The 300 Project

Msowa

Lil-Rokslider
Sowastrong Industries is my side gig, FFL 01/SOT Class3, factory trained at NIC Industries in cerakote application, and fully vetted by trial and error! lol

Anyway, here's a quick run down on this project.

The "shattered glass" pattern(can you say trademark?) Avery wanted wasn't a problem, but the direction he wanted it to go was a bit wide open...put some monster green in it he says. Baked the stock at a very low temp which affects the sheen of the final product so afterwards i applied a matte finish clear coat as well which ultimately helps the subdued colors pop.

The bbl action was prepped, cooked off residual oils, taped off and blasted with 100grit AO. I decided to coat the bolt body and inside of the action with Microslick( C-series, air cure) to promote corrosion resistance and limit any clearance issues standard H-series(oven cure) cerakote may cause; the MS is half as thick as the H-series cerakote but only comes in one color, a blue grey color. Cool thing about the Microslick is even as parts burnish/wear against each other the MS is well imbedded in the metal and still offers protection and lubricity.

The MS needs 5 days to fully cure but can be handled without issue within a day. Masked off the inside of the action, the ms coated part, as well as the bolt body, leaving the handle exposed for the Graphite black i sprayed next. Bake time was increased due to a lower bake temperature.

I get questions about cooking certain types of products like scopes or stocks etc...I'm not going to steer any DIYer's down a bad path, call the manufactures and ask what temps they use for curing their product. And also the ability of your oven to circulate and maintain consistent temperatures is hugely important to the appearance as well as the integrity of your project. please ask if you have any Cerakote questions or send me a PM, if i dont know the answer i've got a great network of industry folks that do.

The LONE PEAK action coupled with the Christensen Arms bbl and Ti brake weighed next to nothing, gonna be an awesome stick. Matt

Retterath

WKR
hey ryan i know you stated that you went with the 300 rum because of less recoil than the 338 in that lighter weight build, my question is that i have been thinking about for 6 months now on what caliber to go with with a very similar build almost same components, do you think that a 338 norma improved would be too much gun for the same components you have? i know it alway depends on who is shooting and how each person can handle the recoil. i haven't ordered any parts cause I'm stuck on what caliber. 338 or 300

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
hey ryan i know you stated that you went with the 300 rum because of less recoil than the 338 in that lighter weight build, my question is that i have been thinking about for 6 months now on what caliber to go with with a very similar build almost same components, do you think that a 338 norma improved would be too much gun for the same components you have? i know it alway depends on who is shooting and how each person can handle the recoil. i haven't ordered any parts cause I'm stuck on what caliber. 338 or 300

I have a 8.5 pounds 338 Norma and with 300 grain bullets, shes a handful. The one thing about going light with these calibers is you must have consistent backwards pressure/shoulder pressure of your going to have shitty groups or inconsistent impacts at long range. This becomes magnified by not so perfect shooting positions or shitty form. So for me the 300 RUM is about as much as I can handle in a long range rifle under 9 pounds.

Retterath

WKR
I have a 8.5 pounds 338 Norma and with 300 grain bullets, shes a handful. The one thing about going light with these calibers is you must have consistent backwards pressure/shoulder pressure of your going to have shitty groups or inconsistent impacts at long range. This becomes magnified by not so perfect shooting positions or shitty form. So for me the 300 RUM is about as much as I can handle in a long range rifle under 9 pounds.

That makes good sense. i had a 300 rum and sold it but wish i didn't but was having a tough time finding brass so that was my final decision on selling it. I love the rum ballistic but the brass availability is shying me away. what did u get for velocity out of your 338 norma with the 300's?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
That makes good sense. i had a 300 rum and sold it but wish i didn't but was having a tough time finding brass so that was my final decision on selling it. I love the rum ballistic but the brass availability is shying me away. what did u get for velocity out of your 338 norma with the 300's?

It was around 2720 with a 26 inch barrel.

On the brass,
There's always the 30 Lapua improved. I'm really trying hard not to build one:)

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It's back together and dead
sexy!
b3abf13b9ca1c4ed5db4f60303bdb3b4.jpg

3c8570255c9d4f87a34fc9e559401d06.jpg

fe9cbc248999b98164cb53a227667ffb.jpg

9e2dcdaaf88e1febe73a38e65d53d7cb.jpg

f110f7d089a1dba3f5238a93da1d5d3a.jpg

Haha^ that's what I named my rifle, it's a 338 Lapua AI thats dipped in mandrake with a 30" barrel and 5 port slab brake that weights 16lbs on the button. I even got a little hulk golf cover to put over the barrel when I'm in the field

Question about scope base and ring choice. I've always thought the actions that have the integral scope base machined into the action such as the Fusion action were pretty cool. What would make one choose this over the one piece scope base and rings such as those used in this build?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
9a7854c637a9c3f810977f5db2b34a63.jpg

She is very light for a full house 300 Rum.
e6704f56e89dee61f78a716a347b59f7.jpg

This was my first 6 shots with 99 grains of RL33 with 230 bergers at 3090 FPS, 5 thou off with an ES of 11 over a 10 shot test. Top left was my first group. Did a scope adjustment and shot the bottom right.

Last edited:
OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Question about scope base and ring choice. I've always thought the actions that have the integral scope base machined into the action such as the Fusion action were pretty cool. What would make one choose this over the one piece scope base and rings such as those used in this build?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevin, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I have an integrated rail on my Ti Christensen Arms action that is awesome.
9382e2c39b4ead7f235af2055dcec1b7.jpg

Last edited:

rutfest

FNG
Ryan, have you ever tried March optics? They look great for a long range lightweight rig.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk