The Alaska itch

mitschkeb

FNG
Well trip of a lifetime has came and gone spent this past September chasing moose now I'm hooked. Started looking for my next trip up on the trip home next time for caribou. I've spent countless hours researching transporters and areas so far have came up to either golden eagle outfitters or 40 mile so here's my question if logistics and price were not a problem where would you go to tag the biggest bulls.
dc1b68e4c9d44784e7e374bf88001bc4.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Bambistew

WKR
Western Alaska. I'm not sure why people are so enamored with hunting the 40 - mile country. The moose density isn't that high, some of the area is any-bull and really very few big bulls come out of that country. Nice bulls yes, but not giants. There are giants in Western Alaska, mostly because it sees far less pressure. YMMV

OP
M

mitschkeb

FNG
Western Alaska. I'm not sure why people are so enamored with hunting the 40 - mile country. The moose density isn't that high, some of the area is any-bull and really very few big bulls come out of that country. Nice bulls yes, but not giants. There are giants in Western Alaska, mostly because it sees far less pressure. YMMV
Thanks I was under that impression about moose as well we will be after caribou on this trip any ideas on those caribou herds

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Bambistew

WKR
I realized you were fishing for caribou after I posted, then the website locked up. haha. There are some really big caribou on the peninsula. The herd is small but sees very little pressure. Some the biggest bulls I see every fall come off the Peninsula.

The 40 Mile country has some nice bulls, but that is tough country to hunt.

I’d probably hunt the Western Arctic Caribou Herd, and fly out of Bettles or pump station 5. I don’t know if there are any world record’s running around up there, but the numbers can be staggering, and being in an area without seeing any form of human life for weeks on end can be a pretty cool experience as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk