The 1 Thing You Learned- Suppressors

While I agree that the ATF is currently out of control, the video you linked is comparing apples to oranges. In the case of the douche in the video (anyone who wears their hat like that is a douche, sorry), he was selling metal cards with a "lighting link" image printed on them. Again, while I don't agree with their position on this, solvent traps or FRT triggers, in all of those cases, their premise is that people are trying to "skirt the law", or their definition of the law.
In the case of people filling out Form4s and obtaining suppressors legally, why would the ATF assume you aren't following the law when they literally have proof that you are following the law.
Therefore, my statement stands, just having a Form4 doesn't mean that the ATF can violate your 4th Amendment rights.
When he sold the plates , unmodified, they were not illegal. They were nothing more than a bottle opener. But the ATF decided to write a law/change a law, and notify no one, and then went to his home and began the illegal confiscation of his weapons. I say illegal, becaue the ATF can't make/change laws, and not inform the public. That's what the 20 Senators wrote in their letter to the ATF. Either way they violated his 4th amendment right which references an "unreasonable search and seizure", by acquiring an illegitimate warrant for something the public did not know was illegal. I see the ATF is making it clear, you have no rights, if they deem anything gun related is now illegal. That is until the courts put them in check. I get your point, but mine is the ATF violated his 4th, because it definately was an unreasonable search and seizure.

eoperator

WKR
Things I have learned with my suppressors,

-Rimfire suppressors are much better than sliced bread especially for kids/new shooters.

-earplugs are much lighter than suppressors, can't see myself carrying a suppressor very far ever again.
-make sure of poi with/without suppressor

slowelk

WKR
I'm really surprised to read some of these negative reviews on SilencerShop. After purchase I got a direct line to the guy that helped me purchase. The longest wait was two weeks - for my back-order to be filled. Once filled, the can was off to my dealer, and ready to certify the next day (today actually). Certification was a breeze, and my application is off to the ATF. From purchase to off to ATF was just under four weeks.

I called the number given to me by SilencerShop probably a half-dozen times confirming my pieces were complete, stock status of the can, etc, and either got directly through or was called back within an hour by the same guy every time.

Here's to getting my supressor before October!

I also got to speak to the designer of the supressor at CGS which I thought was cool.

I think some of the negative reviews of SilencerShop is due to the shear volume of business that they do. Once a business starts doing a huge number of transactions, potential for errors and unhappy customers goes up. The vast majority of customers are satisfied, but occasional errors are inevitable and there will always be a few customers who are disappointed.

Lawnboi

WKR
Negative reviews are all recent, because of eform. I get it people are pissed and waiting longer than they should, but what do you expect? Welcome to NFA bull crap. My experiences with silencershop have been good.

Sounds like eform 4 is running. Smoother now. I’m hearing guys getting cans sooner than 90 days now. I certified the 18th of January so hopefully any day now.

They need to get some more TBAC cans in stock so I can order another. I know they are out there but my local takes me over the coals for non dealer or silencershop transfers.

Last edited:
OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Things I have learned with my suppressors,

-Rimfire suppressors are much better than sliced bread especially for kids/new shooters.

-earplugs are much lighter than suppressors, can't see myself carrying a suppressor very far ever again.
-make sure of poi with/without suppressor
rimfire suppressors are the best! Point of impact shift is also a huge deal. The first time I saw how much a light barrel on an AR shifted with and without a suppressor I was shocked. About four inches at 100 yards

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm really surprised to read some of these negative reviews on SilencerShop. After purchase I got a direct line to the guy that helped me purchase. The longest wait was two weeks - for my back-order to be filled. Once filled, the can was off to my dealer, and ready to certify the next day (today actually). Certification was a breeze, and my application is off to the ATF. From purchase to off to ATF was just under four weeks.

I called the number given to me by SilencerShop probably a half-dozen times confirming my pieces were complete, stock status of the can, etc, and either got directly through or was called back within an hour by the same guy every time.

Here's to getting my supressor before October!

I also got to speak to the designer of the supressor at CGS which I thought was cool.

Negative reviews are all recent, because of eform. I get it people are pissed and waiting longer than they should, but what do you expect? Welcome to NFA bull crap. My experiences with silencershop have been good.

Sounds like eform 4 is running. Smoother now. I’m hearing guys getting cans sooner than 90 days now. I certified the 18th of January so hopefully any day now.

They need to get some more TBAC cans in stock so I can order another. I know they are out there but my local takes me over the coals for non dealer or silencershop transfers.
With the new E forms at silencer shop, can you do everything from home if you already have an NFA trust established?

slowelk

WKR
With the new E forms at silencer shop, can you do everything from home if you already have an NFA trust established?

I'd assume so. I just started my trust this go-round and I only had to leave the house to do fingerprints. Once those are on file I don't know what you couldn't do online or over the phone.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd assume so. I just started my trust this go-round and I only had to leave the house to do fingerprints. Once those are on file I don't know what you couldn't do online or over the phone.
Does anyone know if you have to go in to submit fingerprints again if you already did it two years ago?

Cwillimon

FNG
The biggest piece of advice I can give echos what many others have said. The shorter the barrel the better.

One suppressor will only fuel the fire for more.

Does anyone know if you have to go in to submit fingerprints again if you already did it two years ago?

I did. My local shop had them on file, but his system wouldn't work with the eform process. So, he had me come back in and re-do my fingerprints on the Silencer Shop kiosk in his store. They were submitted successfully after that. Took about a month to get certified due to the website crashing, logging out, etc... But I have been able to complete the process on my end as of 3/15. Just waiting on the ATF approval now. My can has already arrived.

WRM

WKR
I have owned special purpose suppressors for years. The only one that crosses over into hunting is a dedicated .22 suppressor. A good day of hunting squirrels is just better with it.

