The bad thing about maven binoculars

I have slowly upgraded gear the past few years and have come to understand the expression “ buy once, cry once”. I mainly hunt the east buy try to pull off two western hunts a year. I have mavens B2s and it has come yo be my favorite item. I bought a vortex diamondback rifle scope with the 50 mm objective. It’s now aggravating when I can watch deer 200 yards away with my binoculars 5 minutes before legal shooting light ends but I’m not able to see deer with my scope. My last hunt there was about a 10 minute difference in my binoculars and my scope. So I’m in the market for for a new scope. I’m wanting to stay around $1200. I’m looking for opinions for a scope that is comparable to my binoculars as far as clarity during low light, I’m looking at vortex, maven, swaro and Zeiss mainly. I’m wanting to have at least a 44mm objective size. My shooting mainly stays less then 350 but i like to shoot at 500. Like I say the biggest thing is being able to see deer with my Binos clearly and my rifle scope clearly at dark. As a side note, if you have a lesser then great rifle scope and you buy maven b2s be prepared to have the urge to upgrade your scope.

I upgraded to maven B2s just before muzzleloader opened this season. And what you say is true... If you buy B2s and don't have equally good scopes- be prepared to spend money on new scopes. I had vipers and monarch 7s previously. My hunting rifles sport razor HD LH models. I was happy with them last year, but the difference between my 1.5-8x32(I think) razor and the 9x B2 mavens is significant. At least 3 nights over the past week I could identify bucks vs doe and estimate age and general rack size at least 10-15 minutes longer with the B2 vs my scope. I've already started thinking about upgrading my scopes now. Idk if the maven scopes are as good as the B2 bins. That being said, I'm interested to see what everyone recommends.

VX5 HD is right in that price range and comes in 42mm and 44mm objective size. I see some in the classifieds occasionally for decent prices too. It has helped me locate and identify animals in very low light that I could not see. For a while, I had the opposite issue so I upgraded my binos since I don't like glassing with my riflescope.

OP
Forkieslayer
I upgraded to maven B2s just before muzzleloader opened this season. And what you say is true... If you buy B2s and don't have equally good scopes- be prepared to spend money on new scopes. I had vipers and monarch 7s previously. My hunting rifles sport razor HD LH models. I was happy with them last year, but the difference between my 1.5-8x32(I think) razor and the 9x B2 mavens is significant. At least 3 nights over the past week I could identify bucks vs doe and estimate age and general rack size at least 10-15 minutes longer with the B2 vs my scope. I've already started thinking about upgrading my scopes now. Idk if the maven scopes are as good as the B2 bins. That being said, I'm interested to see what everyone recommends.
So you running the razors HD LH scopes still have somewhat of the same problem? That’s one of the scopes I’ve been looking at. Maybe it would be close to the maven binos with a larger objective? I would love for someone with a maven scope to chime in.

So you running the razors HD LH scopes still have somewhat of the same problem? That’s one of the scopes I’ve been looking at. Maybe it would be close to the maven binos with a larger objective? I would love for someone with a maven scope to chime in.
I've got the old version 1.5-8 on my muzzleloader, and it's definitely no where near as bright. It was still legal shooting and I wasn't able to identify for a shot with the scope. whereas the B2 took me almost to the end of legal shooting. Maybe 3 or 4 minutes before and I could still ID.
I've got the old version 2-10 on my 3006, but haven't had a chance to compare them in the field. Should be a little bit closer because objective is bigger, and I feel like it was brighter than my 10x42 viper bins in the field last year.
And I have the newest lht that I haven't hunted with yet on a 308.
I'll chime back in Saturday night after using one of the bigger objectives in the field next to the maven bins

Yep, your scope and binoculars should have comparable glass. Sucks seeing game in your binoculars and not being able to see the game, completely or clearly, with your scope. Some folks run awesome scopes with their Wal-Mart binoculars. Don't understand that myself but that is what some folks do.

I've not had any issues with my Razor LHs (3-15) as far a low light. Same for my VX5HDs and VX6HD.

For a short list, look at the Zeiss V4, Razor LHT, and the VX5HD (if you are open to Leupold). Historically there are some great deals with the holidays; unsure this year do to ongoing supply chain delays.

elkguide

WKR
Once you can see "clearly" it is really hard to go back. Over the years I have been through most every brand and have had more "crying moments" thinking that I could save a little bit of money with something that was "just as good as -------------- (fill the blank). Unfortunately with the improvements in todays optics during daylight hours most glass is acceptable UNTIL you get down to those first few minutes and last few minutes each day. I'm a Swaro fan boy but I use a Maven rangefinder and their S1a spotter and find their glass to be excellent. My binos and scopes are all Swaro now and yes they are big money but I have yet to regret spending the extra money for those first and last few minutes of shooting time.

(I just have to be careful not to go to far before or past legal shooting time!)

mcseal2

WKR
My Huskemaw 5-20x50 lets me shoot any buck I can determine is a shooter with my binos. I carry Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42’s in my chest harness and usually also have Swaro 15x56’s on a tripod I use. If I can tell it’s a shooter with that combo I can kill it with the Huskemaw.

Ironic; I fell victim to the Maven B series earlier this year. Then I ordered a NF scope for my new rifle. Today's range trip has me pricing better scopes to replace a couple basic Vortex scopes. They worked okay until I knew better but now I know better.

Been super happy with the B.2 and VX5 HD combo, went through the same evolution after not being able to see a bull through the scope that I was watching with binos

Vaultman

WKR
Well thanks everyone for their input. I went with a zeiss v4 and so far i’am impressed. I just compared my maven b2s with the scope i was able to see well at 100 yards a few minutes after shooting light. I think they are going to be a great combination.
V4 is an Awesome scope. Exactly the one I would of recomended. Now I may need to think about adding some maven binos (to replace my old Monarchs).

I was in the same situation with a bear last year.
My current scope is a Bushnell nitro.
I just ordered a nightforce shv with a 56mm objective which I found a demo on europtic. Other scopes I was looking at where the swavorski z5 and the steiner predator 4.

Outwest

WKR
Well thanks everyone for their input. I went with a zeiss v4 and so far i’am impressed. I just compared my maven b2s with the scope i was able to see well at 100 yards a few minutes after shooting light. I think they are going to be a great combination.

Zeiss V4 is solid. Good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayhawk

WKR
You can't go wrong with Zeiss. Their glass is waaay better than Vortex, though Maven is getting closer. Only seen one instance where the scope didn't hold zero, and the manufacturer sent it to Germany no questions asked. Customer service is top notch.