The actual "highest grizzly density in the lower 48"

Yes we were actually amazed that we didn't SEE anymore bears on the way out. There were plenty more around.

I backed out of the same area last weekend hunting by myself, I kept coming across berry filled bear shit and would push my boot into it. It was all dry. Then I walked up on one that wasn't dry but was cold. Then I came up on one that looked wet, I stick my hand on top of it and it was warm to the touch. I immediately backed out of there and went to a different trail head.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Usually, I’m not terribly concerned about the juveniles… still concerned but not terribly. I’m more concerned with the mature ones… the ones that are 8’ tall when they stand up. Those are the ones that have been to “school” and have learned to associate those things (humans) walking around in an upright position on two legs, with food. They know that humans translate to food.

I’ve come across plenty of aggressive grizzlies that have wanted to “take a taste” of me. When they charge and stop 3’ from my body, they are not trying to make friends. If I would have ever shown the slightest fear, I would have been dead 25 years ago.

Always be alert for the ones that are following you; they will follow directly on a path behind a person or follow in the cover, behind and to the side.

In grizzly country, they are always there.

slick

WKR
Just tip toe 3 super sneaky steps and look around. Only way to hunt in Gbear Country. It was said earlier and that hold true. Only cover 2mi a day in those parts of the world.

I think the headwaters of the Green in WY are right up there as well.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Just out of curiosity, what are the grizz densities in Alaska ? Just for giggles.

Laramie

WKR
Just out of curiosity, what are the grizz densities in Alaska ? Just for giggles.
Approximately 1 bear per 22 square miles according to the biologists SWAG (scientific wild a$$ guess). The same biologists claim there are only about 1700 or so in the lower 48.

Approximately 1 bear per 22 square miles according to the biologists SWAG (scientific wild a$$ guess). The same biologists claim there are only about 1700 or so in the lower 48.
Way low. I realize that the biologists are the "SWAG" biologists but... way low.

Am I carrying a S&W 500 Magnum loaded with 700-grain bullets, on one side, and a Desert Eagle 50 cal, on my chest, in grizzly country, because there is one bear per 22 square miles?

I think that’s called paranoia
That's called, I'm not going to "get dead" because of a grizzly attack; that's what that's called! Contrary to some people's perception, they are not humans' friends. The masses may be ignorant and complacent but reality would settle in right quick as they watch a charging grizzly! I've lived it... more than once!

It's always the same story, in many areas of life... it can't happen until it does, and then, of course... the long horse faces, and... how can I capitalize on this...? Who can pay me/us for this? We did everything humanly possible; certainly, there is a way that "we the family" can collect because of Joey's ignorance...

slick

WKR
Certainly don’t think bears are the same as on your child’s bed. I’m glad you’ve found your choice of protection in the woods that gives you peace of mind when out and about. How do you decide which one to use?

I live in the Shoshone National Forest basically. The biologist here claim 900+ grizzly in the area. They've also told me those "official" numbers are 3-5x too short. I'd believe it. Too many verifiable encounters to deny there are more than 1700 grizzly in the lower 48.

I hunt here all the time by myself. Maybe stupid, probably stupid. I take zero precautions short of bear spray and pistol. Maybe stupid, probably stupid. I'm not sure there is anything we can do with bear density increasing and you know, them being gigantic and us being frail humans.

3forks

WKR
A couple of years ago, the National news networks were reporting about great white sharks frequenting the waters off popular east coast beaches. Those stories were just about one or two sharks.

I’ve yet to hear the National news networks run a story on how many grizzly bears are in some areas of the west, and how many people are in danger by recreating in those same areas.

I guess it’s a matter of perspective, but would you go swimming around one of those seal rookeries where they tow a seal decoy behind a boat and film those great whites jumping 15 feet out the water to attack it?

Us archery hunters will dress in camo, and make elk sounds in areas with super high densities of grizzlies. I don’t think it’s too far of stretch to compare that to towing that seal decoy through areas where they know great whites frequent.

I think most people wouldn‘t dip a toe in the water if you told them great white sharks were present. Those same people would probably think we’re insane for trying to call in elk in areas with one grizzly present - let alone the densities we’re taking about.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can add the Scapegoat Wilderness area and Blackfoot drainage to the list and might as well throw in very northwest Montana as well (the Cabinets and Whitefish Range).

A buddy of mine said he almost fell out of his chair when the bear biologist told him the numbers from collared bears on the Blackfoot proper. This is NOT wilderness area, but a very popular area for water (and other) recreation. There’s already been one fatality, surprising there hasn’t been more.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is it that OP asks for sources, we get 40 comments and, what, 5 total links posted?

well let's see, "area" is a pretty tough one to define- is it a state? is part of a state? is it a recovery area? is it a drainage?

if it's recovery area, the answer has already been posted and linked- it's the Northern Continental Ecosystem that only occupies a mere 9000 square miles (including Glacier National Park)

if the question of density in an area that is smaller than 9000 square miles, then I think there have been several posts addressing that

did you have something to add to the discussion?

Well I’m adding as much value as 35 other comments in here, but I think you misunderstood my point.

If OP wanted anecdotal information, they wouldn’t have asked for sources/references. Typically, if I’m providing information to someone who asks for a source, I provide a source.

Hope you’re having a great night!

Laramie

WKR
Well I’m adding as much value as 35 other comments in here, but I think you misunderstood my point.

If OP wanted anecdotal information, they wouldn’t have asked for sources/references. Typically, if I’m providing information to someone who asks for a source, I provide a source.

Hope you’re having a great night!
The problem is that "sources" are publishing numbers that are not consistent with what our experiences are telling us. I can tell you published population estimates are political and rarely accurate. Grizzly bears have more than recovered and have populations closer to 5k than the 1500-1800 in the lower 48 according to boots on the ground biologists that I have spoken with.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
even if they had accurate numbers (they don't) what geographic area would it be for? an estimate for a large geographic area doesn't tell anyone very much

would it be numbers from October or numbers from May or yesterday? obviously they can vary greatly seasonally

I think there is some very good information in this thread from folks who actually have spent time in these areas- not going to get much better than that.