear cut and saw a ton of tracks going in and out of the cedars and even walked within 20 yards of 5-6 does that were holding to the edge of the trees that I pushed back into the cedars. I didn't hunt into the thick stuff but came back over the next couple days and hunted the high points with lots of visibility hoping to see elk and deer and their travel habits. I always heard during second rifle deer would be in the dark timber but ignored or didn't think still hunting through the thick stuff would be my best strategy. I didn't see a damn thing moving during the 3 days I hunted. But on my last night, we walked back down the clear cut I referenced and cut through the cedars back to the truck - there were tracks and beds everywhere. I really missed an opportunity to find deer by not getting out of my comfort zone and just still hunting through the thick stuff. Maybe the lesson on that one is if one strategy isn't working and you know there's something else to try, just try it (especially if all the clues are right in front of you)

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you wanna see bucks you have GOT to stay on it until last light! Get yourself used to hiking in via headlamp in the dark, and similarly leaving via headlamp in the dark. You've made all this other effort.... why in the heck wouldn't you maximize your time spent on it anyway?

Also pick a spot like 1000yds back from your intended destination while hiking-in... stop at that spot to change out that shirt that's now all sweatied-up from the 5-6 miles+ with a fresh dry one. Leave the sweatied up one hidden and draped over a greasewood bush to dry in the sunlight. And pick it up on your way back to camp or on your way outta there. No sense in dragging that ultra-sweatied-up shirt in there to your sit spot all thick with sweaty funk on it. Good time to put on your mesh or leafy facemask too. Lense cloth wipe your glasses ready. And your scope lenses. And maybe even slip-on your Sneek Boot coverings. As you approach your spot... take off the scope shield.. double-check you've backed down to low-power on your scope. Have your binos ready now in the bino harness (if you've had them in the pack up until this point). And be sure to use those binos to pre-check the path ahead of you on the way in to make sure you don't end up spooking an early-riser deer that you might not be seeing with naked eye.

And hug the edge like they do! It's usually quieter to travel like this anyway since a little path without grasses typically exists right beside the beginning of the chaparral. You don't have to take the trail line in always.
Doing whatever it takes to be there at first or last light is so important, like you mentioned. A few years ago I was hunting in Idaho with some friends of mine who are experienced guides. I thought we were wasting our time by staying out so late. It was past shooting light so we weren't technically hunting, but those guys stayed until their eyes couldn't strain in the binoculars any longer. They actually spotted some deer and learned some habits that we were able to use later in the hunt. This knowledge wouldn't have happened if we would have given up when I was ready to throw in the towel.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The only thing my grandfather told me when I asked him to give me some advice for mule deer hunting was this. In an old timey kind of way of talking he said, “when you eventually stumble upon a mule deer, you won’t be ready for it and you’ll spook the first half dozen you come across but be ready. They’re can be forgiving to the common idiot and will sometimes turn around once on their way out to get a good look at that stupid look on your face.”
ha ha ha I can just picture an old timy grandpa figure saying that in a gruff voice

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When bow hunting at an ambush spot in concealment gear... that need for them to see where the arrows are coming from can lead to crazy close quarters face-to-face encounters. Mine was a 7yds stand-off. Didn't have enough time to actually remove the next arrow from the on-board quiver. So was playing the freeze-game when he unexpectedly turned inward toward my location whilst fleeing away from where the original arrow(S) were flung at him. And shortly after turning in toward me and we have the face-off. Son of a b*tch if he wasn't smart enough to then know to turn around and show his butt to my direction, and then look over his shoulder at me, just to be more cautious. The stand off lasted a surprising amount of time... me staying frozen in the hopes he might calm back down and then just saunter off calmly. But eventually he musta smelled my scent on the air and elected to stott away. Was my 3rd buck experience and definitely a "WTF do I do now!?" moment.
I've had those same stand off moments too. It's insane how animals can stop in ways that don't offer you a shot. One time I watched some bull elk walking around, then turn back to poke their head around a tree to see what that sound was.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mine is one but a combo of two....Contrary to what a couple have said above about them stopping and looking back, my advice is...Don't expect mature bucks to stop and look back and don't wait. Be ready to shoot and make the shot happen.

I have been with and guided a bunch of people that dilly dally around and miss shot opportunities or "wait for them to stop". Unless it is early season or a hot doe is hanging around more times than not a mature mule deer buck gets gone and keeps going.

Learn to shoot rather quick. learn to shoot from uncomfortable positions (laying, sitting, kneeling, free hand, down hill, up hill, etc.)
This can be especially hard for newer hunters. You bring up a good point that needs to be discussed with them so they are prepared. It's so important to be able to make shot happen quickly, but it doesn't help when we yell at them to shoot if they aren't ready.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Experience from this year isn't as wisdom inspiring but I bumped several deer this year from being a little sloppy, getting too close to gullies while sneaking around and skylining myself in areas I didn't respect or expect to have deer (but did) - this is high plains of KS btw. Just need to slow it down. I use 20x binos exclusively for spotting (with a tripod) and when I'd get to an area I'd have to cross that exposed me, I'd glass for 5-10 minutes, look for deer and if I didn't see any I'd continue through - well even 20x aren't good enough if you're in a hurry as deer have pretty good vision out to 700+ yards and can tell if you're not a cow or something else on 4 legs - I just didn't really pick apart the terrain to look for all of the deer in the drainage I was covering - saw a few does I thought I could sneak past but a few others at around 300-400 yards spotted me and that's when about 20 or more got up (incl a monster) and hit the road. Really regretted that one.

