The 1 Thing You Learned- Suppressors

I "think" the effect, even on heavy mags, as a recoil reduction device is minimal to non-existent. Surely, if anyone could prove a real reduction in recoil, then they'd be marketed as "sliced bread".

A quality brake is great for the range and repeated shooting. I know some of the more modern designs claim to have vastly improved the deafening report of early models, but I just don't find a need for them, personally, in the field. Maybe if I was long range varmint hunting and wanted to try and watch my bullet, but I don't.

I'm not even sure "fad" is the right word--I guess time will tell. For sure, they are here for now. Never thought I would see them take hold on hunting rifles (particularly bolt guns) like they have. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I just don't see a real need for it, myself.

I also don't really "get" the hunting use from another perspective. Anyone that has a can knows the absolute best effect is with subsonic ammo. A 9mm can with some correctly loaded subsonic ammo can be shockingly quiet. Most (if not all) truly big game hunting rounds fired from a bolt rifle will be nowhere near subsonic nor should they be for bullet performance. The sound of the bullet crack is still quite loud. It's not like you are "silent running". The first time I shot my .22 suppressor it was with high velocity ammo. I thought it was "broken". Took me about 5 mins to realize I needed to switch to std velocity ammo--problem solved.

I do agree, however, that if you are going to use one, "purpose built" usually is going to produce a better result. Kind of like using a Leatherman for any real "work". You might be able to, but usually not super efficiently. I have seen some modular units of late that look to be interesting, but more for configuring the can than using across a wide range of calibers.
Here is Backfire over on youtube where he shows recoil reduction of suppressor vs muzzle brake. It's not as good, but it sure beats a bare muzzle or the noise of a muzzle brake IMO.

does your modular suppressor just not work as well on the smaller calibers, or was it too big and unwieldy?
I would say both. First, my modular suppressor is a griffen optimus, which I have found to be well made all around and their customer service is first rate. But, its an expensive can to begin with, and to get it able to jump from every gun you own will require buying a lot of additionl accessories beyond what comes with can; i.e. more money.

You can buy two (maybe three) cans that are dedicated for purpose for the price of a single well made modular can.

Subscribed, as I am looking to acquire both a rifle and a pistol suppressor and trying to learn. I am tempted at the 30cal rifle and being able to swap it from 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 threaded barrels to cover all of my centerfire needs, but I don't want it to be a pain in the butt.

I have a couple of dedicated form 1 rimfire suppressors, they are the cat's meow, except come time to clean them... lol

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I "think" the effect, even on heavy mags, as a recoil reduction device is minimal to non-existent. Surely, if anyone could prove a real reduction in recoil, then they'd be marketed as "sliced bread".

A quality brake is great for the range and repeated shooting. I know some of the more modern designs claim to have vastly improved the deafening report of early models, but I just don't find a need for them, personally, in the field. Maybe if I was long range varmint hunting and wanted to try and watch my bullet, but I don't.

I'm not even sure "fad" is the right word--I guess time will tell. For sure, they are here for now. Never thought I would see them take hold on hunting rifles (particularly bolt guns) like they have. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I just don't see a real need for it, myself.

I also don't really "get" the hunting use from another perspective. Anyone that has a can knows the absolute best effect is with subsonic ammo. A 9mm can with some correctly loaded subsonic ammo can be shockingly quiet. Most (if not all) truly big game hunting rounds fired from a bolt rifle will be nowhere near subsonic nor should they be for bullet performance. The sound of the bullet crack is still quite loud. It's not like you are "silent running". The first time I shot my .22 suppressor it was with high velocity ammo. I thought it was "broken". Took me about 5 mins to realize I needed to switch to std velocity ammo--problem solved.

I do agree, however, that if you are going to use one, "purpose built" usually is going to produce a better result. Kind of like using a Leatherman for any real "work". You might be able to, but usually not super efficiently. I have seen some modular units of late that look to be interesting, but more for configuring the can than using across a wide range of calibers.
I wonder if suppressors with a replaceable endcap to customize for caliber is better than one that you use for multiple calibers (like shooting a 6.5 through a 30 cal can)? An example is the Gunwerks suppressor

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is Backfire over on youtube where he shows recoil reduction of suppressor vs muzzle brake. It's not as good, but it sure beats a bare muzzle or the noise of a muzzle brake IMO.
Jim from Backfire sure seemed to be excited about the suppressors! Make me curious about a 22" 28 Nosler with a suppressor...

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would say both. First, my modular suppressor is a griffen optimus, which I have found to be well made all around and their customer service is first rate. But, its an expensive can to begin with, and to get it able to jump from every gun you own will require buying a lot of additionl accessories beyond what comes with can; i.e. more money.

You can buy two (maybe three) cans that are dedicated for purpose for the price of a single well made modular can.
We always think we won't mind jockeying gear around from rifle to rifle, but when I reach in the safe I always wish I didn't have to do it

I wonder if suppressors with a replaceable endcap to customize for caliber is better than one that you use for multiple calibers (like shooting a 6.5 through a 30 cal can)? An example is the Gunwerks suppressor
I am leaning hard towards a Dead Air Nomad Ti for calibers from 300wsm down to 223 and including 6.5. They offer endcaps as well for the smaller than 30 cal offerings. How much of a difference, I don't know for sure, but it looks like a purpose designed brake that integrates with a given suppressor will yield better results than just the endcap in reducing the sound signature.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am leaning hard towards a Dead Air Nomad Ti for calibers from 300wsm down to 223 and including 6.5. They offer endcaps as well for the smaller than 30 cal offerings. How much of a difference, I don't know for sure, but it looks like a purpose designed brake that integrates with a given suppressor will yield better results than just the endcap in reducing the sound signature.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, this is terrific info! Does anyone else have any first hand experiences with replacing end caps for different calibers on suppressors?

I use a brake on my 300wsm and it is great from my perspective (the shooter), but God help you if you are adjacent to me on the firing line shooting prone (or any other position within 6' or so to either side of me).

A buddy and I had a blast (literally!) one day shooting that and his 6.5cm with a hellfire brake shooting prone next to each other. The cut grass was flying! That said, all of the suppressed shooters were over on the other end of the line, shooting politely. I think the muzzle blast reduction is as important to many as the recoil reduction when it comes to being relaxed behind the weapon.

Last edited:
Dead Air also has an e-brake that can be fitted to the end of their suppressors that is supposed to reduce felt recoil quite a bit more, but I have no experience with them. They also add an inch or two to the end of the suppressor and are then fitted with the end cap appropriate to the caliber being used.

We always think we won't mind jockeying gear around from rifle to rifle, but when I reach in the safe I always wish I didn't have to do it

Yeah, I hear that. My optimus has basically become my dedicated 9mm can as I don't want to take it apart to go on other guns that my dedicated cans can easily jump to. You know what is weird when I think about it though? I am glad I have it. If for some reason I needed to suppress some random gun that came into my life and I couldn't wait six months for a tax stamp, I could do it. Not sure what that scenerio would be, but maybe I win a raffle and need to suppress a .300 win mag for a brown bear hunt that is in 6-weeks.

I think the best description though for the optimus I have read is jack of all trades, but master of none.

shortyrut

FNG
I have a nomad 30 and a nomad ti. I bought the 6.5 end cap for use with 243 and grendel. $65 for little to no difference over the 30 cal cap and now I have to remember which can has which cap. ti is for longer barreled hunting rigs, 30 is for semi auto shorter barrels.

Cwillimon

FNG
For those of you with the Nomad Ti would you say there is any real world increase from the omega 300 I currently have?