The $1500 challenge

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Good job Luke. I want some ammo and something to cut up an animal with. What would you need to add for the clothes you didn't include?

2rocky: great effort. Don't need to include food, but I do want some clothes. The buddy works in an office and no suitable clothes to wear.

Just because these guys have taken a pretty good shot at the challenge doesn't mean no one else should. I'd like to see an archery and muzzleloader setup, please.

ckleeves

WKR
Ok I'll take a shot at this. I didn't bargain hunt to much,this was a quick search.

Asolo Sasslong 129.97
Kelly Light year 20 91.17
Marmot Ajax 2 person 111.64
Big agnes dual core 63.02
Prius eta solo 48.72
Rei mars 80 199.00
Msr hyper flow 65.00

Total 708.52

A quick search on AT shows you can pick up a used Hoyt Alphamax for about 350.00 so now were at 1,058.52

Beman mfx from camofire for less than 70.00 a dozen
Try glo 6 pin 44.95
Tru glo quiver 16.99
Whisker biscuit 17.99
6 pack of muzzys 24.99
Sog aura gut hook knife 22.72

Total 1,256.16 this leaves 243.84 for clothing which I think can be done pretty easily. No binos or rangefinder, but at least your in the woods!

Sunspot

WKR
You can save a ton of money using the classifieds, ebay or craigslist. You just can't be in a hurry.

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
You can save a ton of money using the classifieds, ebay or craigslist. You just can't be in a hurry.

Absolutely agree. The keys are knowing what you are looking for and time. As ckleeves pointed out, AT and other sites are brimming with opportunities.

ckleeves

WKR
Ok I'll take a shot at this. I didn't bargain hunt to much,this was a quick search.

Asolo Sasslong 129.97
Kelly Light year 20 91.17
Marmot Ajax 2 person 111.64
Big agnes dual core 63.02
Prius eta solo 48.72
Rei mars 80 199.00
Msr hyper flow 65.00

Total 708.52

A quick search on AT shows you can pick up a used Hoyt Alphamax for about 350.00 so now were at 1,058.52

Beman mfx from camofire for less than 70.00 a dozen
Try glo 6 pin 44.95
Tru glo quiver 16.99
Whisker biscuit 17.99
6 pack of muzzys 24.99
Sog aura gut hook knife 22.72

Total 1,256.16 this leaves 243.84 for clothing which I think can be done pretty easily. No binos or rangefinder, but at least your in the woods!

I added clothing
Camo T shirt 12.67
Smart wool socks 8.29
Rocky silent hunter pants 32.47
Browning hells canyon jacket 51.97
Total 1361.56 add a Simmons rangefinder for 89.99 for a total of 1451.55. This leaves 48.45 for game bags, stove fuel, etc.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Good job Luke. I want some ammo and something to cut up an animal with. What would you need to add for the clothes you didn't include?

2rocky: great effort. Don't need to include food, but I do want some clothes. The buddy works in an office and no suitable clothes to wear.

Just because these guys have taken a pretty good shot at the challenge doesn't mean no one else should. I'd like to see an archery and muzzleloader setup, please.

No sweat...this setup will be around 50 or so pounds...going up to 80 pounds for a MUCH cheaper bag...el cheapo blue walmart sleeping pad.....less boots...and you could buy some ammo, knife, and merino top no biggie at all....

Jon Boy

WKR
Heres a video I did on all of my gear, pretty sure its close to the budget. I have switched some stuff up recently but this set up worked for a very long time.
[video=youtube_share;RAxKDziXulM]http://youtu.be/RAxKDziXulM[/video]

And the thread I started on it http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...try-On-A-Budget&highlight=Back+Country+BUdget

I used to run a lot cheaper set up..

Shelter- Blue 8x8 tarp and 550 cord.

Pad- the cheap blue yoga mats at walmart for $10

Binos- Barskas

Stove- an open fire

Cook set- Home made Heinikeg pot

Clothing- a mix of fleece and cotton camo stuff

I survived just fine in the early season running that as well.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
This is a tough one. I realize everybody has their price point, but in my experience I know I've wasted more money than I've saved buying a lot of things (packs, boots, sleeping bags). If you're not going to use it much or for a long time going inexpensive isn't a bad idea. On the big ticket items I'd look for value before price if you're in it for the long term or hard on gear.

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
For archery you would have to get used bow even entry level would eat 30% of your budget

That's part of this exercise. I know I don't even blink anymore spending half or more of the total budget on a few items that are "upgrades" if you would describe them. Frankly, those of us who have been here for a while have almost become desensitized to the cost when we discuss packs, bows, rain gear, boots, etc. Do we want to give the impression to someone fairly new on the block that the only way to be successful is to use pack K, boots X, Gun T, optics S, etc.? I want people to understand that other options exist. I remember watching Jon Boy's video when it came out. He had the limited budget and made a workable setup for him. Anyone else willing to take a shot at fame and glory???

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
This is a tough one. I realize everybody has their price point, but in my experience I know I've wasted more money than I've saved buying a lot of things (packs, boots, sleeping bags). If you're not going to use it much or for a long time going inexpensive isn't a bad idea. On the big ticket items I'd look for value before price if you're in it for the long term or hard on gear.

I agree 100%. The exercise here is about getting a "buddy" in the field with a low budget and a desire to do it. Yeah, he may wish for something different or better, but he just needs to get out with a reasonable amount of creature comforts. We know from experience that we are better off in the long run spending the money wisely the first time, but others don't have the luxury of the cash flow to go with the best the first time.