Ultimately had a very successful year this season but last year was more informative - hunted CO's second rifle and hiked into a great set, used a four wheeler to get to a secluded part of the mountain that most trucks/jeeps couldn't get through and then hiked another 3 or 4 miles into the wilderness area where we set camp. On the first night, we about got snowed in and had to completely change up our plan. My best friend had hunted the same unit earlier in a different area/different elevation during archery and found some great muley habitat while elk hunting and gave me the details. The deer in the area were really only about a mile from the parking lot but were bedding in dense pine woods (with like 20 yards or less visibility in general). I think the snow had them holding tight to the cedars and while I walked around 10 miles scouting the majority of the area, I stuck to what I knew at the time and just tried hunting high points with good visibility (had an elk tag too). The first evening, I bumped a few does on an open knob that ran back into the cedars. On my way out of the woods that first evening, I came out down a clear cut and saw a ton of tracks going in and out of the cedars and even walked within 20 yards of 5-6 does that were holding to the edge of the trees that I pushed back into the cedars. I didn't hunt into the thick stuff but came back over the next couple days and hunted the high points with lots of visibility hoping to see elk and deer and their travel habits. I always heard during second rifle deer would be in the dark timber but ignored or didn't think still hunting through the thick stuff would be my best strategy. I didn't see a damn thing moving during the 3 days I hunted. But on my last night, we walked back down the clear cut I referenced and cut through the cedars back to the truck - there were tracks and beds everywhere. I really missed an opportunity to find deer by not getting out of my comfort zone and just still hunting through the thick stuff. Maybe the lesson on that one is if one strategy isn't working and you know there's something else to try, just try it (especially if all the clues are right in front of you)
I've always dreamed about outsmarting a Buck in the thick stuff, but never been able to pull it off. You have a good point about analyzing how well what you have been doing is working, then switching things up instead of just continuing to do the same old thing

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s one I’ve learned the hard way many times - however you hike into an area, hike that way back out in the dark. Don’t look on your OnX and think ‘well this way out must be faster’. I’ve ended up in downed timber and thick shit one too many times thinking I had come up with a better route, when I would have been much better off going out the same way I came in.
Similar to this is when you are hiking out in the dark you should always stay high even if you have to gain elevation at the start. There is nothing worse then being in the dark and being down in a creek bottom or in thick timber. Gain elevation early, and hike above the timber line so you aren’t in the thick shit in the dark.

TheGDog

WKR
I've had those same stand off moments too. It's insane how animals can stop in ways that don't offer you a shot. One time I watched some bull elk walking around, then turn back to poke their head around a tree to see what that sound was.
Brother that moment haunts me!!! It was because I had to learn the hard way that with bow... 25yds means 25yds.. which means that halfway point BETWEEN 20yd and 30yd pin! And I say it haunts me because it was the nicest 3x3 I've seen in person so far in my short beginning hunting career.
But thankfully the next day... while I'm throwing out some "Hey... is anybody here?" Grunts with the Primos Uproar... this young dumb Sporkie comes crashing out of his bed in the nearby bushes and the whole thing repeats at the same spot the next day. But that time... Daddy was ready!

Here's the mofo that I had the 7yd face-to-face standoff with!!! Which is really good for that area. Trail-cam pic.
7yds Face-to-Face Standoff with Bow.jpg

chasewild

WKR
All archery lessons for me:

1. Socks on scree don't work.
2. Cover a basin from all angles.
3. Glassing at night does not mean a basin has been scouted.
4. Sometimes the best mule deer killers are too cautious.
5. Shiny things are evil.
6. Too close is a thing.
7. Too far is a thing.

TheGDog

WKR
5. Shiny things are evil.
#5 -> YES!!! If you've ever been in the field... and then way the hell over there you've seen hikers on the PCT... you know about how blaring the shine off trekking poles is. I make it a point to throw some electrical tape, or black marker over anything that's too shiny of a surface on equipment. Any little thing like sticks out like a sore thumb. Vortex used to be dumb about that with those laser-etched reflective branding parts on their binos. Always cut lil pieces of dull electrical tape to cover em up. Very little in nature is "shiny". Just leaves/vegetation, water, rock surfaces, and stuff on critters.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Brother that moment haunts me!!! It was because I had to learn the hard way that with bow... 25yds means 25yds.. which means that halfway point BETWEEN 20yd and 30yd pin! And I say it haunts me because it was the nicest 3x3 I've seen in person so far in my short beginning hunting career.
But thankfully the next day... while I'm throwing out some "Hey... is anybody here?" Grunts with the Primos Uproar... this young dumb Sporkie comes crashing out of his bed in the nearby bushes and the whole thing repeats at the same spot the next day. But that time... Daddy was ready!

Here's the mofo that I had the 7yd face-to-face standoff with!!! Which is really good for that area. Trail-cam pic.
View attachment 251814
For me I found that hunting is all about making memories that stand out. I totally hear you on that experience haunting you. I've got a zillion of those burning memories, but over the years, they have become some of the most fun to retell