The actual "highest grizzly density in the lower 48"

Someone should bring in various data sources to compile for analysis.

One data point I would suggest is something analyzing the amount of new underwear sold at sporting goods stores throughout the West during hunting season, cross referencing with Bear populations it could be an overlooked piece of data.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 That's data!!!

Legend

WKR
@MTSasquatch, if I gave you an airplane and a lawn dart and told you I’d give you a trillion zillion dollars if you flew at night on Sept 15 and randomly dropped a lawn dart at 30,000 feet and into a bear’s ass, where you winging that thing?
Without question you would throw that dart between benchmark road near Augusta and Glacier. Might not hit one today. But at a 3% growth rate we are getting pretty saturated with bears. Every year someone gets a photo of a dozen bears roaming together on the front.

Without question you would throw that dart between benchmark road near Augusta and Glacier. Might not hit one today. But at a 3% growth rate we are getting pretty saturated with bears. Every year someone gets a photo of a dozen bears roaming together on the front.
So Nilan Reservoir all the way up to Babb and the Canadian border, all along that east side? Is that the area? I know that area but I've never known exactly where to look for them. I've fly-fished on the LF Ranch, years ago, all throughout that area south and southwest of Nilan and benchmark; I was always a bit concerned. I like being there but I'm always wondering if one is "casing" me.

Legend

WKR
So Nilan Reservoir all the way up to Babb and the Canadian border, all along that east side? Is that the area? I know that area but I've never known exactly where to look for them. I've fly-fished on the LF Ranch, years ago, all throughout that area south and southwest of Nilan and benchmark; I was always a bit concerned. I like being there but I'm always wondering if one is "casing" me.
I know the LF ranch fairly well. I bet the fishing is good....but i guarantee there is a couple gbears in those willows today.

Some drainages have more than others but they aren't hard to find anywhere you go. When I hunt up hear i leave the bear spray at home.....and bring the Shockwave 12 gauge.

I know the LF ranch fairly well. I bet the fishing is good....but i guarantee there is a couple gbears in those willows today.

Some drainages have more than others but they aren't hard to find anywhere you go. When I hunt up hear i leave the bear spray at home.....and bring the Shockwave 12 gauge.
Yes, that's some fantastic fly-fishing. I love it there but it's always a concern; probably getting worse. It was sold a couple of years ago; new owner now; hopefully, I could still get permission if I would want to go back again. I used to spend a lot of time there. I've followed a lot of those streams all the way west to the forest boundaries... major walking.

I agree, as I'm not a believer in bear spray; if a bear wants to attack, a little "spray" isn't going to cut it. I can just imagine a bear watching me fight a trout and just as I begin to net that fish, he charges. Those bears certainly know what a guy is doing in the middle of a stream with a stick in his hand; they know there is going to be food on the end of that line. Today, I'd take the 12 gauge also with a back-up hanging on my side. I'd probably load the 12 gauge every other one with 4 shot and slugs... maybe. Maybe just load it with slugs. 10 gauge wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Thanks for the response. I love that area.

grfox92

WKR
East entrance of Yellowstone to Cody and north in the Beartooths to Montana. This area includes the Thorofare.

I can tell by talking with people here on Rokslide that what I call grizzly country and what the majority of Western Hunters call grizzly country are 2 different things.

Most guys talk about grizzly country as in there is a chance of running into a bear. Around here you are going to see bears every day if not every other day.

In 10 days of hunting in 2018 we saw and had run ins with 6 bears, all of them under 100 yards. My friend was bluff charged within 25 yards and I had one face to face at 40, but he barked and ran off.

Heading out for 3 days in the morning, I'll report back on what we see.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

East entrance of Yellowstone to Cody and north in the Beartooths to Montana. This area includes the Thorofare.

I can tell by talking with people here on Rokslide that what I call grizzly country and what the majority of Western Hunters call grizzly country are 2 different things.

Most guys talk about grizzly country as in there is a chance of running into a bear. Around here you are going to see bears every day if not every other day.

In 10 days of hunting in 2018 we saw and had run ins with 6 bears, all of them under 100 yards. My friend was bluff charged within 25 yards and I had one face to face at 40, but he barked and ran off.

Heading out for 3 days in the morning, I'll report back on what we see.

Yes, that's a "real world" grizzly area. Few understand. Go talk to the ranchers in that area; it's a major issue.

Anybody hunting/traveling along 212, southwest of Red Lodge, MT., into Wyoming, all the way around the loop to the Cooke City area, back into Wyoming, all the way over to Gardiner, MT. and into Tom Miner Basin... head up and eyes moving; that is all griz country... many! North of that area too though, into Montana, in the high-country.

