The 1 Thing You Learned- Rifles

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely. I’ve taken a couple first timers who blew opportunities because they couldn’t get on target in time. My top advise is “Dry Runs” that mimic real conditions as much as possible. The gear is irrelevant if you aren’t well rehearsed in using it.

My #1 lesson learned this season is that I want a scope with less power/ larger FOV. I tried running a big 5-25x56 because I wanted it to double as a spotter. In reality I didn’t end up using it as a spotter, but both bucks I killed this year took longer than I prefer to get lined up in the scope. I will be downsizing my scope for next season. And saving weight...

I was a 1st time elk hunter this year (and got my bull...) and really believe this. I practiced shooting in different positions, but what I did not anticipate was getting on target FAST and with an elevated heart rate - either from exertion or excitement. We joked afterwards that this years target practice will include burpees and spinning around in circles before getting into shooting position.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was a 1st time elk hunter this year (and got my bull...) and really believe this. I practiced shooting in different positions, but what I did not anticipate was getting on target FAST and with an elevated heart rate - either from exertion or excitement. We joked afterwards that this years target practice will include burpees and spinning around in circles before getting into shooting position.
Nice job on getting your elk! You're right, we don't practice shooting off hand with the pressure of being out of breath or excited nearly enough. Anything else you think a newer hunter should know that you learned?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When the opportunity presents itself. Make it happen.

That is one that consistently comes up year after year with guys I hunt with. Along the same lines as target acquisition.
So true! I think this is hard to teach unless someone has spent a lot of time learning the fundamentals. Showing a newer shooter this thread would be helpful though, because it might help them understand the importance of committing the basics to muscle memory

street

WKR
So true! I think this is hard to teach unless someone has spent a lot of time learning the fundamentals. Showing a newer shooter this thread would be helpful though, because it might help them understand the importance of committing the basics to muscle memory
I think i learned it all from years of squirrel hunting with my 22 when I was young.

Phaseolus

WKR
I have two Tikka T3’s Set up exactly the same, same glass etc. The 30-06 is my big game rifle. The 223 is my coyote and prairie dog rifle. I really think this helps my big game shooting because I put 100’s of rounds through the 223 every year Under all sorts of field conditions.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
Nice job on getting your elk! You're right, we don't practice shooting off hand with the pressure of being out of breath or excited nearly enough. Anything else you think a newer hunter should know that you learned?

Lower magnification when practice shooting. I was intent on making the smallest groupings possible and using the highest magnification. Lower magnification makes getting on target faster. I was at the lowest setting when I took my shot.

I worked on visualizing the vital hit spots (I’d only been bird hunting prior to this) so when it did come time it was instinctive as possible. If I saw a picture or elk sized animal (a cow for example) I would try and see where I would aim. I didn’t want to get focused on a “sub-moa“ target.... probably sounds funny to an experienced hunter, but goes along with being on target FAST.

Also, make sure your guide/buddy/hunting partner doesnt get too excited and yell at you to take the shot.

Very good thread.

coyoteman

FNG
I've killed more coyotes then anything else with a rifle. One thing I've notice in the last few years is that I'm able to pull off way more running shots if I'm shooting a fast bullet. I would take my .204 @3800fps over my .243 @2900 any day of the week. A also quit flip flopping back and forth between calibers for day/night guns...nice only having to bring 1 box of ammo along for a day/night hunt

On my mule deer hunt I tried a mono pod with bino's and let my son take my spotting scope and tripod. Worked great. Much lighter and I feel like it forced me to hunt the deer in range vs spotting deer miles off. I used a old trigger stick I had laying around with a bino adaptor. I do need to find a mono pod that shortens up bit more but the trigger stick was actually very functional. On my elk hunt the one thing I learned was I need a bomb proof lighter. It was cold in montana this year.
I built up a monopod this year today and with my new set of 12x50 Razor binos, I saw soooo many more animals than last year. I originally started with a shooting monopod that the rubber/plastic fork broke off of, a $5 ball head I found on ebay, and the outdoorsman mount. I switched to a 6 piece collapsible monopod that now fits in the waterbottle pocket on the side of my pack. It also doubles as a walking stick or lay the monopod over 90 degrees and it has a little saddle to lay my rifle on.

Bino Monopod.jpg

Bighorse

WKR
This will sound unintentionally cheesy being that I work for Spartan Precision Equipment, but I am finding that a good rest is more important than the gun/scope/cartridge that fires the bullet. Right now all the trends are shooting farther, carbon fiber, Hubble sized telescopes, and it's refreshing to see when people put the same amount of thought into their rest.
Oh yea! I hunt the rainforest of AK primarily. The fundamentals include firearm stabilization first! I'm running for a rest or hitting the deck with my pack. I also know the limits of my off hand shooting. Inside 100yrds and I'm steady eddy with a functional margin of error.

Thumb goes on the same side as your trigger finger when shooting over 200 yards.

For years I struggled to shoot consistent groups and didn't feel comfortable shooting a deer beyond 300. Attended a leadership seminar and spoke to a Navy Seal sniper who told me to stop gripping with my thumb laid over the top.

One of those things that's so simple I still can't believe I didn't think of it myself.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a Single Focal Plane scope this year and forgot to adjust the parallax knob on my first shot at a buck.. Ended up getting him but definitely a lesson learned.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have two Tikka T3’s Set up exactly the same, same glass etc. The 30-06 is my big game rifle. The 223 is my coyote and prairie dog rifle. I really think this helps my big game shooting because I put 100’s of rounds through the 223 every year Under all sorts of field conditions.
I remember hearing 20 years ago that getting 2 of the same rifles in different calibers would create an advantage because of familiarity. Wish I would have taken that approach. Newer shooters, this is a great idea....

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
After having good fundamentals participating in a local PRS type club match would be very beneficial. They have you shooting a wide variety of positions under pressure which translates well to improve your odds on your hunt.
Great idea! Have you found that people at these events are pretty welcoming or helpful to newer shooters?