The 4th! Making BOOMs in the Rock Pit

I have been trying to get out to do some shooting for a week now but... my side job kept getting in the way. Today being the 4th of July seemed to be the natural day to go makes some noise. This mornings temps here in Moscow was in the 50's but suppose to get up to the mid 80's this afternoon.

There is a somewhat of a problem shooting in the Rock Pit this time of year without any cloud cover... THE SUN - it is shining bright in the pit but the rock wall in in the deep shade early in the morning making the targets more difficult to see with the naked eye. I chose to shoot the Western ULite so I could work to better my abilities shooting open sights. Shooting with a scope at birds @ 100 yards is not the challenge it use to be.

This picture shows the deep shade at the wall - you would think the 7 Orange birds would show up well - but it is somewhat difficult

Green-Fiber.jpg

After shooting 4 birds, I tried to get a picture from the bench with the camera zoomed in. Even with the camera you can see how washed out the picture is.

100-yd-birds.jpg

Notice the old washed out broken bird chip on the left side of the pic. - I could barely make this out when sighting through the peep - but I decided this would be my last shot of day.

This picture represents a collection of pictures of this morning's fun shoot.

7-4-Shoot-Composit.jpg

By the end of the shoot I was reminded why I did not like shooting in the Rock Pit in the summer.... HEAT - the basalt rock in the pit retains heat really well from the previous day and heats very rapidly in the morning summer sun!

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
We have been so busy getting fire wood and other stuff that I haven't had time to go do any shooting ,My elk season starts August 1 ,, Here I'm falling behind again , On the up side we are seeing elk everyday and the calves don't have spots like they normally do ,well most of them .