Thomas11

WKR
The Gravellies certainly can be full of them. A couple of years ago there were some dead cows (bovine) and the griz just piled in. I believe there was a press release that said there were 28 feeding on those dead cows.
I think that was last yr or yr before? They had 3or 4 attacks in archery season there during that time

KNOPHISH

FNG
Seems the last few years the Madison and Gravelly ranges have had numerous grizz attacks. Those are the news makers so I’m sure more encounters. I’ve hunted these areas for years but no sightings yet, only wolves.

grfox92

WKR
Yes, that's a "real world" grizzly area. Few understand. Go talk to the ranchers in that area; it's a major issue.

Anybody hunting/traveling along 212, southwest of Red Lodge, MT., into Wyoming, all the way around the loop to the Cooke City area, back into Wyoming, all the way over to Gardiner, MT. and into Tom Miner Basin... head up and eyes moving; that is all griz country... many! North of that area too though, into Montana, in the high-country.
Hunted from sun up Friday morning until noon Saturday. Hiked a total of 20 miles according to GPS tracking and saw 4 grizzly bears and dozens of tracks all over that 20 miles.

Hunted from sun up Friday morning until noon Saturday. Hiked a total of 20 miles according to GPS tracking and saw 4 grizzly bears and dozens of tracks all over that 20 miles.

Yes sir. You may have seen only 4 but there were 10 more (perhaps more) that heard you, smelled you, were watching you, and possibly casing you… guaranteed.

In the past, in a different thread, somebody mentioned something about taking dogs along in grizzly areas; I’d have to scroll back through to see who that was. That would not be something that I would do. Those dogs could provoke an attack and they will almost certainly attract even more attention from grizzlies. A dog would have zero chance fighting a grizzly… zero… none! Furthermore, when the grizzly is done killing the dog, that same grizzly would likely attack the human.

Keep a close eye on the bear shit; always check how fresh it is. That will give you some idea as to at least that one’s general proximity. That certainly isn’t the only one but that’s one that you have some proof of. Remember, head up, eyes moving, and ears on high alert. When I’m in the woods (especially in heavily covered/timbered grizzly country) I walk with the cautiousness of a deer or an elk… few steps, then stop and listen.

If you’re going out again later today (Sunday) check back in, if you’re in the mood and if you have time. There are plenty of people who are watching this thread who have no idea how to act in grizzly country. Perhaps they can glean a few bits of info that they think is useful.

Jon Boy

WKR
I've hunted and backpacked nearly every where mentioned in this thread. The bob, gravellies, madisons, beartooths, AB, tom miner, gardiner basin, thorofare etc Hands down Wyoming in the south fork and north fork of the Shoshone drainages was some of the most unnerving griz country I've been in. My lord. It was mentioned earlier in this thread. There's 'bear country' then there's REAL bear country.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Dos Perros
I've hunted and backpacked nearly every where mentioned in this thread. The bob, gravellies, madisons, beartooths, AB, tom miner, gardiner basin, thorofare etc Hands down Wyoming in the south fork and north fork of the Shoshone drainages was some of the most unnerving griz country I've been in. My lord. It was mentioned earlier in this thread. There's 'bear country' then there's REAL bear country.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We saw 8 bears in the 4 days in there, had one close encounter, had a 9th we never saw waiting for us to leave an elk carcass (some sheep hunters tipped us off), and that bear took a bag of meat.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Great thread Dos-thanks to all for sharing, interesting to hear boots on the ground intel

grfox92

WKR
Yes sir. You may have seen only 4 but there were 10 more (perhaps more) that heard you, smelled you, were watching you, and possibly casing you… guaranteed.

In the past, in a different thread, somebody mentioned something about taking dogs along in grizzly areas; I’d have to scroll back through to see who that was. That would not be something that I would do. Those dogs could provoke an attack and they will almost certainly attract even more attention from grizzlies. A dog would have zero chance fighting a grizzly… zero… none! Furthermore, when the grizzly is done killing the dog, that same grizzly would likely attack the human.

Keep a close eye on the bear shit; always check how fresh it is. That will give you some idea as to at least that one’s general proximity. That certainly isn’t the only one but that’s one that you have some proof of. Remember, head up, eyes moving, and ears on high alert. When I’m in the woods (especially in heavily covered/timbered grizzly country) I walk with the cautiousness of a deer or an elk… few steps, then stop and listen.

If you’re going out again later today (Sunday) check back in, if you’re in the mood and if you have time. There are plenty of people who are watching this thread who have no idea how to act in grizzly country. Perhaps they can glean a few bits of info that they think is useful.
Yes we were actually amazed that we didn't SEE anymore bears on the way out. There were plenty more around.

I backed out of the same area last weekend hunting by myself, I kept coming across berry filled bear shit and would push my boot into it. It was all dry. Then I walked up on one that wasn't dry but was cold. Then I came up on one that looked wet, I stick my hand on top of it and it was warm to the touch. I immediately backed out of there and went to a different trail head.