Last edited:

Jon Boy

WKR
I agree its always best to buy once and cry once! Unfortunately it would have kept me out of the back country for years, and thats just time and experiences I wont get back. Ive been running my set up going on 3 seasons now, and ive yet to upgrade most anything. I will say I recently have upgraded the pack for the time being, Ethan S. was kind enough to let me borrow his kuiu icon 6000 for my upcoming adventure :) Other than that I will be running my set up for a straight three months this fall, or until all of my tags are filled. I feel fairly confident in all of it.

As far as a bow set up, I bought a mission maniac new in 2010 for 550 with a biscuit and 5 pin truglo. I killed a Blacktail doe at 65 yards last year with the same set up. There all good shooting bows these days, I shoot a lot and it feels like an extension of my body after all these years. Kind of funny to see the look on guys faces when they buy a brand new hoyt and im smoking them at that range with my beat to hell mission haha Its all about practice and arrow selection. you can get a way nicer bow on archerytalk for the same price too.

dotman

WKR
This thread would make a good article. I think many are surprised that you don't get a lot of gear for less then an outfitted hunt, if you are only going to do it once or twice it probably is cheaper to get and outfitter and do a drop camp.

Used Bowtech Guardian (minus arrows) archery talk $350

Hiking boots (whatever fits) $130 (I know that's generic, but I haven't paid more than that for any of mine so I'm going with it)
(480)

REI XT85 $250
(730)
The North Face Aleutian closeout $75
(805)
BAIAC used classifieds $40
(845)
Coleman canister stove and SS mug $32
(877)
Plastic long handle spoon REI $1
(878)
Potable Aqua Iodine and Taste-Neutralizer Tablets $11.00
(889)
TPU Hydration Bladder $16
(905)
Mountain House Dinners x5 @ $7 $35
(940)
Eureka Spitfire 2 tent $111
(1051)
Dozen Stalker Extreme arrows w/6 Muzzy broadheads $134
(1185)
Army Surplus clothing $150
(1335)

Should still have a bit left which will allow for price fluctuations or small upgrades, maybe a couple of non essential comfort items to help with their first time.

Forgot to mention anything in the kill and first aid kit, but those shouldn't total more than $30 or so.

Besides if this guy is my buddy he is probably going to be borrowing half of my stuff for free!

ams

WKR
Making an accurate list is giving me a headache.... but major items
Dana Design Terraplane $ 140, bought on craigslist in great shape
Montrail Torre GTX Boots $20.00, bought at Ross and came with green super feet insoles (I bought two pair and he bought 2 pair)
Savage 110F 7mm blind mag with installed muzzle brake and leaupold rings $300 (private party deal)
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40, $100 used but great shape (private party)
Bushnell Ultra Legend HD 10x42's $250, Amazon and comes with a bino harness
Mountainsmith LT shelter $100, Overstock
Helinox hiking poles $35, Steep and Cheep
Walmart sleeping pad, $13
Walmart/Ozark trails 32 (40?) down mummy bag $70.00
USGI poncho liner $20.00, Army surplus store

Not a complete list but some of the big items. No cooking items as he is using MRE's. Still need to add a kill kit and a compass. I did have to break it to him that the sleeping bag he bought would probably only be a summer bag, hence the poncho liner. Other than that, we scraped together a first aid kit of mainly duct tape, gauze, and drugs with a few things like chapstick. A mesh filter for an aluminum bottle and iodine tabs. Went with aluminum rather than a Nalgene in case he needed to heat up water he could do so with a fire. I've given him a few items like an older water bladder and some camo. Cold have saved the money of the rifle and scope if he would've just borrowed one of mine or his grandpa's 30-30 which is friggin bad ass anyway.

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm enjoying the creativity and resourcefulness of this group. Obviously goes to show that there are options if you don't have the bankroll to go "first class". I can't believe no one has tried a muzzleloader hunt yet. Might have to bend the rules as I'm guessing not a lot of high country mule deer seasons for a muzzy hunt. I'm looking at this like what Jon Boy has done and created a workable setup and upgrading when funds allow and need arises. Next?

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
This thread would make a good article. I think many are surprised that you don't get a lot of gear for less then an outfitted hunt, if you are only going to do it once or twice it probably is cheaper to get and outfitter and do a drop camp.

Good point. If you were to buy top-end Euro optics (binos and spotter) you will have spent north of 4 grand already, let alone a camp set up, etc. It's not hard to spend well over the budget here even on a guided hunt. For example, its always fun to go into the Mitchell SD Cabelas store during pheasant season and see the sheer amount of money that newbies are spending on gear to shoot pheasants for a few days. Just amazing.

Shrek

WKR
I was at the local gun show this weekend and you could have bought a half dozen bolt rifles in 30-06 or 270. Beat up or less popular models. Saw a '06 Winchester m70 with the controlled round push feed hybrid they made for a while. It looked clean and that action is a pretty good one . I'm sure I could have walked out with less than $250 in it and maybe as low as $210.

Rucker61

WKR
From Sports Authority close out sale last Black Friday

Rifle with Scope and Bipod Savage Model 11 .300 Win Mag Scope Package $299

From last Sierra Trading Post purchase
Underwear Icebreaker $18
Base layer bottoms Redram $29
Base layer top Redram $29
Headlamp BD Spot $20
Eating utensil Spork $2

Current Cabelas costs
Shirt Cabelas Silent Weave Mossy Oak Brush $26