I do not use a suppressor on any of my other hunting arms. I tend to not notice sound or recoil when I'm shooting the big stuff at "something good". Maybe that's like a form of tunnel vision for hunters. Or, perhaps, I'm just not shooting "enough gun" and I need some much larger calibers so's I can really appreciate both the recoil and the noise. I'm sure someone(s) will set me straight on that.

And, no, I don't wear hearing protection in the field. I'm not saying that's right for you, but I'm fine with it.

I love a just over 16 inch barrel for many of my hunting guns. It is suggested you lose approximately 50 fps per inch of barrel (at least on the more "normal" calibers). I most certainly can live with that. But, I'm not chopping off the barrel just to hang on a suppressor that I see no real reason for and then end up with a longer than factory weapon.

Yes, suppressors have a place. One is inside my house on a shortie 9mm AR when people who weren't invited show up--I'd like to hear again within a couple days after that. But on a bolt action rifle that will be shot in the field a handful of times in a year, if I'm really lucky? Nah. I think they are a lot like carbon barrels--the current, super-cool "must have" item. Heresy, I know.

Last edited:

Stalker69

WKR
I've got several " ones". They look hideous, they make the firearm way longer, they have a high cool factor when others are shooting around you. Regular shooting range, shooting yea, not on my hunting rifle though.

The one thing I learned... its better to pick a suppressor that is purpose built for its intended use. I initially picked up a modular suppressor that could be adapted from everything from a .22lr to a 300WM. I have found that can hardly leaves the safe while my dedicated 5.56 can is always on one of my AR's and my dedicated 6.5 can lives on my hunting gun.

(*caveat would be if you are only going to have one can, a modular makes sense.)

Last edited:
OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I did. My local shop had them on file, but his system wouldn't work with the eform process. So, he had me come back in and re-do my fingerprints on the Silencer Shop kiosk in his store. They were submitted successfully after that. Took about a month to get certified due to the website crashing, logging out, etc... But I have been able to complete the process on my end as of 3/15. Just waiting on the ATF approval now. My can has already arrived.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Have a blast with your can!

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have owned special purpose suppressors for years. The only one that crosses over into hunting is a dedicated .22 suppressor. A good day of hunting squirrels is just better with it.

I do not use a suppressor on any of my other hunting arms. I tend to not notice sound or recoil when I'm shooting the big stuff at "something good". Maybe that's like a form of tunnel vision for hunters. Or, perhaps, I'm just not shooting "enough gun" and I need some much larger calibers so's I can really appreciate both the recoil and the noise. I'm sure someone(s) will set me straight on that.

And, no, I don't wear hearing protection in the field. I'm not saying that's right for you, but I'm fine with it.

I love a just over 16 inch barrel for many of my hunting guns. It is suggested you lose approximately 50 fps per inch of barrel (at least on the more "normal" calibers). I most certainly can live with that. But, I'm not chopping off the barrel just to hang on a suppressor that I see no real reason for and then end up with a longer than factory weapon.

Yes, suppressors have a place. One is inside my house on a shortie 9mm AR when people who weren't invited show up--I'd like to hear again within a couple days after that. But on a bolt action rifle that will be shot in the field a handful of times in a year, if I'm really lucky? Nah. I think they are a lot like carbon barrels--the current, super-cool "must have" item. Heresy, I know.
You could definitely be right about them turning into kind of a fad and the necessity being inflated a bit. One potential advantage I see is having one on a magnum for recoil reduction. Still waiting to see good evidence on their effectiveness versus just adding a pound to your rifle or a muzzle brake?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The one thing I learned... its better to pick a suppressor that is purpose built for its intended use. I initially picked up a modular suppressor that could be adapted from everything from a .22lr to a 300WM. I have found that can hardly leaves the safe while my dedicated 5.56 can is always on one of my AR's and my dedicated 6.5 can lives on my hunting gun.

(*caveat would be if you are only going to have one can, a modular makes sense.)
does your modular suppressor just not work as well on the smaller calibers, or was it too big and unwieldy?

WRM

WKR
You could definitely be right about them turning into kind of a fad and the necessity being inflated a bit. One potential advantage I see is having one on a magnum for recoil reduction. Still waiting to see good evidence on their effectiveness versus just adding a pound to your rifle or a muzzle brake?

I "think" the effect, even on heavy mags, as a recoil reduction device is minimal to non-existent. Surely, if anyone could prove a real reduction in recoil, then they'd be marketed as "sliced bread".

A quality brake is great for the range and repeated shooting. I know some of the more modern designs claim to have vastly improved the deafening report of early models, but I just don't find a need for them, personally, in the field. Maybe if I was long range varmint hunting and wanted to try and watch my bullet, but I don't.

I'm not even sure "fad" is the right word--I guess time will tell. For sure, they are here for now. Never thought I would see them take hold on hunting rifles (particularly bolt guns) like they have. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I just don't see a real need for it, myself.

I also don't really "get" the hunting use from another perspective. Anyone that has a can knows the absolute best effect is with subsonic ammo. A 9mm can with some correctly loaded subsonic ammo can be shockingly quiet. Most (if not all) truly big game hunting rounds fired from a bolt rifle will be nowhere near subsonic nor should they be for bullet performance. The sound of the bullet crack is still quite loud. It's not like you are "silent running". The first time I shot my .22 suppressor it was with high velocity ammo. I thought it was "broken". Took me about 5 mins to realize I needed to switch to std velocity ammo--problem solved.

I do agree, however, that if you are going to use one, "purpose built" usually is going to produce a better result. Kind of like using a Leatherman for any real "work". You might be able to, but usually not super efficiently. I have seen some modular units of late that look to be interesting, but more for configuring the can than using across a wide range of calibers.

Last edited: