The 1 Thing You Learned- Rifles

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Don’t overgun yourself. Shot placement is more important than horsepower.
We spend so much time arguing over calibers, when I think we should put more thought into the actual bullet. The newish Terminal Ascent looks like an outstanding elk bullet, especially in a sweet shooting caliber like a 280 ai

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
know your rifle well. and know it will perform. tape the muzzle because you never know when you may get something in it.

if it is wet and cold check to see if you firing pin is frozen or the trigger has ice in it.

my bud sat for 20 minutes once watching a bull while he held a bic lighter to his bolt to thaw it so he could kill the bull.
once i checked my rifle before leaving camp and it was froze up. i took my rifle apart and held the bolt and trigger over the stove to thaw it, when the moment of truth came it went bang.
I wonder if there is a type of light oil or grease that would keep your firing pin from freezing? Do any of our friends who hunt in really cold climates have some insight on this?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We’ve had an outstanding response from all of you on these “1 Thing You Learned” series. I just created a new forum thread about glassing smarter.

Head over to this link if you’d like to share one thing you learned about glassing, horror stories, or want to learn a secret for making the most out of your hard work in the field!

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We’ve had an outstanding response from all of you on these “1 Thing You Learned” series. I just created a new forum thread about hard lessons learned about choosing scopes for hunting.

Head over to this link if you’d like to share one thing you learned about scopes, horror stories, or want to learn a secret for making the most out of your hard work in the field!

DSC8095_2048x.jpg