The age old broadhead delima

sneaky

"DADDY"
I haven't used Silver Flames myself, but I do recall hearing the president of GrizzlyStik say in an interview that they didn't change the design of the broadhead when they acquired the Silver Flame name/manufacturing rights from German Kinetic.
They changed the steel they're made from, and they make them in China and charge the same price. They sent me a cease and desist letter from advertising the original Silver Flames when I sold them out of my shop. I wouldn't buy anything from ABS. You can get the real German Kinetics cheaper now anyways. Look up the price, do the Euro conversion, then deduct 19% because you don't have to pay the VAT tax. I've NEVER found a sharper head out of the package than the German Kinetics. That includes Iron Wills and all the new high dollar heads. You can get the GKs in 1 7/8" cut if you want, or 1 1/2" or 1 1/8".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
TradLife406
They changed the steel they're made from, and they make them in China and charge the same price. They sent me a cease and desist letter from advertising the original Silver Flames when I sold them out of my shop. I wouldn't buy anything from ABS. You can get the real German Kinetics cheaper now anyways. Look up the price, do the Euro conversion, then deduct 19% because you don't have to pay the VAT tax. I've NEVER found a sharper head out of the package than the German Kinetics. That includes Iron Wills and all the new high dollar heads. You can get the GKs in 1 7/8" cut if you want, or 1 1/2" or 1 1/8".

Yeah that shoulder hit was on me. Not denying that. I let that arrow go and it felt perfect. That arrow flew perfect. But whatever happened happened.
But now that's gotten in my head and I need to change heads lol.

That's what I was wondering how they compare Iron Wills. They're actually less expensive. I had some in my cart and they were 95 shipped.

How are the vents with noise?

Yep! I've got some of the huge Simmons for deer!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah that shoulder hit was on me. Not denying that. I let that arrow go and it felt perfect. That arrow flew perfect. But whatever happened happened.
But now that's gotten in my head and I need to change heads lol.

That's what I was wondering how they compare Iron Wills. They're actually less expensive. I had some in my cart and they were 95 shipped.

How are the vents with noise?

Yep! I've got some of the huge Simmons for deer!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
They are no more noisy than any other head. If you get some, be careful with them out of the pack. They are ridiculously sharp.

Sharpen any COC head and hit it with rifle bluing. If it takes blue....you're good. If not...it won't rust and you're good. Bluing is simply controlled rusting. Once it's blued....it won't rust.

hugh? Guns rust

Beendare

WKR
My take; I lose so many of these arrows from burrowing into the ground on a pass through [or blasphemy; a missed shot] that there is no way I'm putting a $40 BH on my arrow unless I'm hunting Cape buffalo.

I like shooting and don't want to take away from that.

The 2 I mostly shoot; VPA 150 gr 3 blade...or the Magnus 150gr Buzzcut

The buzzcut is stainless...scary cutting with that. The VPA's do need a little touch up every once in awhile. Both fairly inexpensive.

oldgoat

WKR
I'm using Cutthroat's and Valkyrie (cheaper model), have had good and bad luck with Cutthroat's, don't think it was the broadheads fault, they are easy to get scary sharp and a black sharpie over the silver areas or a little Vaseline does just fine to control the corrosion. Shot one deer with the Valkyrie and hit her in the gut, caught an artery by dumb luck and had the best blood trail I've ever had and she fell on the run less than 150 yds from my stand! You need to grease the Valkyries too, just part of the equation. I'll be carrying the same heads this year for my moose tag and my deer tags.

LostArra

WKR
there is no way I'm putting a $40 BH on my arrow unless I'm hunting Cape buffalo

I'm an Ace guy for my recurve and they have made some questionable hits very deadly (only one in the scapula of a deer). I like to practice with my broadheads as the season approaches and Ace are easy to sharpen. If I took longer shots or hunted something bigger than an elk I might consider something else but I really doubt it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm about to build up some arrows with 125gr ACE brass glue in adapters and most likely some 160 Ace standards. Don't have to worry about them screwing loose and I can align them all the same. Cheap and effective setup.

rwurdeman

FNG
Kinda in the same situation. Last year lost an animal with a single bevel broadhead hit and I am looking into a 3 blade head. The VPAs are good looking heads but I am getting a lot of noise from the head (like a missile taking off). Shot quite a few different fletching orientations and it seems like its the VPA 3 blade making the noise not anything else. Really want to shoot them this year (as I shoot them the best) but the noise has me worried the animal may duck before it gets there. Anyone else experience the same thing?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Kinda in the same situation. Last year lost an animal with a single bevel broadhead hit and I am looking into a 3 blade head. The VPAs are good looking heads but I am getting a lot of noise from the head (like a missile taking off). Shot quite a few different fletching orientations and it seems like its the VPA 3 blade making the noise not anything else. Really want to shoot them this year (as I shoot them the best) but the noise has me worried the animal may duck before it gets there. Anyone else experience the same thing?
You using a vented version of the head? I get zero head noise from my 3 blade vpa heads, but they aren't vented.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Mine are solid as well. It's not a whistle or anything like that more of a swoosh
You said you tried different fletching orientations... did you try the same fletches just oriented different? Or completely different fletching. Swoosh sounds like a fletching noise instead of a solid head noise.

rwurdeman

FNG
I have tried both oriented differently and different fletching trad vane and feather. In a perfect world, I would shoot 4 fletched trad vanes with a VPA at the end (I shoot that the best). Maybe I am just being overly worried about an animal ducking the arrow.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have tried both oriented differently and different fletching trad vane and feather. In a perfect world, I would shoot 4 fletched trad vanes with a VPA at the end (I shoot that the best). Maybe I am just being overly worried about an animal ducking the arrow.
You been listening to too many Snyder podcasts lol

sneaky

"DADDY"
I deleted my podcast app lol. Saves me money